There's a Wasp..

...in my B Pillar. Or is there a Bee in my door?

After 6 Years of rattle and buzz free driving in my Mkii, it's taken 3 weeks in a Mkiii to find an annoying noise! It comes on at a certain rev range. From searching the forums, I don't think I'm the only one. The doors and B Pillar plastic coverings aren't anywhere near as robust as the Mkii. I hope I can find the culprit! I won't let it ruin my fun :D

If it is coming from drivers side and at very specific RPM (2100 in my case) it will most likely be the fuel line running under the car beneath you.

Dealer fixed it in about 30 minutes under warranty - assume they just filled it with some foam.

I do still have a persistent buzz from the passenger side which occurs over rough surface only which drives me insane but I can never replicate for the dealer. That one could be A pillar, B pillar, door trim or something else entirely! I have eliminated seat adjuster and bonnet latch as the culprit by applying small velvet self-adhesive dots in strategic locations.

(the latter may also be your issue too, so worth checking)

• Like 1

If it is coming from drivers side and at very specific RPM (2100 in my case) it will most likely be the fuel line running under the car beneath you.

Dealer fixed it in about 30 minutes under warranty - assume they just filled it with some foam.

I do still have a persistent buzz from the passenger side which occurs over rough surface only which drives me insane but I can never replicate for the dealer. That one could be A pillar, B pillar, door trim or something else entirely! I have eliminated seat adjuster and bonnet latch as the culprit by applying small velvet self-adhesive dots in strategic locations.

Thanks for that. It definitely comes in at a certain frequency and remains there until the revs drop below a certain range. It will have to go in at some point, so I will bear in mind the possibility of a fuel line related buzz. 

I've noticed a b-pillar buzz too. I normally drive with the music up so can't hear a thing, but recently I've been driving the car pool and I can't deafen them :P

The noise seemed to come from where the seat belt runs out from.

At least we know we're not alone! I've tried moving the seat belt adjuster. It may well be that, but I've had no luck. For me, it's definitely rev specific. I will report back any further findings.

Common buzzing noise from either B-pillar is seat belt/adjuster against B-pillar trim - so it sounds like it's almost in line with your ear. Dealer fix is to fit some foam behind trim.

I had the foam fix and it came back, then a replacement panel and it came back.  

I stuck with the stirrer...

Edited by sworrall

Try putting the seat belt over the empty seat. It might be suppressed by having the belt under tension.