LED Number plate lights - Bulb warning...

So, I fitted some allegedly CANbus compatible LED number plate lights only to be greeted by a bulb warning light...Is there a way to prevent this? Strap some resistors around the bulb holder to fake a standard bulb maybe?

May I ask - what's the point of using these LED bulbs and having lots of problems instead of regular ones? What do you wish to achieve by using these ones?

There are no issues if quality LEDs are used in a car with a BCM that's both correctly coded and designed to support LEDs.

Benefits include lifetime, reliability, instant full brightness and lower power consumption.

If cheap, badly designed LEDs are used then there are plenty of potencial issues that might hit you :)

And I think disabling the Canbus 'bulb out' warning is silly.

It is there for a reason and I have seen a few cars recently with either one or even both brake lights (in a few cases, too) not working.

Dangerous at the best of times, but in this weather with fog included, these drivers are fools.

Finding some better quality ones that do not affect the system is a much better and sensible idea.

Edited by Tilt

Benefits include lifetime, reliability, instant full brightness and lower power consumption.

Sometimes it sounds silly when people talk about lower power consumption but in the meantime add some resistors to the LED :)

I'm not talking about you but generally.

• Like 1

Find the right ones that work, and they are brighter, last longer and do not fade over time like conventional bulbs, The ones I have are from ebay, and are right for VW group with the right plug sockets etc, so they literally just a direct replacement.

I use complete LED units in both a preFL and a FL Octavia, the FL has been coded to take LEDs, and never had any issues whatever since the day they were fitted.

Mike

These were my reasons, I also like the clean whiteness of the light compared to the beige/yellow of an incandescent.

I know a guy who has VCDS, whereabouts should we be looking to disable the cold bulb test for the number plate lights? (It is that that I need to disable isn't it?)

Coding the car for LEDs does not cancel out the canbus bulb failure light.  

I don't think there is a way of actually disabling the whole bulb failure warning system. 

Mike 

I was referring to the mention of disabling via vcds, Mike.

I nearly put in 'correctly coding them makes sense', but decided not to.

It does make sense that you cannot disable the (canbus) system. :thumbup: .