Water in my Felicia

Hello everybody,

it's now 1 month ago that i drive my Felicia and today I noticed that there was water at the driver side.
Does anyone of you  already had this problem? How can I find the leak?

Interior water leaks are very deceiving. The source of the leak could be a little farther of the actual dripping area given the shape of the dashboard.

I suspect the following faults:

• bad windshield rubber seal, plugged drain and body perforation under it (mostly at corners)
  • bad grommets around cables/pipes passing through firewall
  • perforated firewall

Finding the leak needs a garden hose, a good flashlight and some contortion to look under the dashboard after removing the lower plastic panels.

Edited by RicardoM

I had the same thing happen on my Felicia in the passenger and drivers side I used a product called (don't laugh) "Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure" here's a link but you can purchase it at other places

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/creeping-crack-cure-60ml/238?gclid=CMjdvuu9lNACFVcz0wodBmEKYA

I first cleaned the rubber window seal and used as directed and it worked no more leaks and that was a couple of years ago no leaks now and boy do we get some rain in England at times.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

So it was to cold the last day for working outside lol that's why i give more info now.

I poured water on the windscreen and, there is no water getting into  the cabin but in the engine bay view photo.

Is it normal to have water there when its raining ? Knowing that the bonnet was closed.

post-132001-0-66225200-1478782718_thumb.jpg

post-132001-0-42881300-1478782844_thumb.jpg

nimbus

In fact what quantity of water on the floor mat are we talking about? When does it occur?

Is it normal to have water there when its raining ? Knowing that the bonnet was closed.

No, it's not. Some drain is plugged or some seals are bad. Perhaps you should lift the cover of the plenum chamber to take a closer look.

nimbus

In fact what quantity of water on the floor mat are we talking about? When does it occur?

Good question, I didn't take a picture when there was water on the floor but it was inn of for creating a little puddle. Maybe the same size as a computer keyboard. Also I suppose that the water is entering the cabin after a long time that it's raining, because the foam that is located under the dashboard absorb the water until its full. That's maybe why I didn't see that the floor mate was wet before.

Those are not exactly screws, they're plastic clips. Maybe you'll be able to pull/unscrew them. I ended up cutting them then buying new ones (6U0819645).

9TMzGJl.jpg

So i  lift the cover of the plenum chamber for a closer look, was quite dirty but didn't really see perforations. Does somebody have a tip for testing if the rubber of the windscreen is defect ?

post-132001-0-44051900-1479035240_thumb.jpg

post-132001-0-23244700-1479035293_thumb.jpg

post-132001-0-03211800-1479035440_thumb.jpg

nimbus

Let's look at it this way. The windscreen seal is 17 years old. The windscreen is not bonded, just pressed. Weather in the UK... we all know about it. Under the dash there's lots of foam capable of absorbing lots of water so very hard to catch leaks in real time. The water should drip from above (duh). Under the windscreen seal, at lower corners, there are drain holes. They usually rust (same if not worse in tailgate area) and perforate bigger holes. Conclusion? Remove the windscreen, buy a new original seal, clean/repair/repaint rusty areas, install windscreen. No more leaks.

Edited by RicardoM

Very helpful photo. it shows what I've described previously. Any other Felicia repair/maintenance photos in your vault?

Take your pick; Credit where credits' due please :)

http://s708.photobucket.com/user/LeeArnold09/library/Skoda

If you have any questions about any pics just ask.

Edited by Lee A

Take your pick; Credit where credits' due please :)

Sure, Lee. No problem. My only interest in repair photos in general is to assist me explaining detail things.

Could you explain how did you repair all those rusty areas behind the windscreen seal? Some people aren't aware what hidden damage lies under a otherwise perfectly looking seal. When they see it, they might not know what to do next.

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Sure, Lee. No problem. My only interest in repair photos in general is to assist me explaining detail things.

Could you explain how did you repair all those rusty areas behind the windscreen seal? Some people aren't aware what hidden damage lies under a otherwise perfectly looking seal. When they see it, they might not know what to do next.

All I did was clean up the rust bits with a wire wool/sand paper, use a bit of Kurust (rust inhibitor) to stop the spread, body filler to smooth it out and covered it in under-seal spray.

I didn't bother body colouring it as it wasn't visible once the seal was replaced.

Well I see. So it need to take off the windscreen and after repairing the hole, put a new seal and the windscreen. This looks to hard for doing it myself and I already know this is to expensive for me right now, does any of you know if there is a other solution until I can do it properly ? Doe's products like that one work :

I had the same thing happen on my Felicia in the passenger and drivers side I used a product called (don't laugh) "Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure" here's a link but you can purchase it at other places

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/creeping-crack-cure-60ml/238?gclid=CMjdvuu9lNACFVcz0wodBmEKYA

I first cleaned the rubber window seal and used as directed and it worked no more leaks and that was a couple of years ago no leaks now and boy do we get some rain in England at times.

Well I see. So it need to take off the windscreen and after repairing the hole, put a new seal and the windscreen. This looks to hard for doing it myself and I already know this is to expensive for me right now, does any of you know if there is a other solution until I can do it properly ? Doe's products like that one work :

Unfortunately the only option to repair leak is to take the screen off. My Dad and I got a new windscreen (£99 at the time) and seal (£?IRC) from a Skoda dealership (Caffyns) and replaced them both on the driveway and fixed the hole in a couple hours :)

Unfortunately the only option to repair leak is to take the screen off. My Dad and I got a new windscreen (£99 at the time) and seal (£?IRC) from a Skoda dealership (Caffyns) and replaced them both on the driveway and fixed the hole in a couple hours :)

OK thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Check the foam under dash I guarantee it be the window screen just had same problem with my 16v original screen leak free had to have this replaced due to stone chip turned to a crack (bass) auto glass came out fitted new screen leaked ring back out sealed it still leaked... came back out replaced rubber cracked the screen... 3rd screen has now been sealed in and not leaking no rust in fame as original one was leak free best £75 spent 3 screens and still lifetime warranty if it leaks

• 2 weeks later...