Autonomous driving

rickyang

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-44460980/this-car-is-on-autopilot-what-happens-next

I wonder if the problem here is the question being asked?

Rather than highlighting the crash "ooh look in this situation the Tesla would crash" should we not be asking "in this situation did the Tesla do the right thing"?

If I was driving the properly, with no assistance, I would be aware of the traffic around me in all four directions and presented with this I would know if I could dive right, left or should brake (driving properly remember).

(but really if I was driving properly I might well have been aware of the obstruction from half a mile away if I was looking ahead and had a line of sight)

Does the autopilot on the Tesla have awareness of the road users around it or is braking its only choice? Or would the majority of human drivers be be lax in knowing what's ahead and unable to brake as hard as the Tesla (recent news ignored) and would have the same accident but more energetically.

In this case is the Tesla's response statistically safer by still having an accident but at lower energies?

I'm no great fan of driving assistance beyond active cruise. I agree with the studies that show if the driver isn't requires to be in control their concentration will go. I think that just seems to be the way we are made. So either very little assistance or full automation. The Tesla half way option seems to be the worst most dangerous choice.

It’s my understanding the G5 telecommunications will enable all cars to communicate with each other in terms of spacial relativity down to military grade accuracy of cms if not mms. I imagine a field of separation would be maintained, destinations calculated and priorities applied.

They transition phase is the worry to me.

17 hours ago, Ryeman said:

It’s my understanding the G5 telecommunications will enable all cars to communicate with each other in terms of spacial relativity down to military grade accuracy of cms if not mms. I imagine a field of separation would be maintained, destinations calculated and priorities applied.

How long until all cars are fitted 20yr? 30?

18 hours ago, Ryeman said:

5G will offer higher communication speeds - where there is coverage (remember there are still large areas of the country that have no 4G or usable 3G and some without even 2G-GSM) but what information is carried over that communication is not related to the communication system be it 5G, 4G, 3G or WHY.

Positional accuracy is down to the GPS/Galileo/Glonass systems and how often fixes are taken - but with Brexit there is a risk that the UK may be excluded from Galileo (already contracts are being placed with non-UK companies that were expected to be placed with UK companies that have already supplied identical components.

Relying on there being sufficient 5G infrastructure for autonomous vehicles to communicate is not a safe strategy (what about in tunnels?), an autonomous mesh (direct vehicle to vehicle communication) will also be required.

6 hours ago, Aspman said:

How long until all cars are fitted 20yr? 30?

I would have thought well beyond a decade but there seems to be a worldwide push to make it happen ASAP.

The enabling of partial assistance potentially lulling drivers into even more distracted behaviour must be a concern if the whole exercise is to eliminate human factors associated with the road toll.

Our Astra has lane keep assist but only works when road width and line markings meet a certain spec it seems.

I doubt I’ll be around long enough to see it in Australia though but Western Europe is a different matter.

5 hours ago, SWBoy said:

5G will offer higher communication speeds - where there is coverage (remember there are still large areas of the country that have no 4G or usable 3G and some without even 2G-GSM) but what information is carried over that communication is not related to the communication system be it 5G, 4G, 3G or WHY.

Positional accuracy is down to the GPS/Galileo/Glonass systems and how often fixes are taken - but with Brexit there is a risk that the UK may be excluded from Galileo (already contracts are being placed with non-UK companies that were expected to be placed with UK companies that have already supplied identical components.

Relying on there being sufficient 5G infrastructure for autonomous vehicles to communicate is not a safe strategy (what about in tunnels?), an autonomous mesh (direct vehicle to vehicle communication) will also be required.

Whatever system results it’ll have to be 100% reliable which in this age will be nice for a change.

8 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Whatever system results it’ll have to be 100% reliable which in this age will be nice for a change.

And extremely unlikely given the way the software testing is now done - using scripts written by the developer themselves, which means they include the same misinterpretation of the requirement.

Bring back independent "Chinese Wall" testing... where testing is done by a separate team who write their own test specifications.

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news.........telling you what they think you want to hear -

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180807/BLOG06/180809813/time-for-automakers-to-tap-the-brakes-on-self-driving-car-technology?cciid=email-autonews-daily

a bit like flying cars (and pigs?)

Edited by Ryeman

• 4 weeks later...

Do we need line markings for autonomous driving?.

If so, how are farmers, for instance, going to access the perfect sealed roads.  We have hundreds of thousands of kilometres of unsealed roads?.  GPS alone?.

10 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Do we need line markings for autonomous driving?.

If so, how are farmers, for instance, going to access the perfect sealed roads.  We have hundreds of thousands of kilometres of unsealed roads?.  GPS alone?.

As does Finland, and the UK has lots of road with only one running lane for 2-way traffic. (AFAIK so do France and Spain, and I think North America)

South America and the Indian sub-continent have roads with only one unsealed running lane...

Elephant in the room.  Snow on the lines.  So painted lines will not be the solution.

It will have to be Catseye type transmitters.  But then they are on that, and heated and charging surfaces / lanes.

As far a farmers, there are Autonomous vehicles in fields with no lines, actually they will be ploughing the lines into the fields.

• 4 weeks later...

Tesla published its first quarterly safety report.

Summary as follows:

• Over the past quarter, Tesla registered one accident or crash-like event for every 3.34 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged.
  • For those driving without Autopilot, Tesla registered one accident or crash-like event for every 1.92 million miles driven. By comparison, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) most recent data shows that in the United States, there is an automobile crash every 492,000 miles. While NHTSA’s data includes accidents that have occurred, our records include accidents as well as near misses (what we are calling crash-like events).

So there we have it. You’re safer in a Tesla even with AP off. With it on you’re about 6 times safer.

From here:

https://insideevs.com/tesla-q3-vehicle-safety-report/

• Thanks 1

BMW North America admit the 3 series is making an impact on the sales of their 3 series.

It seems owners absolutely love their electric Tesla.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes really.  100% fact,

that the CEO promised it, and they must be promising it to those backing them with money.   We will see now that he has this or record.

http://addisonlee.com/services/standard-cars

http://addisonlee.co.uk/services/about

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-45935000

The UK Government will throw money at them, have lots of business meetings in nice places and be driven in armoured cars with protection officers in gas guzzlers.

Some might wonder how the USA or others security organisations knows so much about everything going on in the likes of the UK / London but if you have 5,000 drivers and chauffeurs transporting people 

it could help quite a lot with Homeland Security & other useful things.

Pay by card or contactless / account, GPS / Trackers, WIFI, Cameras / recording, and even better autonomous vehicles.

Move around Bankers, Politicians, Captains of Industry, Military and Security Bosses and friends families and loved ones about...

'Track you from your flight and get you to your destination.'

ADDISONLEE, The firm which is owned by the 'Private equity giant Carlyle.'

That will be the huge arms and defence corporation that Sir John Major was the European Chairman of at one point, another person with influence and phone numbers to anyone of importance around the world, like many other world leaders and chancellors and finance ministers that are part of 'The Carlyle Group' or being seen OK by them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlyle_Group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Major

John Major Appointed European Chairman of The Carlyle Group _ The Carlyle Group.mhtml

Carlyle Group offers a slice of its own brand of controversy for $7bn _ Business _ The Guardian.mhtml

Edited by Offski