Fuel Consumption on new VRS

sit and cruise at 45 to 50mph, on a hot and dry day, I can believe 50 mpg, or a little higher, from the tsi.  It changes rapidy as you drive differently though.

how about cruise control set at 68mph even though a lot of the journey will be on 30mph/40mph roads?

Really?  Odd because others can do it.  it must be that they can just keep the pace and get on not using much fuel.

Fanboy alert.

50 mpg out of a 220/230/300 chipped engine.......here their opinions are laughable but are these people even allowed to vote FFS?

• Like 1

Some people can lend their car and someone get 35 mpg while you can do over 50 mpg and get there as quick as the person that borrowed the car.

Each to their own, but its nice to be nice, or just call people a liar straight out and do not beat about the bush. Or the Bookies for that matter.

I bought my VRS around 5-6 weeks ago and it had 20K on the clock. 

Best I've had is 50MPG on a clear day with decent temperatures outside and a clear stretch of motorway on the way to work. 

I'm averaging 40MPG as per the trip computer, I understand its not as accurate though. I have seen many posts on here people asking about MPG with their new TSI VRS's, I can only assume this is the norm and it will improve over time like it has done with the VRS I bought. 

Question about variable servicing, mine has been serviced ever year since purchase, and its last service it was set to variable. Can I just keep a note of the date of the previous service and get it done ever year/10K miles. I'm not waiting like the engine wants on variable between oil changes. 

Fanboy alert.

50 mpg out of a 220/230/300 chipped engine.......here their opinions are laughable but are these people even allowed to vote FFS?

BH you really are tiresome. ONE person reported seeing 50mpg ON THE MAXIDOT for ONE SHORT PERIOD during a steady cruise on a longer journey, and qualified their comments accordingly. They, nor anyone else, are claiming they can get 50mpg from a full tank, not even on the maxidot (which we all know overreads unless corrected via VCDS). Whether it's chipped, remapped or anything else...

Wading into pretty much any fuel economy/mpg thread with this tripe every time is painful.

Right...everybody stop moaning. Admin - Lock any future VRS economy threads because we've only had about 100 on the same subject. TSI owners - Dry your tears. "Struggling to get xx Mpg out of 220-290 BHP" is to be expected if you A. Do a lot of town driving. B. Drive it like it's in a race (even though 99.99% of this is on UK public roads) C. Loads of other variables, temperature etc. D. SkodaVRS1963 - Not everybody who posts a positive comment is a 'Fanboy'.

• Like 3

I get really upset when I get into the 30's  I'm not driving it right, it should be into the low 20's high teens....................

I ain't complaining, I love it..................

I'm selling the house and I'm buying one of these

post-3385-0-87698100-1479671867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

My Mk2 facelift with Revo stage 1, EVOMS intake and Milltek TBE would do 40mpg on a run and should I encounter an average speed section of 50mph or less that would creep up towards 50mpg. The new one, I'm hoping, will hopefully getting close to some of that once it has a few miles on the clock.

Not a chance of what?  Sitting at 50 mph, or getting very 50 mpg?  How you drive is up to you, I know I don't always sit at 50mph!   However the M1 has had several very long stretches of  roadworks over recent months, with 50mph limits and average speed check cameras, so I've been good at times.

I've had my vrs almost 2.5 years now and I've found for good mpg roads must be dry, and got summer days are the best.  I guess hot and low atmospheric pressure gives low air density and low drag outweighs the decreased power.

I also thought about 70 mph might be the sweet spot, the engine as at 2500 rpm in 6 th and the turbo just at full boost so the engine should be efficient, but drag increases more than exponentially with speed and it seems slower is more frugal.  Less fun, yes.

The biggest factor is how you drive.  I don't expect great economy if I'm 'making progress', but I don't always drive that way.  My experience on the 200 miles of London to Chester or Chester to London (12 miles straight through the centre of London, M1j1 to M6j1 to M6j18, A51). Stick to speed limits and 50 in long stretches of road works and 45+ mpg is obtained, speed limits but no road works and its more like 40+. Cruise at 80 and it's 37 ish, cruise long stretches at 85-90 and it's 34 ish.  These are 'best condition' figures, rain and other factors will degrade them a fair bit.  Drive like a ****, and you'll get lower mpg again.

A bit harsh.

You can take modern cars off the forecourt and flog them straight away and are unlikely to cause any damage, in fact some swear by it.

However the usual recommendation is to drive normally for the first 1k miles before you do this. Probably to minimise damage if any problems materialise.

So while the advice you received was not the usual issued by Skoda officials, it does not warrant your comment.

Previous threads on the topic of running in give a consensus of about 70% saying there is an performance/consumption improvement. I'm in the minority 30% saying I have not realise any significant improvement on any new car diesel or petrol I have owned.

Simple fact is that  220/230tsi are not quite as efficient as I think they should be. After all they are relatively sophisticated engines insofar as they have variable inlet and outlet valve timing and also dual, port and direct, fuel injection, so they should be capable of better economy than the mid 40's that are the best most can achieve.

Other threads on tuning these engines have suggested that the majority have experienced much greater power and an improvement in consumption when not accessing the increased available power.

Very short runs will ruin consumption on any car, even my little one.

Driving style is everything, do not drive as though your right foot suffers from Tourette's Syndrome on the accelerator and brake and you should improve consumption by more than 30%.

A recent Australian page on the subject: http://www.caradvice.com.au/494820/how-to-be-a-tightarse-behind-the-wheel-top-tips-to-help-you-save-fuel-and-money/.

Notable that at the end of the article they claimed to achieve over 70mpg on an 2.3L ecoboost equipped Ford Mustang applying the techniques.

Have done 3200 miles in my 230.. consumption ranges from 29 to 37 mpg.. my journeys are either short round town trips or long drives up and down the M1.. must admit I can be quite heavy footed on the motorway and most of my round town trips are under 10 miles long so all in all not too upset by the consumption.. it's now winter so hope the consumption Will improve in the summer when I don't use the heated seats and I've a few more miles under my belt!!

Edited by Chuck222

I drive 18 miles to work and back 5 days a week - on mixed roads, last full tank, the trip said avg 49mpg - my calculation said 49mpg 2l CRD vRS and I drive "quite briskly"

And the relevance of this in a petrol thread is?

I totally ignore MPG - Simply because its

1. Not applicable to everyday driving

2. No-one left in the UK (including Petrol stations) uses gallons - They use litres.

3. Its a dark art - type numbers in a calculator and see what the mean average is. No relation to driving styles etc.

I basically go by miles to the tank. I can get 550 out of vRS (diesel) on motorway miles, and 400 if I absolutely dont car how I drive (The only time I got less involved the word "Nurburgring" ;) )

BH you really are tiresome. ONE person reported seeing 50mpg ON THE MAXIDOT for ONE SHORT PERIOD during a steady cruise on a longer journey, and qualified their comments accordingly. They, nor anyone else, are claiming they can get 50mpg from a full tank, not even on the maxidot (which we all know overreads unless corrected via VCDS). Whether it's chipped, remapped or anything else...

Wading into pretty much any fuel economy/mpg thread with this tripe every time is painful.

Apologies for being tiresome.

The actual quote was:

"this weekend I did a trip from Sheffield to Edinburgh with ACC set o 68mph

I returned 50 mpg!!!!!!!!!

That's a vRS TSI stage 1 map + ITG filter with custom airbox plus brand new Goodyear Efficient grip tyres on the front.

I couldn't believe it, seriously good miles to that tank :-)"

Count the exclamation marks in the first sentence.  That's your first clue.

Sheffield to Edinburgh is a 250 mile journey according to the AA, taking 4hrs 37mins.

So just brazenly setting the ACC to 68mph doesn't work because there are clearly bits of the journey that will be start stop.

If you want to believe Mickey Mouse posts, go ahead.........but don't knock those of us who cast aspersions on the veracity of the claims being made......it's called free thinking; if you're a snowflake, you won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

50mpg out of a chipped 300bhp engine indeed - not even possible for 30 seconds, let alone over a 4hrs 37min journey.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

When you drive a 150 ps car and get 50 mpg as those are reporting in the 1.4 TSI thread you can if you are that type of driver take a 220ps 2,0TSI and get the same MPG or better.

You can take a 1.4TSI 180 ps Twincharger and remap it to 210 ps and get better MPG just because you can because you are driving the same but the cars rpm 

is in the sweet spot.

The reason people can achieve good Hypermiling results is because they try.

Now with Coasting Function on TDI's with DSG there can be some rather good MPG's achieved on trips.

Stop / Start have nothing to do with anything if your trip has no stopping, just maybe 20 miles until you get the engine at an efficient temp.

I am just offski to do 150 miles tonight and likely only need to stop twice at traffic lights and will be doing it at 60 & 70 mph stretches of Average Speed Cameras.

Its a location location location things, nothing magical.

• Like 1

Apologies for being tiresome.

The actual quote was:

"this weekend I did a trip from Sheffield to Edinburgh with ACC set o 68mph

I returned 50 mpg!!!!!!!!!

That's a vRS TSI stage 1 map + ITG filter with custom airbox plus brand new Goodyear Efficient grip tyres on the front.

I couldn't believe it, seriously good miles to that tank :-)"

Count the exclamation marks in the first sentence.  That's your first clue.

Sheffield to Edinburgh is a 250 mile journey according to the AA, taking 4hrs 37mins.

So just brazenly setting the ACC to 68mph doesn't work because there are clearly bits of the journey that will be start stop.

If you want to believe Mickey Mouse posts, go ahead.........but don't knock those of us who cast aspersions on the veracity of the claims being made......it's called free thinking; if you're a snowflake, you won't have a clue what I'm talking about.

50mpg out of a chipped 300bhp engine indeed - not even possible for 30 seconds, let alone over a 4hrs 37min journey.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

No idea what a 'snowflake' is meant to mean, AND no idea what you're on about either. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I'll assume you have had an identical car, tried every possible way to get the same mpg, and failed. Or maybe not...

No idea what a 'snowflake' is meant to mean, AND no idea what you're on about either. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I'll assume you have had an identical car, tried every possible way to get the same mpg, and failed. Or maybe not...

Actually his story is even sadder than that because he could not get near 45mpg with his diesel vRS.!!!!!!!!!

So he has sold it (fair enough) and bought a Focus RS (fair enough) and still continues to haunt the forum and throw insulting labels at anyone who does not agree with him or has experienced anything outside his own.

A 'snowflake' has white middle class values, a term possibly meant as an insult, possibly mildly racist.

The original thread subject was whether a tuned vehicle offers better economy than standard, and the general consensus was 'yes, but only if you don't use the extra power'.

A regular contributor offered his own experience with a particular journey which Skoda(ex)VRS1963 took exception to, resulting in unnecessary and actually inaccurate insults in his reply.

What is laughable is that most of the arguments SkodaVRS1963 puts forward to claim the feat was impossible can actually be used as counter arguments for the alternate viewpoint (not that he can see that of course)

This is a forum and discussion is healthy and the manner in which the discussion is conducted here is generally very good, so I do not want to see it degenerate to insult slinging. To part quote Monty Python: "Argument is an intellectual process".

I have never met or corresponded with the original poster of the consumption claim but he regularly makes helpful and useful contributions for others upgrading their vehicles for power or lighting performance and I'm pretty sure he has a technical background, all of which I respect.

SkodaVRS1963 has rarely contributed anything close to that sort of quality and often with content that can be dismissed as purposefully inflammatory.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

By way of counter balance, and to show just how much economy of the tsi is  down to the driving type and style, yesterday I did several short local runs to b and q and the like.  heavy rain, heavy traffic, lots of 20mph zones around here, and not getting any quick in the 30s due to traffic, stop start, 3 or 4 miles each way so engine only starting to warm up by the time I'd arrived.  I drove smoothly as there is nothing to be gained driving fast, you just get to the next queue 5 seconds quicker, but still only managed 20-22mpg.  Yes high 40s or even 50mpg are possible on nice long runs, steady speed etc, but don't expect it on all journeys.

To get 20-22mpg in that 'perfect storm' of negative factors is a pretty good effort in a vRS tsi.

The air-conditioner would have been running to keep condensation under control as well which should not be underestimated.

The effect of air conditioners on economy is negligible at higher speeds but becomes a major factor in slow/heavy traffic.

• Like 1