Winter tyres with TPMS

Hi,

I presume that the newer Mk3 Fabia have the tyre monitors inside that tyres rather than using the ABS sensors,

I have just put the winters on which are on a spare set of steels and cannot set the tyres pressures. Have used these wheels on previous Fabia ok,

The car is a 2016 Monte Carlo.

Is so where is the best place for sensors.

Hi,

The Fabia Mk3 also uses the ABS sensors for the TPMS.

So after fitting the steels/winter tyres you just check/adjust the tyre pressures and then reset the TPMS via the Bolero system.

Thanks AG Falco.

Tried that, says it cannot find information,

In which case, come Tuesday, go and wish your local Skoda dealer Happy New Year and get them to sort it out.

Happy New Year.

It needs to be driven for it to work, yes, but you should be resetting the pressures while stationary! Check the pressures, go into the settings page on the Bolero, reset the tyre pressures, and the light should go out and it'll start that period of monitoring the individual speeds.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread.

I have a MKIII Fabia (2015) and up until now I've used the stock alloy wheels both for winter and summer tires (215/45 R16.)

However, I'm currently considering getting a different set of wheels for my winter tires, that is 185/60 R15, while keeping my summer tires on 215/45 R16 wheels.

Please can someone reconfirm if I'd need to buy separate TPMS sensors for the winter wheels or not? (eg.: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/skoda/fabia-nj3/108658/10934/tyre-pressure-control-system)

I'd definitely like to have the system working properly in notifying me if one of the tire's pressure gets lower than the other and whatnot.

Edited by jon15

You need to buy nothing other than tyres or wheels and tyres.

Fit them, have them at the pressure you want and then set the cars TPMS. 

Run the car, if there is a warning soon after, reset the TPMS on the car and hopefully the tyres circumference is logged.

The system recognises changes in the circumference from being set if there is a puncture / loss of pressure and a wheel is turning more than it was set at.

PS

If changing tyre pressures anytime, or fitting the spare temporarily reset the TPMS then.

As in the Owners Manual tells you, check the TPMS from time to time.

Like when you check the oil, check tyre pressures, top up washer bottle type times.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

My tip for buying wheels for winter use, try to either buy used VW Group original fit wheels, getting powder coated before use if nasty looking when buying used ones, or try to stick to aftermarket wheels that are listed as OE as doing that means that you don't need to bother with spigot rings or buying a new set of bolts and security bolt kit.  Most aftermarket non OE listed wheels will come with a full set of suitable plain bolts and spigot rings if you need them, but in case of my daughter, who moved away from my advice to stick with OE listed alloys and make sure that you only buying ones you like and are easy to clean - she went for 10 spoke wheels that need taper seat bolts and spigot rings!  Pity DPD, or maybe just Mytyres, packed the heavy box of bolts and spigot rings inside a single wheel while using the same packaging as wheels with nothing inside them, the heavy box broke free, one bag of bolts and spigot ring failed to turn up and another bag of bolts and spigot ring ended up on the floor of the van and the spigot ring got destroyed! Mytyres have been advised that this is how things are, trouble is the wheel maker's advised fitting kit for that car provides tapered seat bolts that have a 33mm threaded section when 28mm is adequate to enable the bolts to appear out the rear face of the discs+hub combo. I need to work on her to order in another full set of bolts and security bolts from McGard and maybe in black as I'd doubt if the standard bolt caps will fit over the security bolt.

Edit:- choosing 195/?? X 15 might make them look a bit more manly, I considered going down that path when getting winter wheels/tyres for my wife's 2015 Polo, but did the right thing maybe and stuck with 185/60 X 15 - and they do work very well as they should in winter, it was Alpins that I bought for the 15" slightly used but clean VW alloys.

Edited by rum4mo

Always worth looking into the local main dealers for Skoda, VW. Audi or Seat and see if there is a display near the door with sets of Winter Tyres and Wheels and check out the price, 

or ask if they have a package offer.

If they have and suitable you flash the cash / card and have them swap your wheels / tyres over, if the have a balancer, otherwise they can use who they use to balance them,

then fold down the seats load the now summer wheels and drive home with the new green tyres getting the newness off.