EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

Dept for Exiting the EU making an arse of themselves on Twitter.

Two spikes of growth, one in the early 70's and again in the early 90's. (wonder why?)

Comments are gold

2 hours ago, domhnall said:

Looks like an article full of ifs, buts and maybe's, something from the days of project fear.

In other news -

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has upgraded UK growth for the second time in four months to further reflect the resilience of the domestic economy so far in 2017.

In its latest World Economic Outlook, the IMF increased its UK GDP growth forecast by 0.5 percentage points to 2% for 2017, the biggest upgrade of any major economy meaning it is expected to grow faster than all other G7 economies besides the US.

In January, the IMF revised its UK forecast by 0.4 percentage points to 1.5% on stronger forecasted figures, meaning the country has seen an upward revision of 0.9 percentage points in total so far in 2017.  

7 hours ago, domhnall said:

Al least Bloomberg is crammed with facts ie market statistics such as equity markets values, bond values, commodities, gilts.  Yes there are invited guests and there own correspondences and they get top names to comment such as Christine La Garde, CEOs etc.

The alternative of listening to Fox News/Sky etc I know which one I can stand to listen to.  

Bloomberg fasts as same as those issued by the UK Office of National Statistics, though even the UK ONS seems to put a spin on facts.

Facts are that Retail and Consumer Price inflation is rising quickly and wage growth is slipping behind meaning most people, bar the top 10-20% who have the large tax cuts due to the big move in the start point of the higher rate of income tax, dropping the 50% rate, lowering corporate tax rate means there are some winners but mostly losers.     

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laurie61 said:

Looks like an article full of ifs, buts and maybe's, something from the days of project fear.

In other news -

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has upgraded UK growth for the second time in four months to further reflect the resilience of the domestic economy so far in 2017.

In its latest World Economic Outlook, the IMF increased its UK GDP growth forecast by 0.5 percentage points to 2% for 2017, the biggest upgrade of any major economy meaning it is expected to grow faster than all other G7 economies besides the US.

In January, the IMF revised its UK forecast by 0.4 percentage points to 1.5% on stronger forecasted figures, meaning the country has seen an upward revision of 0.9 percentage points in total so far in 2017.  

2% growth is the lowest growth rate of any post recession period in over a century and is being feed by the return of inflation whilst many are now resorting to additional credit to stay afloat. 

The anti-immigration ones, including Trump supporters, might like to check out the lead scientists in this field of research 

http://www.cemag.us/news/2017/04/black-phosphorus-could-revolutionize-electronics?et_cid=5921088&et_rid=916553762&type=cta&et_cid=5921088&et_rid=916553762&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cemag.us%2fnews%2f2017%2f04%2fblack-phosphorus-could-revolutionize-electronics%3fet_cid%3d5921088%26et_rid%3d%%subscriberid%%%26type%3dcta

they could go back to China and give them even more of a leg-up.........not to mention the increase in foreign debt.

will there be an IQ test applied to migration?.

11 hours ago, moley said:

Any idea how many EU contracts have been awarded to British companies?

No idea. I have minions looking on my behalf. But considering that every company that trades freely with EU member states at the moment has, in effect, got a free trade agreement then it could be in the thousands.

10 hours ago, Ryeman said:

The anti-immigration ones, including Trump supporters, might like to check out the lead scientists in this field of research 

http://www.cemag.us/news/2017/04/black-phosphorus-could-revolutionize-electronics?et_cid=5921088&et_rid=916553762&type=cta&et_cid=5921088&et_rid=916553762&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cemag.us%2fnews%2f2017%2f04%2fblack-phosphorus-could-revolutionize-electronics%3fet_cid%3d5921088%26et_rid%3d%%subscriberid%%%26type%3dcta

they could go back to China and give them even more of a leg-up.........not to mention the increase in foreign debt.

will there be an IQ test applied to migration?.

IQ test for UK politician, results so far, are that they finding it difficult to find a Politician with an IQ.

However, EGO test are showing that they are all hitting top marks, vanity is very close to that level me thinks. 

Edited by vrskeith

Check out the questions that are asked to get UK Citizenship. 

I certainly can not answer most of them.  If i get deported from the UK i hope i get taken to Gibraltar rather than the Falklands.

WTF is it with the UK Government and how they treat people that are actually Hard Working Families and putting something into the economy & the community.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-39657447 

Edited by Awayoffski

11 hours ago, Lee01 said:

No idea. I have minions looking on my behalf. But considering that every company that trades freely with EU member states at the moment has, in effect, got a free trade agreement then it could be in the thousands.

The article that you posted relates to the EU tendering contracts out and not private companies.

55 minutes ago, moley said:

The article that you posted relates to the EU tendering contracts out and not private companies.

It's probably very difficult to work it out as such contracts won't just be let by the EU,  but by governments,  government agencies, as well as non governmental agencies, educational bodies and charities.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, trundlenut said:

It's probably very difficult to work it out as such contracts won't just be let by the EU,  but by governments,  government agencies, as well as non governmental agencies, educational bodies and charities.

so they'd likely total in the what............. thousands? Maybe more?

3 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

We were such ungrateful sods!

quartic steering wheels, hydrolastic suspension and guranteed many sundays filling holes with Plastic Padding. The most fortunate could afford a DIY welder to repair factory fitted rusting sills expertly fitted by striking Brummies

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

quartic steering wheels, hydrolastic suspension and guranteed many sundays filling holes with Plastic Padding. The most fortunate could afford a DIY welder to repair factory fitted rusting sills expertly fitted by striking Brummies

Globalisation fixed all that..........I thought 

Oh well, back to basket weaving.

10 hours ago, Lee01 said:

so they'd likely total in the what............. thousands? Maybe more?

Probably.  All the larger projects directly tendered by a Government body will go through OJEU and will be more straightforward to trace. But I was at a conference a few weeks ago where a paper was presented on a project done by a private UK company together with a Dutch university as part of an EU funded project which was managed by a German university who had won the tender to do the work in the first place.

Interestingly it was a project that could not have taken place in the UK as it involved nano technology,  the particular aspect of which has been completely banned in the UK until it can demonstrated to be safe, which can't be done in the UK as it has been banned. 

• Like 1

Curve ball (or a googly if you prefer).............

I've been wondering if Brexit is a hot potato that nobody wants and that maybe the tories are trying to throw the election so they don't have to deal with it. Quite a few tories, labs and one Indy have resigned or not standing (George Osborne, Eric Pickles, Gisela Stewart, Douglas Carswell Alan Johnson, Andy Burnham) and some big hitters from the Lib Dems are making a comeback (Sir Vince Cable, Sir Simon Hughes, Sir Ed Davey and Sir Bob Russell). And then I was reminded of this from TM's A50 speech in March "Perhaps now, more than ever the world needs the liberal, democratic values of Europe". THE LIBERAL, DEMOCRATIC VALUES OF EUROPE. Was she being deliberate in her choice of words? Full speech here (that quote is under a graph titled 'EU Citizens in the UK' 2nd para) > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/article-50-letter-read-full-brexit-theresa-may-takes-uk-out-of-eu-statement-a7655566.html

Like I said. Brexit is a hot potato nobody wants so, if the tories are out it falls into the lab of Labour or............... long shot I know but, The Lib Dems.

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

I'm somewhat surprised that the election hasn't been turned into another Brexit vote.

Surely there's an opportunity going begging.

a lot of people are already saying it is. Votes may well shift to the more pro Remain parties. There'll be a lot of tactical voting.