Hill assist

Rossyk

Stop the car on a hill, take your foot off the brake and it will hold the car still for 1.5 seconds (I tried it on mine and it lasts a bit longer sometimes) so you can pull away again without putting the handbrake on. It does work but I'm still not fully trustworthy of the system yet.

My Dad has it on his 159 and he claims it is useless and doesn't work; thing is it does but it's so smooth he hasn't noticed! 

It does work on our 2016 Citigo ASG,which I drive occasionally,but it does take a little getting used to it.

Only kicks in at a certain angle of hill. I love mine. great device. Hopefully one day all these parking sensors, anti roll backward and anti bumping into people in front of you devices get together and agree to stop the car rolling backward into the car behind you automatically in every car..

The HHC is quite clever too in that if you are facing forwards uphill it'll work when in a forward gear but not in reverse and when facing forwards downhill it'll not work with a forward gear but will work when selecting reverse. 

I had it enabled on my superb along with XDS (a form of electronic LSD). It's all controlled by the ABS module which basically just keeps the brakes applied after releasing the brake pedal until it senses the car has biting point and you are pulling away. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

The HHC is quite clever too in that if you are facing forwards uphill it'll work when in a forward gear but not in reverse and when facing forwards downhill it'll not work with a forward gear but will work when selecting reverse. 

I'd always noticed that it behaves in different ways works/does not work on my wife's Polo when reversing out of the garage and then waiting for her to close/lock the garage door and then continuing to reverse up the driveway, I'll need to try that with both gears, though in general I've found that it does not engage, but if I let the car roll back to wards the garage, the next time it will engage - I just put that down to it not being enabled until the ABS had tested itself.

I like the full version on my S4 which has an electric handbrake, the HHA is switchable, if on it will hold maybe for ever or until the clutch pedal is raised - open the drivers door or take off the driver's seat belt while it is on and the handbrake takes over!

One comment on not trusting it to hold the car, I think that all the HH* systems work the same, they just close the brake fluid valves, so if you have not pressed the brake pedal hard enough to hold the car when stationary, then once the ABS block valves are closed the brakes might not hold the car.

• Like 1