2018 Ford F150

Ryeman

Looks like a big place that hasn't actually cut much room in it if that makes sense.

Everything is scaled up so much it's got the front room of a Yeti, but it's about climbing up to get in it seems to me

Maximising INefficiency

Edited by Ryeman

I've been lucky enough to drive the old F150 lightning and although the interior looked as though it was made of Play-doh and those really big Duplo plastic bricks, it was a hoot to drive. 0-60 in around 5.6 seconds I think (less if you had a different final gear)  and 380bhp. We had them for sale when i worked at Bauer Millet, and a really good secondhand one was under £20k :)

I used to hate USA cars until I started to drive them. They were/are generally badly built, with giant buttons on everything (do Americans have really big fingers?), the cars generally wallow in corners, the brakes are suspicious and steering over-assisted. But those big lazy V8s and the correct wheels being driven can't help but make you smile. In the end I ended up loving them :) I certainly would be happy with a Corvette C6 or C7, F150 Lightning, Cobra etc etc   

This new F150 looks like something from a Sci-fi film!

Edited by Lady Elanore

i'd only park it when I refueled or got home. Actually when you see Range Rovers and those daft Audi Q7s driving about, many Yank Tanks aren't really any wider. even the H2 Hummer which people perceived as being a leviathan, wasn't any bigger than a Range Rover of that time (it was a teeny bit heavier though at around 3 tonnes :D)

The F150 and that Hummer are the 'small' ones and heaven forbid if you need to do a U turn or navigate a UK supermarket car park

I've been shopping in a Suburban :D The H2 is only Tahoe sized (although based on a cut down Suburban chassis). I used to know all the specs of size and weight on these cars when I sold them, but it was quite a while ago and my mind is a lot more fuzzy these days :zzz:

The daftest truck I drove was possibly the F350 4x4 Dually. You should try to climb up into it wearing a pencil skirt :D Very big silly pick-up and had a ridiculous 7.2 V8 diesel. it had a 1 ton bed as they say, whereas the F150 had only a 1/2 ton bed. Although we once put around a ton in the back of a F150 and the pickup/trucks suspension only dropped by about 2 inches :D We figured the Americans where worried about litigation so overbuilt it, or undervalued the load capacity.

Edited by Lady Elanore

For such a large truck (F350) 1 ton is somewhat puny.

Agree, it must be the legal eagles

There might also be some sort of gross vehicle weight regs in the USA. Over here, the F150 couldn't legally be registered as a regular vehicle because of it's weight and carrying capacity, the boss would apparently stick a different badge on the pickup to get it through the DVLAs visual check (they had no idea what they were looking at).  It was one of the problems that Humvee owners also faced

We also sold the huge Chevvy 3500HD which even Colin D would struggle to climb up and into without the use of crampons and a fixed line of some sort. Nobody ever pushes you out of the way when you come to roadworks and single lane reductions, even the artic's think twice :)

I am probably being thick, but I don't see why that makes a difference?

I mean in your typical supermarket car park etc

Reversing in means you know what's about......out you're blind

I mean in your typical supermarket car park etc

Reversing in means you know what's about......out you're blind

I once read that car thieves were less likely to steel a car driven in forwards, plus it's easier to load your car after a big shop. Tbh I have never worked out which way is best, they both have 'ups and downs'. Probably driving a big pickup helps when parking as you need one and a half parking slots, so you get room all around and if you hit something like the F350 or 3500, you probably wouldn't notice