octavia problems after lowering.

Hello Briskoda.
Sorry for my bad english, not my native language.

I have a octavia 2.0 TDI, 150hp, combi, style from 2016th
It has been lowered 40mm with HR springs.

After that, it started to jump / quiver and it is worst above 45mph.
It is the worst with 18 " (40 profile), but it is also with the winter tires 16" rims.

The mechanic could not find anything wrong with the car and has balanced the tires again, with minor corrections.
It's annoying, but some may think it's not so bad. Now there's also winter tires on. So for spring, it will be bad again.

It does not feel like tiresout of balance. It is not constant, but it is almost all the time. Even when driving on a road which is very new and seems to be level.
If i drive the same road in my s-max, which is also lowered 40mm with HR, then this tremors are not there

Skoda can not help, because it is not original springs:
my mechanic would like to help but do not know what is wrong.

Unfortunately, the car was the lowered the same time I got the new 18 " wheels and the original alu (16"), got winter tires mounted, they sat on some steel rims that came with the car.
The car was 5 month old and had 3000 miles when I bought it and there were no problems.

The mechanic checked the car and cannot find anything wrong.
I can not exclude the wheels, since I have not run with them before I got it lowered.

But should also be a little mysterious that 2 sets of wheels, where doing the same.
Any suggestions on how I proceed with troubleshooting.

Are the lowered springs suitable with the stock dampers fitted ? If not could cause instability in your setup and suspension won't track correctly ? I may be totally incorrect though !

They should be and they are also the correct ones for that exact car.

They work for both type of rear suspension, that are on the Octavia types.

They are HR 28833-2

Nothing wrong with driveshafts? Is the inner joint properly mounted to gearbox flange? I seem to remember that the inner driveshaft joint must be taken of to get room to remove shockabsorber. Like that on golf7.

Just guessing, but must be a rotating part which gives the symptoms.

Have you used the original wheel bolts?

Your new wheels may require taper seated bolts - using the original radius seated ones with aftermarket wheels could cause vibration, I would check that as a matter of urgency as they won't be secure, even if they feel fully tightened!

• Like 1

Is the car sitting on its bump stops?

They also ask this, from where i bought the springs.

I dont see how it could be sitting on the bumb stops, when the original bump stop is removed.

I dont see any bumpstops on the rear springs. Is that correct, that there arent any. 

Are they origional 18" skoda alloys or aftermarket? If not is the wheel centre bore correct?

The problem is there on the aftermarked 18" wheels, but also on the original 16" alu.

The center bore fits as there are adapters in and they are correct.

Have you used the original wheel bolts?

Your new wheels may require taper seated bolts - using the original radius seated ones with aftermarket wheels could cause vibration, I would check that as a matter of urgency as they won't be secure, even if they feel fully tightened!

The original bolt is on now, with the original wheels.

There is new bolts with the aftermarked 18" wheels. There are a little longer than the original.

There are bump stops on the shocks not the springs. I'm on h&r and they se d shorter bump stops for the front but the back is not needed.

On spring or shocks. the same for me.

Yes they sit inside the springs on the shockasorbers.

On spring or shocks. the same for me.

Yes they sit inside the springs on the shockasorbers.

They are on the shock absorbers that disappear into the top of the wheel arch. The springs are separate to the shocks

So I've felt something like this myself. Both on my A2 and on another - new!- ST TDCI Demo car.

It feels a little like there are small stones on the road which is otherwise perfectly flat, no? I'm reasonably sure this is actually a function of the springs / dampers being new and stiff and too stiff for the dampers to do their work properly. I felt it quite a bit with Eibachs and FSDs but I don't feel it any more with B8s. The ST was <1500kms old. The A2 has a different problem where the centering ring doesn't sit 100% correctly in the wheel, that causes all sorts of minor vibrations at speed.   

Did you just change springs? If so, I'd be inclined to drive it for a while and see if it goes away. If it does not, then replace the springs again and see what happens. It's possible they're simply too stiff in combination with standard / non-sport dampers.

- Bret

So I've felt something like this myself. Both on my A2 and on another - new!- ST TDCI Demo car.

It feels a little like there are small stones on the road which is otherwise perfectly flat, no? I'm reasonably sure this is actually a function of the springs / dampers being new and stiff and too stiff for the dampers to do their work properly. I felt it quite a bit with Eibachs and FSDs but I don't feel it any more with B8s. The ST was <1500kms old. The A2 has a different problem where the centering ring doesn't sit 100% correctly in the wheel, that causes all sorts of minor vibrations at speed.   

Did you just change springs? If so, I'd be inclined to drive it for a while and see if it goes away. If it does not, then replace the springs again and see what happens. It's possible they're simply too stiff in combination with standard / non-sport dampers.

- Bret

I have driven 3000 miles with the springs. No change.

The car feels just as stiff as my Ford S-Max, which also has H&R 40mm springs on, and here there are no problems.

The H&R springs on my Octavia is one of the most used springs, when just lowering 40mm.

When you say 'replace the springs again' do you mean like taking them out an put them back in again.