Travelling to France

I am planning a France trip and I am aware you need various bits and pieces in the car.

I have the high Vis waistcoats all sorted but where is cheapest for the bulb pack and the warning triangle

Superskoda have both at 43 euros and I guess plus postage. Looked on the TPS website but they don't list the Superb as a vehicle. Anywhere else ?

Sounds very expensive. Pick up a triangle cheap at Halfords and a generic bulb pack from powerbulbs website. You are not expected to carry let alone change HID xenon lamps.

Don't forget you breathalyser's!

Not needed. It didn't get fully passed through the French legislature.

With the strange way the French do things; the requirement for them to be carried was passed, but not the penalty for not having them. Go figure!

• Like 1

Pick up a triangle cheap at Halfords...

Just be aware that there's a dedicated alcove with a retaining clip in the boot for the triangle, just below the rear sill.

Most third-party triangles won't fit.

In another twist. You are supposed to have the triangle in the car so it can be taken out and erected forthwith. Same with the high visibility vests. They need to be in the cabin too.

In another twist. You are supposed to have the triangle in the car so it can be taken out and erected forthwith. Same with the high visibility vests. They need to be in the cabin too.

Not heard that one before with regards to the triangle, but yes at least one high viz needs to be in the car so you are wearing it when you get out (mine live in the ‘holes’ at the rear of the door pockets)

I have the OE triangle, which I bought for my MKII Superb and it fits in the recess perfectly.

Prykey, on 11 Dec 2016 - 17:07, said:snapback.png

Don't forget you breathalyser's!

YvesD, on 11 Dec 2016 - 17:10, said:snapback.png

Yes, much more important!

Not required now as the law on carrying them is not being enforced.

Taken from the AA Driving in France?

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

So it looks like you are correct Gizmo68, I wish the bloody French would make up their mind, they introduced a number of these rules which they are either not enforcing or are now only aimed at French Citizens notably wearing of hi-viz  and having reflective patches of a certain size  on your crash helmet for motorcyclists and now the breathalyser farce!

Edited by Prykey

Regarding breathalysers, as above, its non enforceable -  however for east £0.99p from ebay its worth just having in the boot for ease.

Photos below of bulb kit and triage. 

20161211_173810_zpsomkm9ef5.jpg

Note - some of the  bulbs wont even fit my car but who is going to know...

20161211_173837_zps16xtzm86.jpg

Fits perfect in the boot slot..

20161211_173848_zpsqikveakl.jpg

Easiest thing for hi-vis waistcoats is to place them over the seat backs so predatory gendarmerie nationale can see them, and bother another GB plated car......

Easiest thing for hi-vis waistcoats is to place them over the seat backs so predatory gendarmerie nationale can see them, and bother another GB plated car......

Best place is under the passenger seat in the storage box where they are designed to be kept.

Best place is under the passenger seat in the storage box where they are designed to be kept.

And that's where they are in GB, along with the two long sleeved ones under the boot floor, but they get put over the seat backs whilst waiting for the ferry.

Fits perfect in the boot slot..

That's a different type of fit to my MY16 Hatchback, which has a single square plastic clasp in the centre of the slot! It's that clasp that rules out most third-party triangles I tried.

I had amassed four of them in my garage over the years and not one of them would fit. Threw them out and got the OEM triangle.

Actually, they're intended to be kept in the door storage bin of all four doors, one in each door.

That's the purpose of the recessed and covered area at the rear of each door storage bin.

This means that it complies with the most common continental requirements of one per occupant and readily accessible by each occupant.

• Like 1

If you take over a standalone satnav (clearly OP's L&K would have a built-in satnav) , especially an old one ensure it doesn't have French speed cameras on it. It's now a very serious offence - I witnessed a sting operation a few years ago when the law was first brought in.

Later satnavs that just show "Zone de danger" are legal.If you have had regular updates you'll be fine 

Headlights should automatically adjust on the L&K into tourist mode

If you wear glasses take a spare pair, any form of tint is frowned upon including reactolight

Carry all car documents including V5 (or letter of permission from owner eg company or PCH) 

Obey the speed limits as fines are harsh and checks can be frequent (especially near ferry ports!)

Another recommendation - https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/ - can save a lot of time at toll booths

It's not all bad - the roads are generally great. I regularly drive abroad and find it much less stressful than driving through England

PS - never heard of having to carry warning triangle in the car - you need to carry his via jackets in the car though

Edited by bigjohn