Daft question, computer on, but how to stop the music playing?

So my MkIII Octy has got a computer display with all the bells and whistles on it just in front of the gear stick as most have.  There are some occasions when I want it on, but have passengers in the car and want to turn the radio, music player etc. Off so  can chat to my passenger.  Maybe I'm missing a trick here, but my current solution is to turn down the sound.  Can you do something as simple as turn the music players off and if so how please?

Also, I've got the Xenon light system with the self-dipping technology (when it works its really clever), however I have noticed that it doesn't seem to function until I've turned the same big display on from the stand-by clock mode.  Does this sound right? 

Many thanks

For the sound you can press the phone icon which will "mute" the sound but keep the display active. (I think also the phone button on the Wheel also works IIRC)

This is the best way as you can choose to allow navigation command still to be enabled.

You can of course, turn-off the Entertainment unit by pressing down on the volume button but then you will also lose the navigation display if needed.

The self-dipped headlinght should not depend on the display.

Are you sure it is not that the delay before the headlights do their little dance just conincides with when the display activates?

Edited by Gabbo

Neily03, many thanks.  MoggyTech - it's quite reassuring that it isn't so obvious - it seemed such a daft thing, but was a real issue. 

Gabbo - I reasoned the same, i.e. that the xenon's self dip/main beam function should work independent of the main screen being 'active'.  However, I have noticed on a number of occasions that the lights do not appear to start working until well into the journey (this is setting off after dark) and sometimes this has seemed coincidental with when I have forgotten to take the main display off of standby, then they often seem to 'kick in' once I've got it running.   As an alternative I'd welcome suggestions on how you make them 'kick-in' if they seem to not be operating.  Once they decide to work they are really great, but often they don't seem to start.

If you read the manual it explains it. Its called high beam assist.

Headlight switch must be set to auto.

Left column stalk must be set to main beam, pushed forward.

You'll get a headlamp icon with an A on the dashboard showing its active.

It will then dip the main beam as the camera, behind the rear view mirror, senses headlights of an approaching car.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Octavia_5E/11-2014/Manual/Octavia/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2014&requestOwnersManualPage=1&printPage=1&pageId=00201

Pressing the volume scroll wheel on the steering will will mute/pause the radio/music.

I shall try that in the morning; my work around with 7 weeks in my first Skoda was simply to turn the volume right down :p

Re high beam assist, i've come to the view it's more bother than it's worth. Mine tends to get confused by reflections from road signs (particularly on motorways) leading to unnecessary and unhelpful dipping.  For all the effort involved I reckon it's safer to switch full beam manually.

• Like 3

If you read the manual it explains it. Its called high beam assist.

Headlight switch must be set to auto.

Left column stalk must be set to main beam, pushed forward.

You'll get a headlamp icon with an A on the dashboard showing its active.

It will then dip the main beam as the camera, behind the rear view mirror, senses headlights of an approaching car.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/mini-apps/owners-manuals/pages/octavia.aspx?requestOwnersManualOnlineVersion=en/Octavia_5E/11-2014/Manual/Octavia/online&requestOwnersManualLanguage=en&requestOwnersManualEditionDate=11-2014&requestOwnersManualPage=1&printPage=1&pageId=00201

And you have to drive faster than 60 kph (37 mph)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I found the radio mute button a day or two after buying the (3 year old) car, but it seems crazy to me not to have an "OFF" button on a radio. Are we sure there is no secret place where they hid this?

Well, I found the radio mute button a day or two after buying the (3 year old) car, but it seems crazy to me not to have an "OFF" button on a radio. Are we sure there is no secret place where they hid this?

You can mute it as above, or turn the whole unit off. Does there need to be another option?

Ahenners - of course you are right, but the second option is not available if one wants to use another facility such as navigation.

An intelligent designer would, in my view, have switched off the radio when the whole unit is turned off, as it does, but required the radio button to be pressed to turn the radio on again. As for most of the the other buttons.

Anyway, if that is our worst problem, we can be happy with the car.

Peter W.