Max lifespan acheived of clutch/DMF and Turbo in 1.9Tdi?

Skodaoldy

It's decision time for me on whether to get rid of, or spend on my 2002 1.9Tdi estate. (125,000 miles)

I am only the 2nd owner and have done the last 90,000 miles. It has been carefully used and regularly serviced using Castrol Turbo edge oils and BP Ultimate fuel with Millers additive. 

I have no signs of problems at the moment but will have to spend about £1200 within the next 4/5 months on service and Cam belt change, new tyres, new exhaust.

I wouldn't mind spending this if I thought I had a good chance of getting another 30/50k miles out of it without needing new clutch/DMF, Turbo or both as I know these would be very expensive as I can't do repairs myself. 

I realise it's a case of " how long is a piece of string", but if anyone has achieved very high mileages I would appreciate knowing what can be possible, together with any tips on how to achieve them. 

Ever hopeful

I am on to my third car with a vw 1.9tdi pd engine

1. skoda octavia had 30k when i got it 105k when i sold it.(only got rid because i needed a 7 seater to fit 5 kids in!)

2. ford galaxy had 35k on clock when i got it , when i sold it due to gearbox problems(automatic) it had done 250k!

3. skoda fabia (56 plate) purchsed in febuary has only just broke the 40k mark.

if as you say you have serviced it regularly, with the correct oil ect, it should easily take you past the 200k and beyond.

You don't have a dmf so that's one less thing to work about. My last fabia td is still knocking around with 220.000 miles on it and original turbo and quite possibly clutch too

BP Ultimate fuel with Millers additive. 

Standard Tesco fuel and 2% (I put 80ml in when I tank up) of 2-EHN, which is what Millers sell you in a diluted form at elevated price, is what I run in my 1.9TDI. My 06 plate is currently on 152K miles with what I believe is original clutch and turbo - only problem is slight increase in vibration at 2K revs which clears at 2.1K so assume some DMF wear.

My way of looking at bills is how they compare to finance - £1200 a year is only £100 a month, which wont buy much car especially when you factor in the depreciation on a newer car which should be added on top, while your car has probably no depreciation. Better the devil you know in most cases.

Had the car since 2006 and only just learned through this website that it doesn't have DMF!

Can you tell me what 2-EHN is and where to get it please. Are there any other steps I can take to protect the Turbo beyond using top quality oil and fuel with additive. It's never been driven in "Sports mode" style, its used as a family car with the benefit of the additional estate space.

I am now quite happy to spend the £1200 given the general concensus of you guys that I have a very good chance of getting 150k+ miles without having to renew clutch or Turbo. Obviously I will need repairs or replacements of other less expensive items but I would get those same costs if I replaced it now with another 2nd hand car of about £4/5k. I have had a taste of the central locking antics in the past, so I am aware of the possibility/probabilty of more of those.

We have enjoyed a quiz game in the past guessing which window will open when any particular switch is pressed!

All clean fun for the kiddies at no extra cost!

Merry christmas to you all

2-EHN is a "cetane improver" - the diesel equivalent of petrol's RON improver, but rather than me pushing my slant on what it does other than saying it changes standard diesel to the equivalent of super diesel with a much reduced cost (basically 2.4p/litre extra based on buying the product on a well known auction site at £12/litre and adding it at 2%), if you Google it there is much info out there.

I also add low ash NASC 2 stroke oil at a rate of 100ml per 40 litre tank, but Mr Sepulchrave may disagree - again Google it.

2-EHN is a "cetane improver" - the diesel equivalent of petrol's RON improver, but rather than me pushing my slant on what it does other than saying it changes standard diesel to the equivalent of super diesel with a much reduced cost (basically 2.4p/litre extra based on buying the product on a well known auction site at £12/litre and adding it at 2%), if you Google it there is much info out there.

I also add low ash NASC 2 stroke oil at a rate of 100ml per 40 litre tank, but Mr Sepulchrave may disagree - again Google it.

I don't just disagree, I know you're wrong about what benefits you believe these additives are giving you, anyone else with any experience in automotive engineering will tell you exactly the same thing.

However I also don't think you're doing any harm either, just wasting your time and money which you are perfectly entitled to do, but your evangelism is worrying since the only scientific evidence there is actually proves that you're wrong.