ComingHome / LeavingHome not working after enabling

Hi Guys,

Recently activated the CH/LH via VCDs on my 2012 Octavia VRS FL and few other features like

fog lamp cornering lights etc. Everything works fine however the CH/LH don't seem to work even with 

the options ticked in MFD. 

Same issue as mentioned here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/184601-chlh-lights-on-octavia-ii1z/

Although I am to revisit the settings in VCDS once the member of forum who helped me is free. 

Am just wondering any other thoughts guys? I also have to add that the car came with aftermarket canbus HIDS where one of the dipped beam stopped working yesterday after the setting in VCDS and my rear wiper has also decided to pack in. Can the HIDs be the cause of them not working?

Thanks

Edited by singh946

Typical failure of aftermarket HIDs on the FL is a permanently lit front indicator although it can damage anything BCM related.

Does your car have auto headlights, auto wipers or a RLS (rain light sensor) behind the rearview mirror?

Do you have an autoscan from VCDS?

Typical failure of aftermarket HIDs on the FL is a permanently lit front indicator although it can damage anything BCM related.

Does your car have auto headlights, auto wipers or a RLS (rain light sensor) behind the rearview mirror?

Do you have an autoscan from VCDS?

Thanks for the reply man. I am ripping apart the HIDs tomorrow and installing Osram nightbreakers. 

Car has none of the mentioned above. I have even tried homecoming with the light switch on but still

doesn't work. 

I should be able to provide you with an autoscan file this evening. Just waiting on it being sent over. 

The autoscan had few errors however we cleared them (saved a copy) and then ran the scan again. 

Came up with no errors. 

Car has none of the mentioned above.

For correct automatic CH/LH behaviour, you'll need to fit a RLS and auto switch I'm afraid. This is what the car uses to decide if it's dark enough for the lights to come on.

You should be able to code the car to give you manual CH without a RLS, if I remember correctly you need to flick the high beams after removing the key from the ignition.

Some posts also claim LH should work permanently without the RLS installed, but no-one seems to clarify so it could be internet myth. I suspect it's due to confusion about which way round CH and LH are :)

• Like 1

For correct automatic CH/LH behaviour, you'll need to fit a RLS and auto switch I'm afraid. This is what the car uses to decide if it's dark enough for the lights to come on.

You should be able to code the car to give you manual CH without a RLS, if I remember correctly you need to flick the high beams after removing the key from the ignition.

Some posts also claim LH should work permanently without the RLS installed, but no-one seems to clarify so it could be internet myth. I suspect it's due to confusion about which way round CH and LH are :)

Yep completely agree however I was reading somewhere if you leave the light switch to on position, the CH/LH should work and this for cars with non auto light switch.

Something mentioned in one of the forums about making sure Coming-Home mode via Personalisation is unticked for cars

with no auto light switch?!?!

Screenshot2010-12-20at151735.png

Not sure what the correct setting is? I have also tried with the stalk position to high beam and it wont come on?

The image you attached is for a 3C0 937 049, these are different to the 1K0 937 08x used in the FL Octavia.

There is something similar under byte 12, bit 2: Coming-Home Mode (0 - Automatic/ 1 = Manual) that you can try checking.

I'd expect this to allow you to use the manual CH mode using the high beam method I mentioned previously.

• Like 1

The image you attached is for a 3C0 937 049, these are different to the 1K0 937 08x used in the FL Octavia.

There is something similar under byte 12, bit 2: Coming-Home Mode (0 - Automatic/ 1 = Manual) that you can try checking.

I'd expect this to allow you to use the manual CH mode using the high beam method I mentioned previously.

Yeah I suspect that too. 

Bdw do you reckon I wont be able to get LH working without the presence of a sensor? 

No way of doing a manual override in VCDs?

I don't think you'll get LH without the sensor.

As I say, people claim it's possible but don't say how. If you can find someone that's done it on the MK6 golf it'll be the same method.

Exactly mate, some say it can be done or has been done but still my search is not bringing back any fruitful results :(

Hey guys, I'll let you know what I've managed so far, bit of a work in progress and I don't have VCDS I'm making changes via Carista but I'll try to explain as best I can.

First off this is a 62 plate VRS Octavia, no rain sensor, I have fitted an aftermarket light switch with an auto lights function and light sensor (Chinese jobby)

Within Carista for CH lights I have them enabled but set to manual and use dipped beams, using fog lights also works, but not having them as automatic activation. The light switch in the car however can be in the auto position rather than on as it were. Keys out of it ignition and pull the main beam stalk and the dips and tail lights illuminate for my set time of 20 seconds.

LH lights at present do not work, however from the instructions I deciphered from the switch I believe I may need to run a wire from the jumper on the module of the switch to the indicators and that this is what activates them.

I've no idea on how to do that but I'll look into it.

Edited by sthazza

That won't help, the MK7 Golf is MQB where as the MK2 FL Octavia is PQ35 based. Completely different electrical systems so the adaptation channels won't exist in your car.

Its not looking good is it :( 

Only thing not working is the rear wiper? What about one of the HIDs you mentioned in the first post???

It came back on after I had the car parked up for an 2 hour. Put it back on again and it was working lol

May be it is a warning?

Electronics won't give warnings, When they pack up, they just stop working.

But having said that, FL Octavias, along with later Superbs, Yetis and anything else VAG are well known for aftermarket HID kits to irreparably damage the BCM. I love HIDs, and have had them on a previous preFL Octy for 8 years, and my current Octy preFL for the last 4 years. But there is no way on this earth that I am going to attempt fitting them to the FL Octavia that I recently bought. It just ain't worth the risk and cost.

If an aftermarket HID kit was fitted to any VAG car I bought that had a BCM, it would be ripped out immediately, and put back to standard halogen with uprated bulbs.

Mike

Right I shall get right away on the case :( I am off to get the Osram tomorrow morning itself. Hopefully not much damage has been done to mine? I had HIDs in my 2011 Seat Leon FR and worked fine for several months. 

What are symptoms of the BCM going? I think somebody mentioned about the indicator being stuck on permanently?

Edited by singh946

My car is a 61 plate Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI Elegance model so has the rain sensor for the auto wipers, had somebody that is knowledgable with vag.com to try and enable coming and leaving home lights as it's a good feature to have/use with kids.

Both have been ticked but don't work, but if I flash the main beam lights 3 times after turning the car off the lights stay on.

A bit annoying really as other models from other makes have this as standard, otherwise really happy with the car.

Next car will be a VW Golf GTD estate once this gets very tired and uneconomical to fix.

Edited by redcupraboy

My car is a 61 plate Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI Elegance model so has the rain sensor for the auto wipers, had somebody that is knowledgable with vag.com to try and enable coming and leaving home lights as it's a good feature to have/use with kids.

Both have been ticked but don't work, but if I flash the main beam lights 3 times after turning the car off the lights stay on.

Do you have auto lights too? I think it might need the autoswitch installed and left in the 'auto' position. Not a hard retrofit if want it, new switch and possibly a single extra wire + coding :)

• Like 1

Have any other owners done the above Langers recommends doing and works on their car?

A good starting point is to check the wiring to the current headlight switch, if you have all ten wires then it's just the switch and coding. If you have 9, you'll need to add a wire.

It'll take about a minute to check, there is a video showing how to remove the switch is here: 

Do you have an autoscan of your car? If you do, drop it in a PM and I can compare it to my '61 Elegance with factory fitted auto lights with CH/LH :)

• Like 1

Well guys I ripped the cheap HID kit off the Octavia and installed Osram nightbreakers. Happy with the blubs :)

Now just have to get replacement plastic covers / caps that cover the bulb housings. Do any of yous know the part number for them please?