ECU flash & dealer TD1 flag

Hi,

If i buy my own UNIConnect cable and flash back a stock firmware onto the ECU before it goes to a VAG shop, will they still figure out it has been "chipped" and flag it TD1? What i know so far is that there is an ECU flash counter and that the TD1 flagging is automatic by the diagnostic software in connected shops since 2013. What i dont know is if the TD1-determination looks at flash counter + exact version or only if it is a genuine VAG firmware on the ECU by a simple checksum. Im thinking that they could have a database of all modifications and which exact firmware was flashed so even if you flash a slightly different but still stock firmware they could then detect that. UNIConnect cannot read the current firmware for backup purposes, i would be at the mercy of whatever stock version they have on their server.

In other news: Is there any cable that will both read & write a 2017 vRS ECU firmware? I have an up to date VCP and it does not support reading the flash. 5G0906259C.

Edited by maciekish

If it is flashed to a complete stock file they will not flag the td1. The flash counter is pretty errelevant as you are legally allowed to have a software update done away from the main dealer. I had a mk7 gti which went in for guided fault finding after being flashed from Revo stage 1 and back to stock with no td1 flag.

Confused by mention of legal. Do you mean Servicing outwith the VW Group Main Dealerships? 

Yes you can have Servicing & Maintenance doing where you want, VAT Registered and all that stuff, OEM Fluids & consumables etc,.

For remaps from the standard manufacturers software it is your car and between you and your insurance provider to declare it.

But as far as remapping that is between you and the Warranty Provider and Skoda / VW say in the Warranty that non factory approved Engine Management Voids

the Manufacturers Warranty, so they can refuse warranty claims then you are left to prove any Remap was not the reason for failures.

http://skoda.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/Brochures/Warranty-Booklet-single.pdf

Page 6.

As far as making a Warranty Claim and the Underwriters not knowing there is a remap then maybe no count shows, but then maybe they are not looking, 

but if the bill is several thousand Pound or even Euro they will be asking the claimant to sign a declaration there is no Software changes, 

and they can check with your insurer if they think there was, or if they suspect someone is trying to defraud them.

Edited by Offski

Regardless of whether it's been flashed back to stock, even with the original file it changes a string of rolling code (that changes with every flash and never reverts back to the original) that is compared with what the vehicle left the factory with.

If the code is different then there is evidence of ECU manipulation in some form, whether they then choose to implement TD1 status is up to them. A dealer can also request a car be branded with TD1 too.

If they need to clarify that aftermarket ECU software has been the cause of a fault or failure then it's very easy for them with the info they obtain from a scan.

To be fair though; I think dealers flagging TD1 is bad move on their part and will see the owners of modified vehicles avoiding them.

So we all want dealers to be straight with us and repair faults inside and quite often, outside of warranty with goodwill thrown in. However we also want to present cars for fault diagnosis and warranty-type repair, hiding the fact that they've been been used with non-standard out-of-parameter software and possible additional stress on components. Sounds perfectly fair to me.

• Like 3

What about a different flag that may be raised on using tuning box, is this true? Mentioned here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/411162-dyno-test-of-dtuk-box/page-4#entry4751207

When I next see Edward Snowden the 'source', I'll update with more info - unless James can provide some in the meantime?