Autonomous driving

rickyang

Could also have something to do with Galileo sat system

One of the reasons we were to have our own sat system in Europe was that the US was not letting us have the pinpoint GPS ca[abilities. We also wanted our own independent (of the USA) system

Now the USA has control of Galileo in some rather vital ways and if they switch pinpoint on from their system, it may even make Galileo redundant.

Its al about control, not about doing us any favours.

7 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Seeing SpaceX can auto-land their rocket on a floating barge at sea, keeping lumps of metal apart on a road shouldn’t be too difficult surely.

Until the lack of maintenance becomes a factor

1 minute ago, S00perb said:

Until the lack of maintenance becomes a factor

Well have a force field protection system perhaps.

A string-of-pearls ...no steering wheel....zzzzzzzzzz

16 minutes ago, Aspman said:

The military is opening up GPS to allow millimetre precision in to the public. Probably on the back of pressure from politicians. Can't find the story now.

What the US military giveth, the US military can taketh away.

We rely far too much already on a US GPS system that we have absolutely no control over.

It's also far too easy to hack the GPS signal - it can not, and should not be relied on for anything

https://www.hackread.com/hacking-smartphones-gps-in-car-navigation-system/

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-pentagon-worried-about-hacked-gps-14898

59 minutes ago, S00perb said:

What the US military giveth, the US military can taketh away.

We rely far too much already on a US GPS system that we have absolutely no control over.

I think that some people are already ahead of you on that worry  -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

And yes it can be hacked or disrupted. I think the military are actually considering schooling their people on how to use sextants and the stars to navigate again. It's hard to hack the sun.

11 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I think that some people are already ahead of you on that worry  -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(satellite_navigation)

And yes it can be hacked or disrupted. I think the military are actually considering schooling their people on how to use sextants and the stars to navigate again. It's hard to hack the sun.

I worked on tendering documents for Galileo many years ago. 70%(ish) of the documents related to security and sourcing provenance (making sure China etc. hadn't provided components with built in nasties).

Unfortunately the company I worked for didn't get the contract and the company that did, did NOT file many security sections at all.

The navy no longer teaches many alternatives, or or even morse code. The MOD even lets squaddies into combat zones with mobile phones (easy to trace)!!!

25 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I think the military are actually considering schooling their people on how to use sextants and the stars to navigate again. It's hard to hack the sun.

There is this stuff called "cloud" though; living in Scotland I'd expect you to be familiar with it. ;)

AI certainly has a long way to go and AI has to be used in autonomous driving as the predictable behaviour of a taxi is very different to that of a dog:

Computers can be fooled into thinking a picture of a taxi is a dog just by changing one pixel, suggests research.

The limitations emerged from Japanese work on ways to fool widely used AI-based image recognition systems.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41845878

1 minute ago, KenONeill said:

There is this stuff called "cloud" though; living in Scotland I'd expect you to be familiar with it. ;)

Cloud....in Scotland....Don't be silly....You can't see cloud in Scotland - it rains too hard for you to see that high

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

We'll we have alternative way in Scotland to find directions. Use your nose -

Unwashed Bodies  = West

Fish = East

Sheep = North

Perfume = South

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aspman said:

We'll we have alternative way in Scotland to find directions. Use your nose -

Unwashed Bodies  = West

Fish = East

Sheep = North

Perfume = South

So Aberdeen-Angus coos smell of a mixture of fish and sheep then? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

The MOD even lets squaddies into combat zones with mobile phones (easy to trace)!!!

A particularly bad idea that the Russians have already picked up on and used against enemies in combat in Ukraine.

They were able to deploy mobile masts to triangulate locations of Ukrainian soldiers, read the content of their phones and reply with targeted propaganda texts.

i.e. "Dmitri Moskovitch, you are located here, go home or get killed, little Olga is missing you"

Bloody clever stuff really.

2 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

So Aberdeen-Angus coos smell of a mixture of fish and sheep then? ;)

It's the predominant smell. With a bit of talen you can narrow things down.

Pehs - heading to Dundee

Musty money - Aberdeen

Fash - Peterhead

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S00perb said:

The MOD even lets squaddies into combat zones with mobile phones (easy to trace)!!!

In theory, yes.... In reality, most squaddies can't afford one, so it's only the Ruperts who have 'em and they'd take 'em along either way.

40 minutes ago, Aspman said:

It's the predominant smell. With a bit of talen you can narrow things down.

Pehs - heading to Dundee

Musty money - Aberdeen

Fash - Peterhead

But pehs come fae Killie or Dumbarton!

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Pies come from Killie, Dumbarton, Arbroath or anyplace else but pehs come from Dundee.

'twa pehs a plain bridie an an  ingin an an a.'

4 adps.jpg

Dundonian fir beginners - Scotland Discussion Forum.mhtml

Geez twa pehs, ain plen bridie an an ingin ain ana _ planko _ Blipfoto.mhtml

I just know that's nonsense; it's a Forfar bridie!

• Confused 1

Indeed, World Famous like the Famous Original Fleming's Steak and Gravy Pie from Arbroath...

Wallace's Brides were nicer than Saddlers or McLarens IMO.

Dundee the candidate for European City of Culture 2023 and where the Autonomous Vehicles will likely be in use if they win that and hold it.

So ties in with its EV Taxi & Council vehicle fleet and the New V&A Dundee, and pehs and Michael Mara. (RIP).

http://dundee2023.eu 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Remember, the average car spends around 95 percent of its life sitting and doing nothing.

Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAT??!!

With increasing traffic volumes, we're spending more and more time in the car - It may not be moving, but the radio is on, the heater is on, the luggage compartments are full, the picnic tables are out (yes, we have a CR-V in the family) and the seats are reclined for sleeping.

So how does he expect me to "hail a pod" at 3am to come collect me from an off-road field 9 miles from the nearest highway? We don't all live in a sprawling metropolis...

• Like 1

Autonomous Glamping Pods will be available. 

Then the Camper / Motorhomes that need no driver, Convoys of  Autonomous Motor Homes, Cars / Caravans and HGV's 

heading for the Coast, Ferries & Operation Stack,  and then those heading to their favourite 'Driving Roads' & wild places.

Great journeys held up in traffic as power packs go flat because the sun is not shining and the solar panels on the roof are not charging the batteries, 

and the range extender engines have run out of fuel.

VW no doubt have a BUDD-E, ID / Buzz / Retro Style Autonomous Micro bus ready to show again in articles any day that is a bad news day for VW.

599ae7f91f00002a001aa226.jpeg

hqdefault.jpg

3BFB7EFA00000578-4101244-As_with_the_original_VW_Camper_the_interior_switches_the_vehicle-a-14_1483958891610.jpg

I need an Autonomous Boat / Van to tow behind my Autonomous Car.

Edited by Headinawayoffski