EPC light on and limp mode 13 reg tsi vrs

Hi all

My 13 reg has developed a fault where car goes into limp mode and EPC warning light is shown on dash. Dealers had it last week and think it's a turbo fault but turbo appears fine apparently. They emailed skoda technical for next thing to check and gave the car back. Car again today in limp mode so dealers are picking up tomorrow to diagnose further. Car is 2 months out if warranty with only 21k on the clock. I'm hoping skoda will offer a gesture of goodwill towards the cost of repair!

Anyone else had this experience so I can tell the dealer to check an area etc?

Thanks

Long-shot. My 14-plate VRS TSI went into limp-mode twice shortly after driving through deep water (heavy rain, huge puddle). For me it appeared that one of the electrical connectors hidden behind the plastic under-shield had become soaked, most probably resulting in loss of signal/short. After pulling the connector apart, wiping it with a rag, and putting it back together, and leaving overnight - all was okay. I asked the Dealer to check for error codes during the next service but they said nothing was logged. Car has been fine for past ~2-years.

It may be worth checking all visible electrical connectors are dry and secure.

Edited by Orville

Dealer has come back and said it needs a new turbo. Luckily they will pay for the turbo and I'll pay for the fitting only at 400 quid.

I'll ask to see if they have any fault code info.

Dealer has come back and said it needs a new turbo. Luckily they will pay for the turbo and I'll pay for the fitting only at 400 quid.

I'll ask to see if they have any fault code info.

Have you attempted to push for further goodwill? Fully dealer serviced? Shouldn't be looking at a new turbo at 21k and just over 3 years old, but then again Orville had a nightmare getting anything from Skoda with his early faulty clutch.

Edited by ahenners

I'll not push for any more. I'm just relieved I've not had to pay the full amount as it's out of warranty.

I'm not sure if they are just guessing it's the turbo. I suppose I'll wait and see what tomorrow brings when they fit the new one.

glad to hear you got your car sorted.

my personal opinion some users don't want the hassle but i'd have pushed for the whole job to be paid for. if the turbo wasn't fit for purpose why should you have to pay for them to fit a replacement in? both parts and labour should be free. be it in warranty or out or even slightly out.. with full skoda service history and low mileage that is a defect turbo.

maybe you can write to skoda to claim back the labour as they supplied a faulty part originally.

glad to hear you got your car sorted.

my personal opinion some users don't want the hassle but i'd have pushed for the whole job to be paid for. if the turbo wasn't fit for purpose why should you have to pay for them to fit a replacement in? both parts and labour should be free. be it in warranty or out or even slightly out.. with full skoda service history and low mileage that is a defect turbo.

maybe you can write to skoda to claim back the labour as they supplied a faulty part originally.

Did you know if you wanted to try and pull the "not fit for purpose" card that you'd have to prove the fault was already present at the point of sale and then the grievance would be with the supplying dealer, Skoda would have nothing to do with it.

That coupled with the car being well out of warranty (FSSH or not) would probably end up with an embarrassing result in court for the accusing party...

That fact they've already offered to partially cover the bill seems more than reasonable.

You don't get that sort of support with any other products, when your warranty period ends you either take out an extended policy or you're on your own.

• Like 1

Although I see the point, my calipers seized on my mk2fl, just after it was 3 years old. One thing I will always praise is what skoda did, covered 80% of the cost and the dealer covered the other 10%.

In terms of goodwill gestures skoda are incredibly generous, unfortunately some people are incredibly ungrateful.

They are not always so generous. Skoda (and some of their their Authorised Dealers) can occasionally be incredibly inept and shockingly unhelpful. I think much depends upon the quality of the particular Dealer. I have had both good and dreadful encounters.