2016 vRS TSI remap from Oscarli with Data logs and 0-60 runs

Hi all

Just wanted to share my feedback on the new remap I had this week from the guys at Oscarli.

I did have a FSR+ box from DTUK which did give a good improvement on power, but I wanted everything that the engine had to give.

Car is a 2016MY Octavia vRS TSI DSG running on 97 RON, this has the latest ECU encryption which wasn't an issue.  Car was mapped through the OBD port. 

They are also looking at creating a custom DSG remap for me to improve the woeful shift points that "D" gives you (changes at 1800rpm).  "S" mode for every day road use is also completely useless as it just revs the engine unnecessarily and burns through fuel.

Anyways, after the REMAP I took some boost and A/F ratio logs to see how the map was doing.  The standard setup runs surprisingly close to 14.7:1 under full throttle, as you can see there is a vast improvement on that with the new map (12:1).

The boost pressure is now also much more stable during the pull, both these equate to a faster pull though the gear.  Boost peaks at 21.4PSI at just over 3100rpm and finished at 15.6PSI at 6637RPM

Oscarli%20vs%20Stock_zpsezkc5ixe.jpg

I don't normally do the traffic light grandprix but I thought I'd try it to see what I could get.  I set the data logger to record both engine speed and vehicle speed, target is 0-60mph (0-96.6kph).  I was amazed at the times!!!!!!  Although its not hard to see why, the engine pulls extremely well all the way through to redline (before it ran out of power around 600rpm to RED).

The guys at Oscarli estimate its around 300bhp - I will get it RR'd once I have a new intake (when funds allow).  I'm looking forward to the DSG REMAP to make the car much more useable in day to day driving.

Test conditions were flat road, warm tyres, low (ish) fuel level, 97 RON fuel.

0-60%20runs_zpsvxy5ffmw.jpg

Edited by xpower
  • Like 4

Having it in D has absolutely nothing to do with the shift points.

I only drive mine in D, and the shift points completely depend on how hard you're accelerating...no software change will affect that. The only thing DSG software changes do generally is to stop the auto shift up, and enable changing down when the driver wants to.

I have a few colleagues who know the guys there quite well, and they had nothing but praise.

I also am led to believe that they do (or used to) write some of the map files for the likes of APR and REVO.

I think that standard cost is £350.

If your interested then just drop them a line or email - they are friendly.

Ps I hate the way that even though you disable Traction control it doesn't turn off completely.

You can see it killing the power about 1/2 way through 1st gear - it really holds it back.

If this was COMPLETELY off I could regulate the throttle instead and shave another 0.1 / 0.2 off that time.

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Could you tell me what the cost was for stage 1 and why you chose to go with Oscarli

Oscarli might not be the first name that pops up on a Google search regarding remapping but they're behind some of the best software around and one of the few companies that write everything themselves.

• Like 1

Hi all

Anyways, after the REMAP I took some boost and A/F ratio logs to see how the map was doing.  The standard setup runs surprisingly close to 14.7:1 under full throttle, as you can see there is a vast improvement on that with the new map (12:1).

I'm not dissing the results but the perfect air fuel ratio is 14.7:1 are you sure you've written your post the right way as 12:1 is worse and running slightly rich.

Oscarli also need to work on their website. It doesn't promote them very well.

I'm not dissing the results but the perfect air fuel ratio is 14.7:1 are you sure you've written your post the right way as 12:1 is worse and running slightly rich.

It's incredibly rare for an engine to actually achieve the perfect stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, yes that's ideal but not always achievable in real terms.

Oscarli have only been offering their services to the public for a short period of time, prior to that it was trade only and required no real public facing platform.

Usually when someone is enquiring about what Oscarli offers they already tend to have a good idea of what's on offer having been given the "speil" by whoever puts you onto them.

I think Richard (the owner) prefers word of mouth advertising rather than having an elaborate website that promises the world yet gives no real experience, like 90% of other companies claiming to offer a similar product.

• Like 2

14.7:1 is perfect for normal running but is not perfect for power & torque.

Also the leaner the mixture the hotter the cylinder temps. The excess fuel also cools the cylinder slightly.

6 AFR - Rich Burn Limit (engine fully warm)

9 AFR - Black Smoke | Low Power

11.5 AFR - Best Rich Torque at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

12.2 AFR - Safe Best Power at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

13.3 AFR - Lean Best Torque

14.6 AFR - Stoichimometirc Air/Fuel Ratio Value (Stoich)

15.5 AFR - Lean Cruise

16.5 AFR - Usual Best Economy

18 AFR - Carbureted Lean Burn Limit

22+ AFR - EEC / EFI Lean Burn Limit

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Having it in D has absolutely nothing to do with the shift points.

I only drive mine in D, and the shift points completely depend on how hard you're accelerating...no software change will affect that. The only thing DSG software changes do generally is to stop the auto shift up, and enable changing down when the driver wants to.

Interesting. Up to a month ago I would have totally agreed with you, 'cos that how my old cars behave, shifting as & when I think they should + very responsive to the throttle-pedal.

But, the new Golf is very different, shifting up & down much later than I'd like, & with almost no reaction the the pedal.

OK, the paddles work so I can intervene when I see fit, but it's not what I had expected. 

Maybe it's the low mileage so far, (830 'ish) & I've followed VW's running instructions, or perhaps I should find a way to reduce the throttle pedal travel, 'co the 1st inch or doesn't do very much!

Right now, we seem to be leaving a brand new Golf R in the garage & choosing to trundle around in a Superb, & that's not what we expected to be doing! 

DC

Interesting. Up to a month ago I would have totally agreed with you, 'cos that how my old cars behave, shifting as & when I think they should + very responsive to the throttle-pedal.

But, the new Golf is very different, shifting up & down much later than I'd like, & with almost no reaction the the pedal.

OK, the paddles work so I can intervene when I see fit, but it's not what I had expected.

Maybe it's the low mileage so far, (830 'ish) & I've followed VW's running instructions, or perhaps I should find a way to reduce the throttle pedal travel, 'co the 1st inch or doesn't do very much!

Right now, we seem to be leaving a brand new Golf R in the garage & choosing to trundle around in a Superb, & that's not what we expected to be doing!

DC

Would you like some help? I could come round and run it in for you?

• Like 1

The DSG does shift dependant on throttle input / load etc but is hard coded to shift at a minimum RPM.

If your are doing light / medium throttle in second, it will shift to 3rd at 1800RPM (minimum shift point). This takes you into 3rd at 12/1300 rpm - well below the initial torque point of the engine.

I want the minimum shift point to be set at 2400RPM (not for every gear) so the shift into the next gear is around 1800RPM - much better for normal driving.

Of course if you gas the pedal harder it may not shift until 4000rpm but it will ALWAYS wait until 2400rpm.

The beauty is it may be able to programmed to suit my requirements, and it's my car after all.

It's like having a suit Taylor fitted.

perhaps I should find a way to reduce the throttle pedal travel, 'co the 1st inch or doesn't do very much!

DC

I'm sure I can help you with that - PM me :-)

They sound like the ones for me then but still worried about the warranty. How many miles have you done prior to the remap

Ive done 5000 now, they will put it back for you before any warranty work - i also believe they may be able to reset the flash counter as well so it doesn't look like it's been tampered with.

Best to check with them although it's not a GUARANTEE and nor do they claim it.

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

Glad to see Richard is still about doing his magic. Some of the old timers on here will know some of Richards handy work.

Xpower, would you mind sending me your logs? I'm keen to see this stuff.

Edited by faboka vrs
  • Like 1

Glad to see Richard is still about doing his magic. Some of the old timers on here will know some of Richards handy work.

Xpower, would you mind sending me your logs? I'm keen to see this stuff.

Unfortunately the logs are in an encrypted format which can only be opened in the diagnsotics tool and not excel or similar (they also can't be exported)

Unless you have a genuine Delphi DS in which case you can open them no issue.

sorry

Ive done 5000 now, they will put it back for you before any warranty work - i also believe they may be able to reset the flash counter as well so it doesn't look like it's been tampered with.

Best to check with them although it's not a GUARANTEE and nor do they claim it.

It doesn't matter anymore if it's flashed back and has the counters reset, there's a particular string of code that changes alphanumeric values each time the ecu is manipulated and the same value cannot be re entered, once a comparison is made from what it left the factory with or what the value was after the last software update it can be determined if the ecu has been remapped and there's the possibility of TD1 status being applied.

Out of interest what about if it was flashed using Skoda's tool (let's say for the latest update) using a J2534 device.

That way the latest flash was done with the OE software.

I've accepted that the warranty may be void, but food for thought.……

The diagnostic interface, be it genuine or generic passthru still requires ODIS software permissions, authentic user info and access to the central server to install the latest flash data.

During the initial read process all the data it needs is gathered (which is where data string alteration is detected).

If any of the modules are then flashed the process is completely recorded and updated.

I don't believe there would be a way of flashing software not developed by skoda using a passthru device and odis if that's what you mean?

It's very few and far between that dealers will shop you in intentionally, it's bad for them from a business point of view but what skoda do at their end is a different story.

I don't believe there would be a way of flashing software not developed by skoda using a passthru device and odis if that's what you mean?

Ah, I didn't think about the initial read on the main server, I did mean what your originally said flashing through ODIS.

Thanks

It's changed the game now, very sneaky from the VW AG software development team but there's always someone smarter, flashtec for example.

First it was intentionl checksum curve balls then flash counters, then tricore locked ecus with rolling codes and now this recorded coding string.

Sure the ecu lockout device has been defeated making OBD flashing common place but if the evidence can't be hidden during the warranty period then it's always a risk.

• 2 months later...

Xpower I'm in line for a remap some time soon & very impressed with your results :) But some stories I've heard about a remap on the 2.0TSI is that you should also change the oil grade from quantum III 5w-30w or castrol To quantum platinum 5w-40w? Is this something you have heard of or personally done!

Would be an interesting factor to know, especially as we all like to look after our cars.

Edited by BATVANVRS

Xpower I'm in line for a remap some time soon & very impressed with your results :) But some stories I've heard about a remap on the 2.0TSI is that you should also change the oil grade from quantum III 5w-30w or castrol To quantum platinum 5w-40w? Is this something you have heard of or personally done!

Would be an interesting factor to know, especially as we all like to look after our cars.

It's not something I have ever heard of, mines running the standard oil.

I just ensure I have mechanical sympathy, no heavy load / excessive RPM when cold etc.

Ive almost finished my ITG install, I'm making an oversized custom airbox which attaches to the OE scoop on the grille (which I've also modified)

Its much more responsive with the ITG, the custom air box will ensure the coldest air goes through the intake.

• Like 2