Octavia 1.2 TSI after -22 Celsius

Last night in south part of Poland had a freezing night, after that today I wanted to clean and start both my Octavia 1.2 TSI from 2011 and my wife`s Civic 1.4 from 2008 which she failed to start when she tried before me.

When I went next to the cars it was around -17 Celsius, gave it a try with Civic first, 4 seconds and no go- gave it some gas and finally around 6-7 seconds it started with a very loud noise - made a tour trying to get the engine warm a little - I also felt like the clutch was so tough which got better after 5 minutes of driving.

Then I came for Skoda with little less hope :) Turned the ignition two times on off and then turned the key - 2 seconds and we are on! She started! After all the rattling noise issues, she put a smile on my face :) I took a drive around 5 miles using it less than 2500 rpm, got it warm and turned back, she did not make any weird sound, lag or etc.

The doors were frozen though, it was hard to open driver`s door, I did not force my luck with the other ones.

I will try to write a short review of how I feel with the car after 4 months of drive with 1.2 TSI, which actually I am mostly happy with however with question marks in the head.

Difficult conditions. I'm not sure I can really fully relate, a freezing night here is -5C,. Boy oh boy that feels cold.  Do you run block heaters?  It must be incredibly tough for an engine to start at -22C... Must be some likelihood of serious frozen parts. Can't be good with long term wear.

Difficult conditions. I'm not sure I can really fully relate, a freezing night here is -5C,. Boy oh boy that feels cold.  Do you run block heaters?  It must be incredibly tough for an engine to start at -22C... Must be some likelihood of serious frozen parts. Can't be good with long term wear.

Generally around winter time, at night here the worst weather is around -5. -10 degrees, it goes down like this week so rare during the winter, and believe me around -20 is extremely difficult. I was in gas station yesterday to put some liquid for windshield, put my gloves off for 1 minute and could not move my fingers after that. Before Poland, I was living in a city where the lowest temperature was around -1, -2 , after 5 years here, I got used to it.

As for block heathers, I do not use - even if I had one, I would not know where to plug it in, and I suppose I will not need them as these degrees come so rarely.

I try not to force the cars at all during these times, let`s hope they won`t have any trouble after all.

Last night was freezing as well, I will see today if the ladies will start 

In cold climates it is important to have fresh engine oil suitable for winter season (like SAE5W-50). The battery capacity will drop in freezing cold temperatures, so use a home charger regularily to have the battery fully charged. Check the anti-freeze so it will cope with the actual temperatures.

I have used some covers in front of the grille or directly on the radiator to reduce the cold air stream to the engine bay. It reduces warm up time for the engine and interior. The size can be adjusted to the temperatures you have, but it is no problem to cover half the radiator. Just keep an eye on the temperature gauge, and reduce size/remove if temperature rises.post-123248-0-39607100-1483889563_thumb.jpg

In cold climates it is important to have fresh engine oil suitable for winter season (like SAE5W-50)[/url]

5w-50??? Dont be daft. You need 0w30 if temperatures dip below -20deg C regularly. 5w30 is good to around -30 deg iirc, but a 0w oil would flow easier at that temp and cause less damage due to poor circulation, which was probably the Honda's problem.

Anyone who lives in Poland would know that cold snaps to below -20 deg are not uncommon in winter in parts (its a big country).

Started my 98 Alhambra tdi after stood in -23 deg C for 2 days whilst in

Poland a few years back. No problem, but glow plug light took well over 10 seconds to go out instead of the normal 1 second.

5w-50??? Dont be daft. You need 0w30 if temperatures dip below -20deg C regularly. 5w30 is good to around -30 deg iirc, but a 0w oil would flow easier at that temp and cause less damage due to poor circulation

Yes, SAE 0W-XX will flow a little better at low temperatures like -30 and is set to cope down to -35 deg C. But bear in mind that the given limits are for consistent temperatures, if temperatures stays that low for a longer period. No need to go bananas, it is not Arctic temperatures the OP talking about. OP said that worst is -5 to -10 deg C, and rarely goes down to -20 C. Then a SAE 5W-xx is suited.

Another thing is to check the oil requirements from VAG for the engine in question.

post-123248-0-05655200-1483944253_thumb.jpeg

Thanks a lot for your comments guys

As for the oil, Skoda`s last servicing was done in July before i bought her - i believe they are putting the oil taking into account the hard winter conditions

I serviced Honda in authorized service as well however i doubt what they put in it after this winter.

I used to put 0w 30 full syntethic for my 1.5 megane dci in previous years which did not give any trouble

Today was comparatively better around -10 both started good however i recognized the batteries were not perfect after a few freezing nights - will have to check it, thinking about selling Civic though 1.4 idsi has very poor performance with acceleration however i do not know what else we can buy for the wife :(

And weird but happened - the day before ( it was -17 at night ) there was ice on the windshield from the inside and too much steam - i always turn the heater to windows with Octavia during these cold days - might be some leak somewhere or about the heating system, we will see.

Finally will have time to take her for authorized service

Problems i have

As xman knows - rattling sound ( i have checked with one authorized here they refused to use the kit you mentioned)

Steam and ice on the windshield

And kind of weird sound when i turn the key to start the car when it is below 5 celsius sth like sound of a belt which i suspect it could be starter motor

If this second Skoda authorized service also refuses to use the last kit for timing issue, i will check with and independant garage i found which is specialized for wolkswagen group - if they are also not able to, i will have to sell skoda despite the fact i realy like the performance.

Edited by istannbullu34

Finally will have time to take her for authorized service

Problems i have

As xman knows - rattling sound ( i have checked with one authorized here they refused to use the kit you mentioned)

Steam and ice on the windshield

And kind of weird sound when i turn the key to start the car when it is below 5 celsius sth like sound of a belt which i suspect it could be starter motor

If this second Skoda authorized service also refuses to use the last kit for timing issue, i will check with and independant garage i found which is specialized for wolkswagen group - if they are also not able to, i will have to sell skoda despite the fact i realy like the performance.

For information I eventually got my dealer to change the timing chain on our late 2011 (car built around Oct/Nov) 1.2tsi Octavia.

Total charge was £371 inc vat and they used repair kit 03F198158B (£70.41+vat). Which I thought was reasonable considering there was no contribution from Skoda who really should have done this under warranty.

Job time was 3.5 hours iirc

No more rattly teeth clenching startups (for now)! :)

Edited by xman

Actually a petrol car should be fine even in -30 if the battery if good. Probably it's about the temperature I've started my father's 1,6 MPI Octavia. Started immediately.

My 2,0 TDI has been started at ~ -20. Warmed plugs twice just in case and it started fine.

About frozen doors - be careful with that. You can accidentally damage seals. Use silicone spray before winter.

For information I eventually got my dealer to change the timing chain on our late 2011 (car built around Oct/Nov) 1.2tsi Octavia.

Total charge was £371 inc vat and they used repair kit 03F198158B (£70.41+vat). Which I thought was reasonable considering there was no contribution from Skoda who really should have done this under warranty.

Job time was 3.5 hours iirc

No more rattly teeth clenching startups (for now)! :)

Thank you xman, good for you :) I suppose mine can be little more expensive, I was quoted 475 GBP with vat in previous dealer just for cambelt change which is a terrible amount (the one which rejected this kit 03F198158B ) If I will be able to wake up early tomorrow, I will head for the second dealer before work, talk to them and I will also try my luck about Skoda`s contribution which I do not have much hope - I am sure they will say that it is in limits like your case and the car has 5 years.

Actually a petrol car should be fine even in -30 if the battery if good. Probably it's about the temperature I've started my father's 1,6 MPI Octavia. Started immediately.

My 2,0 TDI has been started at ~ -20. Warmed plugs twice just in case and it started fine.

About frozen doors - be careful with that. You can accidentally damage seals. Use silicone spray before winter.

Exactly, battery seems to be better now, last few days it was not too much freezing

This morning when I came whole car was frozen again (it was showing -18), she got started without any issue but it took me 15 minutes to clean her and costed me frozen fingers :)

I am trying not to touch the doors other than driver`s side :) she has been okay - once I got problem with right passenger door on the back, used silicone spray - but I will take your advice, I will use it before cold starts next time.

And the worst thing is the car looks like it was used for off road racing :) cannot wash it for weeks because of minus degrees and looks like I will not be able to in next few weeks as well