To Vienna from Birmingham

omsbham

Brussels/Bonn/Frankfurt/Nuremberg has worked well. This takes you on faster German autobahn and also avoids any tolls that the French will try and squeeze out of you at the start! You will probably, legally, have to have winter tyres in Vienna and Germany. In Vienna the car parking can be really quite expensive...40-50 Euros a day in the centre by the Opera House....there is great underground parking at Karlsplatz.. a short walk away that is (or was) a third of this price. All my cars have uneconomical large engines that slurp up petrol so can't help you on that one.Although in Germany it is always better to go off the motorway to an Autohof where the fuel is usually a bit cheaper.Apologies if I am telling you stuff you already know.

• Like 2

Some things I forgot. Keep the yellow breakdown vests in the car and easily accessible as the Austrian Police sometimes fine you if they are not "easily accessible"! You need a vignette/ sticker to drive on Austrian motorways...its only Euros 8 which is for 10 days i think. You might also be able to take snow chains in lieu of winter tyres but best to check.

Thanks guys. Hopefully all kitted out, having tyres swopped over today to winter see hopefully they won't dent the mpg too much. Should be fun trip, will be driving thru the night to maximise driving time.

I used to drive to Bavaria regularly , I used to go via Calais , France, Belgium , via Aachen into Germany , Koln, Frankfurt,Munchen  using the toll free auto bahns , Even though half have no speed limit they are so heavily used it's impossible to go faster . My trip used to be 830 miles one way approximately , if you can do over night driving  which we used to , you can do the trip in one go , avoiding  the massive jams they get ,  swapping drivers as and when,

In the day you'll notice the traffic gets quieter between 12 and 2 when people stop for lunch, so stop out of these hours

Edited by peterposh