Skoda wheel nut wrench length?

Just wondering what's currently offered in the standard kit?

Got some new tyres today and I usually check I can undo the bolts before they put the trims back on. Today I also noted what torque they used and it's 110nm. They did use a proper torque wrench, not the gun, but even so, when I double checked that rating, it could have been up to 120 on some charts. That equates to 81-88.5 ft lbs.

My wrench is the telescopic type so 500mm extended, but I'm probably pulling around the 450mm point on the handle, so circa a 54-59lb lift! On those figures I think I may now also pack some gas pipe in future. I suspect that with the factory supplied wrench, it's closer to the full 81-88.5lb (or greater, if you can't get the full foot of leverage).

Edited by icarusi@hotmail

Not sure what torque I tighten mine up to, I use a long length torque wrench from the garage where I do any major tinkering on my car, push until the first click. I don't have any problems taking the wheel nuts out with the small size lever from the spare wheel well. And haven't ever had a wheel overtake me either.

JRJG

My standard procedure with the normal short wrench in the kit is -

Place on nut such that handle is aimed slightly downwards for a counterclockwise twist to be down.

lift right leg and stamp hard on wrench handle for a flat contact between sole of shoe and wrench.

reoeat for 5 bolts, jack up undo fully. Change wheel, replace bolts and then give a final downward stamp to make sure theyre done.

im a lightweight (65kg/10stone after a big dinner) and ive never had an issue... even changed a few stranded lady's tyres on roadside using the same technique on anything up to a big SUV and never a bother.

• Like 1

My standard procedure with the normal short wrench in the kit is -

Place on nut such that handle is aimed slightly downwards for a counterclockwise twist to be down.

lift right leg and stamp hard on wrench handle for a flat contact between sole of shoe and wrench.

reoeat for 5 bolts, jack up undo fully. Change wheel, replace bolts and then give a final downward stamp to make sure theyre done.

im a lightweight (65kg/10stone after a big dinner) and ive never had an issue... even changed a few stranded lady's tyres on roadside using the same technique on anything up to a big SUV and never a bother.

Not keen on dynamic loadings. Had too many skinned knuckles, shins and flying spanners/hammers, to use that style (unless stuck/emergency).

I keep a length of pipe (from an old set of cheap weights) in the car having been caught out before.

I've had wheel nuts put on so tightly that I've bent the supplied wrench taking them off.

It's always worth taking the wheels off every so often anyway to stop them bonding.

• Like 1

Oh yes; I've had wheel nuts that took my (then) 12 stones shocking a 3 foot breaker bar to get moving! (that means using a friend's shoulders to help me balance whilst I bounced on the end of the bar, and another friend sat in the car and pushed the foot brake as hard as they could!)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a dial type torque wrench n the back for torqueing up my alloys. I find it does the job as well as the dear ones, and it's a lot less of a temptation for the break in blokes. No ratchet, so it's ideal for getting the nuts off after they've been on for a while, by jumping on the handle.

But in an emergency, there's nothing to beat a long-handled bar lifted by a small car jack ( with someone in car with foot on brakes).

Edited by VWD

Or just apply the hand brake and loosen (break the seal) the nuts / bolts before you lift the vehicle.

Then chock the other wheels before lifting if you are releasing the hand brake.

Torque once on the ground again with the hand brake applied and the chocks still in place.

• Like 1

Hence  ,on #8, I alluded to wheels on ground, foot on brake, and using a small jack( on the wheel brace) to break the nuts after a visit to the local tyre place. Not the first time I've had to do this after meeting a stranded female with a puncture ,and last time wheels were off was at local tyre place.