Shark map

Well that's it I've taken the plunge, i have paid for a shark map on my 2014 Tsi vrs can't get it done till March though, it's gonna be a long wait. Custom exhaust to be fitted February so will hopefully sound the part too. What other mods would you recommend before the remap ( muffler delete, turbo elbow and silicone turbo hose perhaps?

That's the case on a diesel but the OP has a TSI.

How does it differ? On my previous car (Saab 9-3 2.8v6 Turbo) it made no difference to change the induction since there was a MAF regulating the mixture and the amount of air intake - it would adjust and compensate to always take the same amount regardless of what intake setup you had.

Only reason to do it would be to get more induction noise. The performance filters tend to let oil in, which damages sensors and also let more dirt in because they are more porous. Another problem (granted, most good setups I have seen for this car, do it properly) is heat soak and sucking in hot air.

...and to make it clear, I am not trying to be provocative :) You most certainly know more about this than I do and I genuinely want to learn and understand how it is different and why it is better to do it on the TSI.

It differs because of the fundamental design characteristics of each engine.

In the most basic format possible:

Diesel engines - regulate engine speed and power via fuel quantity, the more fuel you can get in: the more power is produced. A diesel will only ever take in as much air as required by the ECU.

Petrol engines - are regulated by the amount of air drawn into the cylinders and the ecu compensates with fuel to match. The more air that can be drawn in - the more fuel can be matched and the more power can be made.

MAF is generally used for the regulation of EGR flow on some engines and even though it helps to clarify intake air quantity the lambda probes are what regulate AIR/FUEL ratio. MAP sensors play more of a part in power generation and directly affect the operation of the turbo/supercharger.

You find that some engines have no MAF, only a MAP.

Lean mixture = too much air

Rich mixture = too much fuel

If the lambda probe(s) see the mixture begin to lean off (because there is more air than expected due to the new induction kit) it will inject more fuel to richen the mixture and produce a more efficient burn. This will only occur up until the point where parameters are operated outside of and then a fault will be logged by the ecu.

More induction noise will occur because of the open design of some filters.

As for oiled filters, sparsely packed filters and heat soak if you buy a "decent" kit like Revo one the filter is dry, offers superior protection and flow to the standard box and provides a shield to prevent heat soak. They also offer a large cold air intake kit for MQB kits.

The TFSI and TSI engines benefit greatly from better air flow and R-tech have had phenominal results on their maps in conjunction with the Revo kit.

Edited by James@RRGRochdale
  • Like 1

How does it differ? On my previous car (Saab 9-3 2.8v6 Turbo) it made no difference to change the induction since there was a MAF regulating the mixture and the amount of air intake - it would adjust and compensate to always take the same amount regardless of what intake setup you had.

The MAF doesn't regulate air quantity taken in the engine, the throttle body does (which is governed by the ECU from the lambda signals). That explanation sound very much like how a diesel works and there may be some wires crossed.

On an older diesel injection quantity would be regulated by the likes of fuel temp, air quantity (measured via map or MAF) and the timing of the injection stroke. Later diesels now use the like of a single lambda probe to measure and calculate injection quantities more accurately.

• Like 1

This is the induction kit I'm on about

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/18-20-tsi-mqb-air-intake-system

Or Revo also sell this kit claiming an increase of 16bhp over the standard setup

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/carbon-air-intake-mqb

This is the induction kit I'm on about

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/18-20-tsi-mqb-air-intake-system

Or Revo also sell this kit claiming an increase of 16bhp over the standard setup

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/air-filter-intake-kits/carbon-air-intake-mqb

I do like the look of the VWR R600 kit as it looks quite OEM and like it was meant to be there. I do wonder how much benefit comes from it in reality unless you are going much past stage 1 though

Hey. I got the stage 1 at shark and the (BMC CDA) intake and it has made just noise mostly (2 or 3 added NM but nothing you'd notice). I've been researching it for quite some time and it seems the factory filter box is quite good. However the biggest limitation on the intake side seems to be the turbo inlet (to small) and the hose between the turbo inlet and filter box.

Go to vwroc.com and search for turbo technics large bore hose. They've done countless dynos and tests and it seems all the box needs is a drop in filter, and not an actual box replacement.

Here's just one:

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/13015-best-turbo-inlet-hose/

I'm looking to swap my intake with the mentioned setup as we speak.

The revo mqb intake partially addresses this by replacing the hose (they leave the box and replace just the filter inside) but the intake inlet stays the same, so I'm questioning the reported gains as the inlet remains the limitation.

Also a few people had good results with the vwr600 but for Mr that's way to expensive and again... Just the intake gets replaced.

Also the TT large bore hose and a drop in filter together costs less than any of these intake setups including Revo.

Good luck!

Edited by Magget

Dunno. All golf owners say that the filter box and all mounts are flexible as is the pipe itself and should be ok. All who installed reported no issues including the companies that did the tests and installing.

The flexibility is the only thing keeping me from buying it. I'm looking for someone with first hand experiences

I can't say about muffler delete.

Apparently the large bore and hose + filter, and downpipe with a sports cat and a stage 2 tune is the best bang for buck. From there on it gets super expensive.

Talk to the Shark guys, they know their stuff.

Edited by Magget

• 2 months later...
On 12/01/2017 at 12:21, swany said:

Let me know how you get on with your intake if you go for one Magget

Swany I got the TT inlet and BMC panel filter yesterday, so I'll post some pictures on Sunday when I put everything in. 

On Fri Mar 31 2017 at 17:46, ahenners said:

Any updates on this OP? Keen to hear about the map and exhaust!

Yeah echaust not been done yet as it got postponed due to the snow we had in the Borders in February now getting done this Friday so will keep you updated. As for the map, good points and bad points... good points are it pulls like a train in gears 3 upwards, gears 1 and 2 are to get car rolling if you want to keep your tyres and clutch. Mpg has incresed if you are driving with the kids in the car. BaD points are doesn't seem to be as smooth in the lower rev range, need to change the dv valve as a couple of times it's failed to hold boost between gears when under hard acceleration and the car gives out more reek out the back when giving it lots of gas. So all in all it depends what you want out of the car

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As promised swany, pics. 

Car is actually a lot more lively, every accelerator application immediate, and the car is a lot smoother in the higher revs. 

I'm going to the vrsnorthampton dyno day next weekend so I'll have the numbers as well.

The panel filter is BMC.

Btw did Shark do the remap for you? If so, did you talk to them about your problems? I'm asking as I've had absolutely no problems with boost or low revs pressure. Maybe there's something they can do about it?

IMG_20170410_184715.jpg

IMG_20170407_175036.jpg

Edited by Magget
  • Like 1

At the risk of opening a can of worms...Is there any benefit of the BMC panel filter over a fresh OEM paper filter?

Just a sports cat downpipe required and you can go stage 2 with the OEM cat back exhaust I presume?

Have you read my build thread?

I'm nearly ready for stage 2 mapping on my vrs but I'm wanting a wagner intercooler for it then it can go for mapping.

Mods on my vrs

220bhp dsg

Vwr r600 induction kit 

Vwr turbo pipe 

Vwr 90° pipe 

Neuspeed hi flo intercooler pipe and muffler delete 

Gfb dv+ (golf r)

3" milltek turbo back with sports cat and non res 

Also I've got the Apr boost pipes to fit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kahunajb said:

At the risk of opening a can of worms...Is there any benefit of the BMC panel filter over a fresh OEM paper filter?

Just a sports cat downpipe required and you can go stage 2 with the OEM cat back exhaust I presume?

It's supposed to be a bit less restrictive, but the main benefit is that as I have the cleaning kit and oil I won't need to pay for replacements when servicing it. 

I'm doing 170 miles per day without any vacations so I'm servicing it a bit more often than the average owner.

The biggest benefit in the setup is the turbo inlet replacement.