Space saver wheel newbie

nugbuv

Next month I am due to become a first-time Skoda owner (Yeti Outdoor Se L Drive, petrol).

My excitement is tempered by uncertainty over the spare wheel, which I ommitted to order. The dealer offers to retro supply for £220. I see spare wheels on the web for less than £90. I am confused by forum talk of a false bottom for spare wheels. Can owners please advise:

will my yeti come with a wheel well, or is this part of the supplier's retro fit?

the Skoda brochure says the standard wheel size is 225/50r17. The dealer says the spare size is 295/60r16, is this correct?

Will any 205/60r16 space saver wheel fit the Yeti, or does it have to be a Yeti wheel?

Any help gratefully received.

Next month I am due to become a first-time Skoda owner (Yeti Outdoor Se L Drive, petrol).

My excitement is tempered by uncertainty over the spare wheel, which I ommitted to order. The dealer offers to retro supply for £220. I see spare wheels on the web for less than £90. I am confused by forum talk of a false bottom for spare wheels. Can owners please advise:

will my yeti come with a wheel well, or is this part of the supplier's retro fit?

the Skoda brochure says the standard wheel size is 225/50r17. The dealer says the spare size is 295/60r16, is this correct?

Will any 205/60r16 space saver wheel fit the Yeti, or does it have to be a Yeti wheel?

Jesus, 295?? is that a McLaren rear?

• Like 1

Any wheel of a VW, Audi, Seat or Skoda will fit as long as it is the correct bolt pattern (5x112 mm)  centre hole size (67.1mm I think) and offset (around 45 mm I believe) My winter tyres are on steel wheels from a VW Caddy van The false bottom is the tray that fits above the spare to create a new boot floor, you will lose some depth from the boot space. All cars come with the wheel well, it is part of the body work pressing in the factory, it is just filled differently in cars without a spare, just the compressor and gunk. I have a spare in my Yeti and yes it is the 205/60R16 size.

Ian.

The offset is not the same as the full size alloys (ET45)!

The steel rim with a 195/60/16 tyre should have ET50 stamped on it. (50mm offset) 

Thank you for the helpful advice so far. I am very impressed by the swift and extra-mile responses.

Skoda drivers obviously care about their cars and like sharing the joys with others.

All cars come with the wheel well, it is part of the body work pressing in the factory

To be clear: the well is always there, but it's not deep enough to accommodate the whole spare.  That's why you need the plastic boxes to fill the space around the spare wheel, to provide a level set of supports across the whole area of the boot floor.  It's also why the level of the boot floor is higher than if you don't have the spare wheel.  (To my mind that latter has the benefit that it makes loading heavy stuff into the boot easier, because you don't have to lower it down on the boot floor: the raised floor is more or less level with the boot opening.  It also means that I don't risk slipping backwards in to the boot when I sit on the bumper to put my walking boots on!)

I notice that the kit that Clive spotted on eBay does not include the boot floor.  IIRC the raised boor floor for cars equipped with a spare wheel is different to the lower boot floor for those without, so not getting it as part of the kit could be a bit of a pain (though you can order it as a separate spare).  I suspect you could probably manage OK with the 'wrong' boot floor on top of the spare wheel but it might not be as stable as the proper one.

To be clear: the well is always there, but it's not deep enough to accommodate the whole spare.  That's why you need the plastic boxes to fill the space around the spare wheel, to provide a level set of supports across the whole area of the boot floor.  It's also why the level of the boot floor is higher than if you don't have the spare wheel.  (To my mind that latter has the benefit that it makes loading heavy stuff into the boot easier, because you don't have to lower it down on the boot floor: the raised floor is more or less level with the boot opening.  It also means that I don't risk slipping backwards in to the boot when I sit on the bumper to put my walking boots on!)

I notice that the kit that Clive spotted on eBay does not include the boot floor.  IIRC the raised boor floor for cars equipped with a spare wheel is different to the lower boot floor for those without, so not getting it as part of the kit could be a bit of a pain (though you can order it as a separate spare).  I suspect you could probably manage OK with the 'wrong' boot floor on top of the spare wheel but it might not be as stable as the proper one.

Of course if you can live without a spare wheel then you can get a variable boot floor that enables you to maximise boot space (over a third bigger without spare wheel) or have floor level with sill for ease of loading/sitting to put boots on!

Argh! Just when I thought things were getting clearer.

I saw a 'Genuine SKoda Yeti spare wheel and tyre' for £125 on ebay. It is 195/60 R16 89H. It has the yellow speed restriction stickers.

I asked the seller (who appears to be in the trade) whether it could be used instead of the 205/60r16 recommended by my dealer.

The seller replied: I have not heard of that size as a spare wheel before, ours is a Skoda accessory and is 19560r16, going by epac the Skoda dealer accessory catalogue I would consider this is correct, so unsure on the recommendation from your dealer.

Can anybody please tell me whether this wheel would work for me?

Having had the benefit of a company car for the past 20 or so years, I really am out of touch with grown-up car ownership.

I saw a 'Genuine SKoda Yeti spare wheel and tyre' for £125 on ebay. It is 195/60 R16 89H. It has the yellow speed restriction stickers.

I asked the seller (who appears to be in the trade) whether it could be used instead of the 205/60r16 recommended by my dealer.

In your opening post you said the Dealer told you the spare wheel size was 195/60 R16 (well you actually said 295/60r16, but I knew what you meant) .

• Like 1

yes, I did make a typo in my original, here (cut and pasted) is what my dealer said

The £220 includes, Jack wheel brace, towing eye and screwdriver etc, it is a full kit for the vehicle,

205/60 R16 Tyre for the spare wheel.

In your opening post you said the Dealer told you the spare wheel size was 195/60 R16 (well you actually said 295/60r16, but I knew what you meant) .

I think you may find that 205/60/R16 is for the full-size. The 89H on the FleaBay spare is the load rating.

Usually the kit is in 2 halves

1) The spare wheel 195/60/R16 for 130 quid, (same size for all Yeti)

2) The boxes with all fixtures, Tools and new boot floor. about 120 quid.

There are 2 versions of this kit so you need to state which model you have 2 or 4 wheel drive 

I haggled for mine and got it all for £200 though it was about 4 years ago.

Tried to type a.) and b.) but this happens ;

a)

B)

Edited by RickT
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm also on the look out for a spare wheel as selling the Yeti to my Dad and he wants a spare !

so I guess I need the spare the fixing kit the polystyrene bits jack etc 

but do I need a new boot floor or will the one I have be ok ? 

Im guessing that as the floor is lower the foot print is bigger 

cheers 

Andy 

I bought my current Yeti in 2012 with a spare wheel and have never had to use it. The never-used spare reduces the boot space by 1/3rd, which make a big difference when loading for a holiday etc. I have just ordered a new Yeti and have decided to have a variable boot floor because I would rather have the extra boot space than sacrifice 1/3rd of the space on the off-chance of having a puncture that could not be fixed by the AA at the side of the road. Also AA now carry universal spare wheels so in the event the "gunk" doesn't work then you are still mobile. Incidentally the "gunk" the AA uses is water soluble so no problem getting the tyre repaired at a reputable tyre depot.

The thought of trying to change a wheel by the side of a motorway or even a side road is so fraught with danger that I wouldn't contemplate it on todays busy roads. I must admit however that after 50+ years of having a spare wheel it is a big wrench giving it up no matter how sensible the choice!!

I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles with cars with spare wheels in the boot and not had to use them.

Two yetis without a spare and I have had punctures in both.

One on the A38, but managed to get off road to a same area, but tyre was destroyed. 90 minute wait for AA who took me and the wheel to a Kwik Fit for a new tre about 10 miles away then back to vehicle to put wheel back on. He said if Kwik Fit had been closed I would have had to be relayed home, over 100 miles.

Second time was on the drive, front wheel was flat in the morning. As safely  at home and very busy  AA couldn't come until the next day! They turned up next morning and plugged the hole, which I then had to drive on to a Kwik Fit 6 miles away to get a permanent repair.

So I have never been offered the loan of a wheel? How would they get them back, or do they sell you one at the roadside?

My logic is if I order a car with a spare, I won't have a puncture?

Edited by kenfowler3966
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

I bought my current Yeti in 2012 with a spare wheel and have never had to use it. The never-used spare reduces the boot space by 1/3rd, which make a big difference when loading for a holiday etc. I have just ordered a new Yeti and have decided to have a variable boot floor because I would rather have the extra boot space than sacrifice 1/3rd of the space on the off-chance of having a puncture that could not be fixed by the AA at the side of the road. Also AA now carry universal spare wheels so in the event the "gunk" doesn't work then you are still mobile. Incidentally the "gunk" the AA uses is water soluble so no problem getting the tyre repaired at a reputable tyre depot.

The thought of trying to change a wheel by the side of a motorway or even a side road is so fraught with danger that I wouldn't contemplate it on todays busy roads. I must admit however that after 50+ years of having a spare wheel it is a big wrench giving it up no matter how sensible the choice!!

Are sure it is a third? It raises the boot floor by just under 6", but provides quite a bit of storage space around it.

Standard capacity is 416 litres, and I estimate the spare wheel, etc, takes up about 45 litres, so just over 10%, not including the storage area boxes around the wheel.

I totally agree with the safety aspect in your last paragraph!

27 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Are sure it is a third? It raises the boot floor by just under 6", but provides quite a bit of storage space around it.

Standard capacity is 416 litres, and I estimate the spare wheel, etc, takes up about 45 litres, so just over 10%, not including the storage area boxes around the wheel.

I totally agree with the safety aspect in your last paragraph!

Sorry, accurate figures as follows. Boot space with spare is 322 litres, boot space without spare is 416 litres. Difference is 94 litres, so 29% bigger than boot with spare OR 22.5% smaller than boot without spare. There is some space around the spare but not what you would call boot space. 

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles with cars with spare wheels in the boot and not had to use them.

One on the A38, but managed to get off road to a same area, but tyre was destroyed. 90 minute wait for AA who took me and the wheel to a Kwik Fit for a new tre about 10 miles away then back to vehicle to put wheel back on. He said if Kwik Fit had been closed I would have had to be relayed home, over 100 miles.

Second time was on the drive, front wheel was flat in the morning. As safely  at home and very busy  AA couldn't come until the next day! They turned up next morning and plugged the hole, which I then had to drive on to a Kwik Fit 6 miles away to get a permanent repair.

So I have never been offered the loan of a wheel? How would they get them back, or do they sell you one at the roadside?

That, I'm afraid, is one of the immutable laws of Sod, frequently illustrated in any number of scenarios - insurance, umbrella, clean underwear, "something for the weekend" Etc.    

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

AA pick their spare wheel up from the tyre depot where you get your tyre repaired or replaced. If I had a puncture at/near home then no problems as I have trolley jack etc as well as winter wheels to use as a "spare". 

Edited by Expatman