Uprated clutch for a VRS TSI

I am planning on getting a Revo Stage 1 in the new year. I've read many posts about the clutch being a weak point on the non DSG cars, plus mine is starting to slip already!

I can't find much about there besides a Sachs that retails ~£550.

What other options are there?

When you say already, what mileage have you done? Others have had premature and significant problems with faulty clutches/flywheels before. See here for lots of info and problems one member had: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/396706-vrs-tsi-clutch-slip-replacement-after-17k-miles-skoda-reluctantly-pays-out-after-proof-of-defect/?hl=clutch

When you say already, what mileage have you done? Others have had premature and significant problems with faulty clutches/flywheels before. See here for lots of info and problems one member had: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/396706-vrs-tsi-clutch-slip-replacement-after-17k-miles-skoda-reluctantly-pays-out-after-proof-of-defect/?hl=clutch

Yep, I've read that already thanks.

2014 VRS and 31k miles.

Lots of posts on clutch failure, before and after tuning, here (including the guy that posted the above link)

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3409916

Edited by waaar

If you replace the clutch, retain the old parts and check for defects. 31K is too low mileage for an unmodded and normally-driven clutch to start slipping. The pressure-plate may suffer the same manufacturing fault as my 2014 VRS. If wear pattern appears similar to mine then you have a precedant to follow.

Edit: Despite Skoda's very "limited-warranty", EU Law ensures that all manufacturers must cover replacement against manufacturing-defects for 6-years from new.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

If you replace the clutch, retain the old parts and check for defects. 31K is too low mileage for an unmodded and normally-driven clutch to start slipping. The pressure-plate may suffer the same manufacturing fault as my 2014 VRS. If wear pattern appears similar to mine then you have a precedant to follow.

Edit: Despite Skoda's very "limited-warranty", EU Law ensures that all manufacturers must cover replacement against manufacturing-defects for 6-years from new.

Agreed, will do,

In the meantime, does anyone have experience of uprated clutches?

I almost purchased an uprated Sachs SRE clutch with SMF from Darkside Developments for ~£1200 fitted. In the end it just seemed wrong paying for a new clutch on a normally driven low-mileage car, so I got Skoda to replace and eventually pay for it. I had to battle for warranty replacement of a CLEARLY DEFECTIVE clutch after 17K miles, so you may struggle after 31K.

In your situation I would pay for third-party replacement but keep the old parts, and if they appear clearly defective lodge a claim against Skoda. I can help if it goes that far.

edit: Make sure you report the slippage to your Dealer and get them to check it out before going third-party. Offer Skoda the chance of resolving or contributing towards replacement before looking elsewehere. Otherwise they can wash their hands of it by saying that you should have reportred to them before having items replaced. Worst and most-likely case is that the Dealer will quote you for a full-clutch replacement due to wear and tear.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

I almost purchased an uprated Sachs SRE clutch with SMF from Darkside Developments for ~£1200 fitted. In the end it just seemed wrong paying for a new clutch on a normally driven low-mileage car, so I got Skoda to replace and eventually pay for it. I had to battle for warranty replacement of a CLEARLY DEFECTIVE clutch after 17K miles, so you may struggle after 31K.

In your situation I would pay for third-party replacement but keep the old parts, and if they appear clearly defective lodge a claim against Skoda. I can help if it goes that far.

edit: Make sure you report the slippage to your Dealer and get them to check it out before going third-party. Offer Skoda the chance of resolving or contributing towards replacement before looking elsewehere. Otherwise they can wash their hands of it by saying that you should have reportred to them before having items replaced. Worst and most-likely case is that the Dealer will quote you for a full-clutch replacement due to wear and tear.

Did you need a new flywheel?

Did you need a new flywheel?

No, Dealer said flywheel was fine. They actually contradicted themselves about this a few times whilst attempting to cover up their lies. However the original flywheel has been fine since the clutch was replaced 6K miles ago, and the car will be handed back to Skoda when PCP expires next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Having an updated Sachs organic clutch fitted today.

So, what I didn't say earlier is that my clutch only started slipping, when having a Revo Stage 1 (high boost map) applied.

The standard clutch really is a weak point, everything I've read suggests you'll either need a new clutch right away, or within a few k, after stage 1.

I'll report back on how it feels drive, once I'm able to put my foot down ;-)

Edited by waaar
  • Like 1

I would be very interested to see the wear patter on your old pressure-plate, and identify whether it is flat or concave (if you get the chance to view/keep them).

Do you intend to replace the DMF with another DMF, or SMF?

I didn't ask about the old clutch, will give the garage a call tomorrow. The flywheel was fine, no reason to replace. There was a very light misting on the slave cylinder, so I elected to have a new one fitted (whilst everything was apart, £40 part).

New clutch fitted, feels heavier but will loosen up after a bit of driving (already starting to).

It's to wet to feel the real power, but, you can tell it's a whole different beast. I've had cars remapped in the past, the way this engine responds after Stage 1 is plain nuts! I'll report back after I've had some fun in the dry.

Having an updated Sachs organic clutch fitted today.

Is is this one? https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-001422-999502

Sachs item number: 001422.999502

I was looking at it just the other day. Being outside the EU I'd get 19% off too which is pretty attractive.

Is is this one? https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-001422-999502

Sachs item number: 001422.999502

I was looking at it just the other day. Being outside the EU I'd get 19% off too which is pretty attractive.

Yep, that's the one. I chose it over the paddle clutch, wanted something closer to OEM feel.

It cost £550 (plus fitting), the garage I used bought it direct from Sachs.

• Like 1

Eager to read what your new clutch is like, thinking of a remap eventually myself..

Out of interest who's done your stage 1? And what spec did they promise/prove post-remap?

I used VAS Motion in Guildford, Surrey.

I didn't ask them to promise/prove anything, details/figures are available on Revo's website

It's a bit drier today, now the snow and ice have cleared.

The clutch is noticeably heavier than before, but it is getting lighter, after 100 miles of driving. I'll report back in another 200 miles driving (a tank full).

The acceleration is very different than before, I would describe it as savage and linear. Acceleration in 3rd gear felt torquey before, it feels more like a punch and relentless to the red line now.

Power is allegedly ~310bhp, up from ~240bhp standard (the 220ps quoted figure is generally lower than in real world).

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/skoda/octavia-mk3-2013-/182/stage-1/

There are low boost and high boost maps, the low boost map is intended to preserve the life of the clutch (a know weakness), I was advised to go with the high boost map, because it completely transforms the car. But, I did end up having to change the clutch.

The high boost map does require SUL, a minimum octane rating of 97.

So, if you're tempted with a Revo Stage 1, you should factor in the cost of a new clutch and to fill up with SUL.

Would I recommend it? Yes, definitely  :clap:

Edited by waaar

How do you find it putting the power down in the lower gears? Any effect on mpg?

It's torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears, doesn't have any problem putting power down in the dry, need to be careful in the wet. No real difference to pre-map.

To early to say about MPG, it's a family car so I don't generally drive like I stole it. If the missus isn't in the car, I put my foot when my 3yr old says "I want to go really fast".

It's torque limited in 1st and 2nd gears, doesn't have any problem putting power down in the dry, need to be careful in the wet. No real difference to pre-map.

To early to say about MPG, it's a family car so I don't generally drive like I stole it. If the missus isn't in the car, I put my foot when my 3yr old says "I want to go really fast".

Yeah I've found that on stock power in wet and greasy conditions. Very tempted to get mine done when the warranty expires

• Like 1

Yeah I've found that on stock power in wet and greasy conditions. Very tempted to get mine done when the warranty expires

Yep, rather scrabbly in the wet. In gear acceleration, 3rd and 4th for overtaking, is where it matters (IMO).

My warranty expires around August this year. I decided to take advantage of the Revo December discount, signed up the previous year but never got around to using the voucher.

• 3 months later...

Reading this thread again, I would be very interested to hear how the uprated Sachs clutch is feeling after a few months. Considering one of these myself, but from the photos of the clutch, the friction plate doesn't look as if it has springs. I wondered how this may affect the driving in traffic, or round town.

21 hours ago, loadswine said:

Reading this thread again, I would be very interested to hear how the uprated Sachs clutch is feeling after a few months. Considering one of these myself, but from the photos of the clutch, the friction plate doesn't look as if it has springs. I wondered how this may affect the driving in traffic, or round town.

A few months down the line and it feels like a normal clutch, just a bit heavier.

Very easy to drive in traffic and round town.

• Like 2