Rust on wheel hub

Perfectly normal.

Some people paint them, after cleaning the rust off, with a proprietary rust inhibiting paint.  I just clean them and put a thin smear of copper grease on as a barrier.

Gaz

• Like 2

that's a relief! what is the best way to remove the rust?

what kind of paint are we talking about? does it need high heat resistance?

Perfectly normal.

Some people paint them, after cleaning the rust off, with a proprietary rust inhibiting paint.  I just clean them and put a thin smear of copper grease on as a barrier.

Gaz

Edited by lab4games

A decent wire brush and a bit of elbow grease will see you right.

High temperature zinc spray paints from the likes of Tunap and Wurth would be suitable - in my opinion.

Gaz

• Like 1

I'd not get too worked up- every car I have owned over 40 years has had rusty hubs. To avoid the wheels sticking I'd also advise cleaning the rust off with a wire brush before treating as above. Use an appropriate paint for metal. Copper grease is also a good idea when used very sparingly (don't get it on the brake discs)

• Like 1

As above, perfectly normal. If disappointing in the 21st century.

I wouldn't waste time with paint. It will not last and too much in the wrong place will contribute to wheels possibly sticking on the hub.

I'd also go with the wire brush or emery cloth rub down and then sparingly apply copper grease to the flat surface where the alloy wheel touches and around the centre spigot that centres the wheel. Mount the wheel then rotate it to spread the grease before inserting first bolt.

I recently changed over to my winter wheels and did have to kick 2 out of four wheels loose after removing the bolts as they were stuck to the hub. My worst battle some years ago was having to take a long crow bar to wrestle a stuck alloy off a Lupo after a puncture.

Greasy hubs will be your friend :-)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Petunet, beautiful job there. Afraid that I was too lazy (and knackered) for anything more than a smear of copper grease when I changed back to the summer tyres - maybe next time I have the wheels off. 

Mine went after about 6 months, Hammerite Smooth Silver nailed that.

A further 32 months down the line, still looking good.

On 17/03/2017 at 15:15, Mence said:

Mine went after about 6 months, Hammerite Smooth Silver nailed that.

A further 32 months down the line, still looking good.

Just tried painting mine with Hammerite and can't get it to "stick". Might take a few coats.

Half ords VHT silver on the disc hubs and edges for me. Cheap, looks OEM, goes straight on and touch dry in 5 mins. Also normally enough in the can for a second application next year to freshen them up again.

• Like 2