Electrical issues

Hi, 

Advise please

I have had Skoda Fabia's, Octavias and Superbs for 15 years, 8 in total. Looked at other models but still bought Skoda, but starting to loose a bit of faith.

Current car is the new mk111, SEL hatch Superb with a number of extras, 10 months old

Into June started to loose signal with the DAB which was the start of the issues. Door trim came off, 2 attempt to fix and now fixed. 

Car is now back in the garage and has been for a week, just been told that it will be off road for longer, possible safety issue with driver seat over heating.

Current list of issues

1) Looses DAB signal and will not find a signal unless I turn off engine and restart. I would expect to find black spots but i have driven journeys of over 30 miles in silence as a test and still no signal

2) Columbus screen freezes resulting in using the sat nav etc via the steering wheel commands or the Voice commands (not easy if you have a Scotch accent)

3) DAB switch channels on its own.

4) front door alignment, out at top, increase wind noise on motorway

5) Bad sound quality - sounds like metal mickey

6) Metallic grinding noise on cold start. This stops after about 3 seconds. no issue on stop / start or starting when engine is warmer.

7) Petrol engine sometimes sounds like my old diesel.

8) Poor heating

9) Loosing the connection to phone. This happens with my own, my wifes and my works phone so 3 different phones, makes and models.

10) Over heating drivers seat. Last week seat was getting warm with a slight smell of burning, never thought much of it, thought smell was outside as it was end of journey. After 30 minutes back in car and seat back on a setting 3. This time after 5 minutes seat getting hot and burning smell has returned. About a minute later burning smell getting stronger and the seat is almost unbearable to sit on. So quickly stop the car and get myself and son out. Short while later return to my journey with the seat switched off. 

Car was already booked in for points 1 to 4 so I reported it when dropping the car off. when driving to the dealer (about 25 miles) I re-tested the drivers seat on setting 3 again, but the heat performance was poor, only reached what I thought would be the temperature for setting 1. General heating was now very poor. Temp set to 29 but car still cold after 25 miles.

Car was due to be picked up today after 1 week, but just been told that as the drivers seat was reported as a burning smell it is being treated as a safety issue is being kept for further investigation. 

So any advice guys on what may be wrong, I am thinking ECU for the electrical system. 

Kind of hoping that they will just replace the car.

Lots of your issues are your Columbus radio and it might have to be replaced if a total re-flash can't fix it.

I would also be surprised if they don't completely replace the entire seat. The heating coil in your seat should never be able to get that hot, even if power is permanently supplied to it. 

Give them a chance to sort it. I know it's annoying when you paid that much and a real pain not having your vehicle for that long.

My 2nd vehicle has just been in the workshop for 3 weeks (older 4WD) with far worse electrical gremlins. As the tool to reset "engine Check light" costs a minimum of AUS $ 8000,-, fixing it myself was a no go due to having to reset the alarms to make the car usable again. This has gone on for 3 months and I still won't trust it for a while as we didn't find a "Smoking Gun".

Our Superb has had zero of any of the reported issues and has been faultless so far. But it's very early days yet and has seen just 5000km so far.

Good luck, I hope they sort it for you soon, by not mucking around and just replace the radio + seat. The rest should be easier fixes.

Edited by Alf01
  • Like 1

I don't think the heated seat in my Superb gets as hot as the ones in the Passat, Golf and Passat CC which preceeded it. On those cars I could only stand the 3 setting for about 20 mins before I was overheating, with the Superb it gets warm, but not really warm.

I was just talking to my dealer regarding my air con/heating which the heat coming out is very poor compared to my missus' Octavia. He told me he had a number of Superb III's in with the same issue & more than likely requires a software update. He's checking my chassis number to confirm so hopefully will be sorted soon. Mine however, is no where near as bad as your one by all accounts, I've cool air at 20°, lukewarm at 22° & only gets hot from 23° upwards. Wife's Octavia has hot air at 20°. I've re-set the system a number of times but still the same... Hope you get yours sorted out soon!

• Like 1

Update from the dealer, whom has been great through this. 

Word from the factory is that they don't want the car to go anywhere and they might send someone over to inspect.

A software update is due, but wont solve everything. 

• 1 year later...
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 17:00, Rebelred said:

I was just talking to my dealer regarding my air con/heating which the heat coming out is very poor compared to my missus' Octavia. He told me he had a number of Superb III's in with the same issue & more than likely requires a software update. He's checking my chassis number to confirm so hopefully will be sorted soon. Mine however, is no where near as bad as your one by all accounts, I've cool air at 20°, lukewarm at 22° & only gets hot from 23° upwards. Wife's Octavia has hot air at 20°. I've re-set the system a number of times but still the same... Hope you get yours sorted out soon!

Hi RebelRed, I know it's been a while since you posted this but did you ever get your heating sorted out?

The reason I'm asking is that my Superb is due it's first service in the New Year and there are a couple of things I'd like the dealer to look at whilst it's in, the heating and the front screen washers. So, I wondered if the potential software update had materialised for you and if this had sorted the heating?

Cheers

Bally