Starting problems superb 2

My 2012 superb 2.0l diesel has started to play up on starting.

I think it may be the battery not holding charge so does anyone have any suggestions for a higher rated replacement?

I recently moved work location so I'm thinking that the very short 3 mile journey is not allowing the battery to be fully charged each run like it would on a longer run.

Open to suggestions!!

Is it the original battery? If yes then it may need changing anyway. I am on my second battery, though the first was replaced at two years under warranty but as Offski said little short journeys will add to that problem.

My 2012 superb 2.0l diesel has started to play up on starting.

I think it may be the battery not holding charge so does anyone have any suggestions for a higher rated replacement?

I recently moved work location so I'm thinking that the very short 3 mile journey is not allowing the battery to be fully charged each run like it would on a longer run.

Open to suggestions!!

Is it the original battery? If so, at 4 years old it's probably getting a bit tired. These get good reviews:-

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/varta-e44.html

Dave

As the weather gets colder the charge the battery can hold will drop, so any weakness will be shown up. I've noticed my car cranks for another half second before starting at the moment compared to the summer. I would have thought a 3 mile drive should be plenty to charge the battery back up for the next start though, I'd be a lot more worried about killing the DPF unless you go for longer drives at the weekends.

A bicycle makes a lot more sense for this distance anyway, though I'm somewhat biased - I bought my car specifically because I can throw a fully assembled bike into the boot - nothing short of towing hammers fuel economy like external bike racks and there tends to be at least 1 or 2 bikes in my car for every trip I take...

If the battery is the original 2012 one, just change it. The winter will probably kill it and do so at really inconvenient time.

Skoda do lots of things brilliantly but their choice of factory battery is not "simply clever". Uprating to something better like drefaldwyn suggests is a very good idea, 

Be careful if you have the stop/start system though - you need a stop/start rated battery if that's the case.

Since the alternator on newer cars turns on and off to save engine load when the battery has enough charge (And to sort of act as regenerative braking), the car needs to be told the capacity of the battery that is being installed if it's different to the OEM one to get the best life and performance from the battery. I'm not sure when this became a requirement though. I'd definitely go for a few more Wh than the OEM battery if I was changing.

Mine is just starting to labour on the first cold start of the day. I have just been quoted £167.25 to replace it at my local Skoda dealer.

After having a small lie down I want to find an alternative if possible.

Anyone got a better suggestion in the Worcester/herefordshire area???

Are there any reasons why I can't replace it myself? Any procedure required to avoid losing car setup?

Edited by Bristolf2b

Mine is just starting to labour on the first cold start of the day. I have just been quoted £167.25 to replace it at my local Skoda dealer.

Are there any reasons why I can't replace it myself? Any procedure required to avoid losing car setup?

As long as you don't let them do anything else, a battery is well within the capabilities of a "fast fit" place.

Try online Eurocarparts.com have lots of outlets to name just one.

Unit 1, 201 Great Western Business Park, Tolladine Road, Worcester

Worcester, WR4 9GN

Telephone

01905 732 987

Replacing the battery is a very easy job to do yourself. All you need is a basic socket set. I saw somewhere that undoing the negative terminal first when disconnecting is recommended - you just disconnect the negative to power down things like airbags when working near them too. If you're ordering a battery online make sure it's a reputable source and check the dimensions.

See post #4.

The Varta E44 is a Bosch S5 without the expensive Bosch stickers.

A very well respected battery and a good improvement over the standard Skoda specs.

They can be had for less than £70 delivered to your door.

Skoda's £170 is ridiculous.

• Like 1