Winter tyres on a vrs

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone had trouble with steering wheel alignment after swopping wheels around? Put my set of 17" Golf GTI alloys on with winter tyres and the steering wheel now sits ever so slightly to the left.

Anyone had trouble with steering wheel alignment after swopping wheels around? Put my set of 17" Golf GTI alloys on with winter tyres and the steering wheel now sits ever so slightly to the left.

Wierd

Can't see how this would happen, unless you somehow bent a track rod or the new winter tyres are so different in rolling radius (left to right) that you have to effectively steer to stay in a straight line. 

Another thought about why you might need to steer to go in a straight line would be brakes binding on one side only.

When you say the steering wheel sits slightly to the left, do you mean that that is where it self centres to on a perfectly level road? or do you mean that is where the wheel must be held for the car to go in a straight line?

Edited by Octy0GG

I've got a 2016 diesel vRS and can confirm that 16" steel wheels fit over the front brakes no problem. There is 5 to 6 mm clearance between caliper and rim. I'm using the 7J 16 et 45 rims that I had on my Yeti. They're currently shod with 215/60 R16 Falken Eurowinters, which I should comfortably get another winter out of. Maybe two. Ideally I'd have 215/55s, as they're closer to the 225/40 R18s, but they're close enough for me to be happy with them.