Octavia vRS stage 1 advice

So, my annoying little brother has gone and got himself a Focus RS. This has made me a bit envious. 

It's led me to want to tweak my 2016 vrs, but I've not really delved into the world of tuning the octavia so I've absolutely no idea where to start. Can anyone advise on companies, prices, and particular upgrades I should be looking for to dispose of my green eyed monster? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

• Like 1

I am also looking at putting a stage 1 on my 2016 vrs iv mainly looked into revo maps myself, so be intrested to see other views. I did post the same question few weeks ago cant find the thread to forward on.

Yeah I would have searched the forum as I imagine it's a topic that's been pretty heavily discussed, but for some reason the search function isn't working for me.

Also, should have added that it's the petrol engine

Most guys that get a remap choose from the likes of:

In random order.

Revo

http://www.revotechnik.com/product-details/software/skoda/octavia-mk3-2013-/182/stage-1

APR

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

Awesome Gti

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/apr/apr-stage-1-remap-2-0-tfsi-210-220-230bhp-engines/

Shark Performance

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/skoda/octavia/octavia-iii/2-0-tsi-rs-220-bhp/remaps-5348/skoda-octavia-iii-2013-220bhp-stage-1-remap

Some of the firms above might be doing a 25% discount ATM? I'm sure I read a thread on here which runs till the end of January, if not, then you can get 10% off from being a freedom member I believe!

But that doesn't mean to say that there ain't any other great tuning companies out there, It's just most of the tuning folk seem to go to the main stream companies above.

Take a look at this thread from xpower.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/402204-2016-vrs-tsi-remap-from-oscarli-with-data-logs-and-0-60-runs/

Custom remap written & impressive constructed data logs. 

http://www.oscarli.com/

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/r-tech-price-guide/

Me personally would really only look into doing a remap & also prefer the remap to be a custom/written map for my vehicle (xpower thread) but if you want more mods, then air intake mod, exhaust & remap, that's if you want to go down that route. Plus you can go beyond, like mad crazy with even more upgrades (Intercooler & turbo) but then you will be spending silly amounts of money, just keep it simple but effective.

(stage 1 remap)

(stage 1.5 remap & air intake)

(stage 2 remap, air intake, exhaust)

(stage 3 remap, air intake, exhaust, intercooler)

(stage 4 all the above plus turbo)

Revo stage 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZ00O7sLhM

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/382414-remap-2015-vrs-petrol/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peter-B said:

Induction kits seem to be hugely expensive for this model, am I missing something? 

Nope they are all very expensive. Best watching out for a used one!

• Like 1

I only want a bit more noise from the thing, the false engine note pumped into the cabin doesn't really do it for me. I realise that the standard intake system is good for up to 300bhp, it's just that little bit of extra noise I'd want from an aftermarket system. Not sure £350 is value for money in that department :(

Definitely a lot of money for an aftermarket air intake, £300.00 upwards :blink:

I suppose if it is possible with a custom exhaust is to leave the actual original exhaust pipework underneath the vehicle in place (oem size) & just change the rear back boxes to smaller ones so you can achieve that exhaust noise/note, basically just have an exhaust place install 2 new smaller back boxes but that is if the noise restriction is from the big existing (oem) back boxes & not from the actual exhaust pipework underneath! or if there is a silencer else where under the vehicle?

A friend of mine has a BMW 6:45 & he kept the original oem exhaust size pipework underneath the car & just had his back boxes replaced with custom tail pipes (custom made) & that car sounds like proper beast, cost around £450 at the time (6 years ago) but does sound like a full complete exhaust change.

Has anyone had any experience with R-Tech? I'd heard of them from back in my Renaultsport owner days, but didn't know they mapped VAG cars too.

Very interested in the fact they offer custom maps ie rolling roaded for less than Revo, Shark etc.

Plus they're only down the road from me in Hinckley.

On 25/01/2017 at 21:59, Peter-B said:

Induction kits seem to be hugely expensive for this model, am I missing something? 

Turbotechnics large bore hose for the MQB and a drop in filter is what seems to make more difference than any air intake. There's other brands as well, but on several forums (golf GTI and R owners, Audi, seat) they all prefer the TT hose. 

I'll bite the bullet in a week or so and will post an update in my black Octy project thread.

I got a stage 1 with BMC CDA and it has made almost no difference. The stock setup is from an air intake perspective more than enough for stage 1. 

Loads of people warned about it, and I personally didn't listen and have learned a lesson. It makes great noise but almost no performance gains.

Good luck with your pick.

Oh, one last thing. Shark guys made my stage 1 and I'm more than happy.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 23:34, Peter-B said:

I only want a bit more noise from the thing, the false engine note pumped into the cabin doesn't really do it for me. I realise that the standard intake system is good for up to 300bhp, it's just that little bit of extra noise I'd want from an aftermarket system. Not sure £350 is value for money in that department :(

If noise is what your after, I got a 3 month old BMC CDA that I can sell for half the price from new. PM me and I'll send the link to the eBay listing where I got loads of pictures of the installation and other data.

Also when I did my stage 1 the chaps at shark removed the annoying fake sound. Second best thing I did for enjoying the drives

Edited by Magget

I've only had experience of a remap on my old car (Scirocco) from 170bhp to 215.

It was faultless and went like a rocket, the lower down the range torque was great. I'm tempted by another stage 1 on the vRS which takes it to over 300 but it's a tad expensive still at the moment. £600 where I have mine done. :(

37 minutes ago, VRS230 said:

I've only had experience of a remap on my old car (Scirocco) from 170bhp to 215.

It was faultless and went like a rocket, the lower down the range torque was great. I'm tempted by another stage 1 on the vRS which takes it to over 300 but it's a tad expensive still at the moment. £600 where I have mine done. :(

I've gotten to 290. I'd like to think the turbo, and other parts may be under less stress because of it. There are other ways to make power, without going crazy on the boost.

So I picked what I thought was a more reliable option. I know that revo, Apr and possibly others get 300+ but I chose what I believed was the safer option. 

I don't however know enough about these things to claim it's safer... I just feal less paranoid this way :D

I also paid less than 600

Totally get what you mean, I was dubious at first thinking I would have to do the brakes etc as well to cope with the extra power but in reality it was smoother than before and added a lot more fun to the drive with the huge amounts of torque it had.

I'm not sure if mine now has bigger brakes anyway as standard :wondering:

So after much reading and contemplation I plumped for the DTUK plug in box accompanied by a VWR600.

Went for the box as I like the idea of being able to turn it off so my better half doesn't stuff it in a hedge.

The VWR600 is on, but then it started raining so the box will have to wait unfortunately (and until I find a jack). 

I'll let you all know how I get with them. Thanks for all your views.

I've got a few mods on my vrs estate dsg only had it about 5 months 

Full 3" milltek tbe with sports cat and non res

Vwr r600 induction kit 

Vwr turbo pipe 

Vwr muffler delete 

Vwr 90° pipe 

Dtuk box on setting 3+3 

Next on the list is better intercooler then stage 2/3 

Unsure what bhp it is but played with my mate in his 350z 

The dtuk box is a pain to fit with jacking the car up and taking the bottom tray off

I've got a few mods on my vrs estate dsg only had it about 5 months 

Full 3" milltek tbe with sports cat and non res

Vwr r600 induction kit 

Vwr turbo pipe 

Vwr muffler delete 

Vwr 90° pipe 

Dtuk box on setting 3+3 

Next on the list is better intercooler then stage 2/3 

Unsure what bhp it is but played with my mate in his 350z 

The dtuk box is a pain to fit with jacking the car up and taking the bottom tray off