What was your previous car and are you happy with the move?

Hi all,

Im new here and thinking about going g for a Superb Style 190 DSG under my company car scheme.

Ive driven Audis, A4, A5, BMW 325, 520 and so in exclusively since 1995 - guess I went for the perceived upmarket value of these German brands.

Now under my work scheme, its either a basic A4 120bhp or a really good Superb spec. 

I suppose I still have a mental barrier regarding the change, just wondering if anyone else walked away from any of the German brands to Skoda and if so, were you and are you happy with the change? 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry not an answer but 'perceived upmarket value' does hit the nail on the head.

A more expensive BMW or one on offer might actually be more upmarket, and Audi A4 or more so a A5 at the same price as a Skoda is likely rather similar or actually down market.

• Like 1

A more expensive BMW or one on offer might actually be more upmarket, and Audi A4 or more so a A5 at the same price as a Skoda is likely rather similar or actually down market.

As an example I specced an A6 as close as I could to my MKII Superb Estate (Elegance 170CR manual) the A6 was over 10K dearer, now think how many options you need to remove from the A6 to get get close to the Superb’s price.

It was the same again when I compared the new Passat to my current L&K Superb.

• Like 1

Mini Countryman Cooper SD 4x4 was the previous runabout.

It was £7k more expensive than my L&K (inc the Škoda discount), less capable and far less car for the money so no I don't regret the move except in one area. My 190 DSG 4x4 Estate gives exactly the same mpg, but should be much better. Mini stated 65mpg on ours but we struggled to get 42 and so gave it back as soon as we could. Oddly the BMW 1-Series with the very similar 2.0L engine produced significantly better mpg.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

Last cars - Volvo S40 for 6 months, BMW 5 Series, B7 Audi A4.

All of the above were built in the era before EU6 and were built to last with weight!

All of the above cars felt they were better built in the sense of door weights etc, however from a drive point of view the Superb drives as good if not better.

If you get in a Passat or an A4 (current generation) these feel slightly better built for the Passat and the A4/A6 better again with more premium touch finishes.

Is it worth the extra.... sort of... but as a company car driver i wont own the car as i have no plans to purchase it and therefore for a price v spec you cant really get much better as a new purchase.

• Like 1

I came to Skoda from a Merc C class estate and haven't looked back. Much more car for less money. Is there an Audi/Merc/BMW these days is that isn't fitted with Clarkson diameter wheels and back breaking suspension and ride. Even worse many of the usable options are only available on Sport models, even harder ride! No thanks, not anymore.

I am converted and have no intention of reverting. As you can guess from the comments I love the softer ride of the S3. My 150dsg goes plenty fast enough for me, handles the road well for such a big car and is very quiet for an oil burner. If you feel the need to massage your backside then switch to sport mode in the DCC and you can have a firmer ride.

For the next one I will, however, return to the petrolhead section. They are even quieter and smoother. Experience of mpg in the real world also looks to be much closer than the official figures.

Of course the real joy is when you pull up or get back to your car to see people looking puzzled. They see the L&K motif on the side and get confused. The look of disbelief on their faces when I say 'oh, it's a Skoda'   That is priceless and a unique experience that you won't get elsewhere  :clap:

• Like 2

Thanks all, interesting insights.

I suppose I'm indoctrinated by my love of the Beemers and Audis and its like drugs, its a habit thats hard to break.

Like Members , my car will be a company car also, so I don't have final say - but it boils down to a choice of A4 Attraction, with one extra, cruise control or a Superb Style, ythats the spec just under L & K here in Ireland, with the 190bhp DSG box.

I suppose it should be a no brainer? 

Edited by AidenL

Thanks all, interesting insights.

I suppose I'm indoctrinated by my love of the Beemers and Audis and its like drugs, its a habit thats hard to break.

Like Members , my car will be a company car also, so I don't have final say - but it boils down to a choice of A4 Attraction, with one extra, cruise control or a Superb Style, ythats the spec just under L & K here in Ireland, with the 190bhp DSG box.

I suppose it should be a no brainer? 

120Hp or 190Hp..... Yep, pretty simple choice.

• Like 2

Before ordering my new Superb I drove the A4 as I was considering a change but there was no comparison IMO.  The new A4 wasn't anywhere as good as my current SII even - I'm talking general comfort, ride and obviously when it comes to spec there is no comparison.  Of course, when it comes to space there is only one choice but not sure how important that factor might be for you.  BTW I have had four Octavias and the next one will be my third Superb.  Each time it comes to changing, I go through the same ritual, visiting the Audi and VW dealers etc but keep coming back to the same conclusion.....

• Like 1

I had company cars for 12 years and had the option of weekend test drives for my renewal this year.

Tried out an A6, 5 Series and Passat. They were all nice cars but I went for a new Superb Estate privately in the end as is just as good a car and spectacular value for money. Got my SEL Estate for under £24k when list price was £29k.

Compare that to an A6 at over £35k (after discount!) for a similar spec and the fact it's got more room and it's a total no-brainer.

Done 1,400 miles in it and it's a gorgeous relaxing drive. Can't fault it and really glad my ego didn't get the better of me.

• Like 2

I came from a BMW 3 series coupe.

(I still think it is one of the prettiest cars I've owned - it always made me look back and check it out when parked up.)

The Superb beats it hands down in almost every thing that really matters.

Practicality & comfort are the obvious ones to highlight but there are a huge number of little things that keep making me smile.

In fact smiling whilst I'm driving is something I do a lot more of these days.

I have become a far more relaxed driver, happy to sit behind a slower driver knowing the next obstruction is usually only a minute up the road.

The beemer may have been slightly quicker on paper but in the real world 99% of the time the Skoda is quick enough for me.

My lease runs until June 2018 so Skoda have plenty of time to come up with my next car - I can't wait to see what new toys they'll give me next time.

• Like 2

Previous 2 cars were a mk3 mondeo and a m4 mondeo. Great cars and the latter I had for 7 years (I'm a private buyer - no perks from employer) and have just sold it with great sadness. Tested new mondeo, superb, various SUV's and other cars. Came down to superb vs mondeo. Very tough choice as mondeo was a better driver's car but the superb had a far better interior. I buy my cars used but 6-9 months old with as few miles as possible and interestingly the mondeo was cheaper for the same spec (rapid depreciation eh?) and only needed servicing every 2 years but in the end went for a superb se-l executive 190 DSG 4x4 with park assist, smart light assist, lane assist, blind spot, 3 zone climate control + a few other bits. It was the sales manager's car at a Birmingham dealer and after haggling I reckon that I got a bargain - over £12k below list with only 6000 on the clock. The mondeo was too big outside but realtively small inside. The interior quality wasn't a patch on the superb and the infotainment system was clunky.

I've had it for a whole 6 days and I think I've fallen in love with it. Absolutely brilliant at what it does and oh so practical. No regrets about my decision. Time will tell but were off to a great start.

Edited by SandalSteve
  • Like 3

Previous car was a 1.8Tsi Octavia Scout. Was I happy with the move .... ? Well to be honest not 100% at the time. I really loved that car and it was mint but it was starting to use oil and the tensioner problems were playing on my mind.

I was considering a weekend toy at the time. Something with a bit of go and the new Superb was just, just taking orders and I kept coming back to the 280.

Well a year on .... Certainty no regrets now. Its a fabulous machine and I look forward to climbing into the cockpit for every drive.

Yeah their are a few niggles... A few rattles.... A few problems but I'm not bothered. The rattles I fix. The problems will get sorted.

• Like 1

Previously A4 estate but prior to that a selection including the other premium marques.

The Superb isn't a poor relation in any company. It's an incredible all rounder in my eyes and the 'premium-but-modest' image suits me down to the ground. Looks sharp and unfussy next to some of its contemporary peers.

Very happy with it.

• Like 2