Correct Brake Disk Size - 2013 1.6 TDI

Hi,

Saw a few posts on this, but none specific to the 1.6 TDI.  I need to replace the front discs on my wife's car.  It doesn't have Greenline badges, but I'm pretty sure it is a Greenline.  When I look at the various parts sites, I get the option of two sizes - 288mm diameter and 312mm.  Does anyone know which is correct?  The car has 16" wheels if that helps.

This is what the workshop manual says about the 1.6 TDI.  The fact that I'm not 100% sure it's a Greenline doesn't help.

Capture.PNG

345 mm is for the 3.6 petrol model - they won't even fit inside a 16 " wheel.

If you have the full build sheet for your car it will list the PR code for the brakes installed on your vehicle which you can cross reference with parts catalogues. A friendly dealer should be able to give you this information.

Otherwise, as Offski says, you can pop off a wheel and measure it.

My 2011 Greenline Estate has 312's in the front and 272's in the back. According to the Brembo Parts catalogue, all 1.6's have 312's in the front, but there are three sizes for the rear (256, 272 and 282).

http://bremboparts.com/europe/en/catalogue/skoda-superb-estate-3t5-1-6-tdi/000006339-1

Pretty sure your front discs are also 312 but if you're planning to change the rear ones, the easiest way to check which brakes you have is to check the chassis sticker. I had to open the boot, hook the soft floor cover up out of the way and raise out the foam piece (that either holds the spare wheel or tire weld kit). The sticker was on the left side of the visible chassis.

The sticker looks something like this:

http://dataton.net/vw/06GTI-rear-optionCode_Label/06GTI-rear-optionCodeLabel.jpg

You can either write up all of the option codes and use a decoder site like this one (http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx) or just look for either 1KF, 1KS or 1KJ.

Thanks guys.  The only way to be sure is to pop the wheel off tonight.  Don't want the hassle of buying online and having to return them because they're wrong.

TLV - my money is on 312's and will confirm that tonight.

It seems like only the 1.4 petrol has the 288 fronts. 345's are definitely only for the 3.6. I couldn't justify the effort for taking a wheel off because the difference between 288 and 312 is pretty noticeable. I was satisfied with my tape measuring skills, but each to their own.

• Like 1

They were 312's.  I could see them clearly behind the wheels so was handy enough to estimate the diameter without taking the wheel off.  Ordered a pair of ATE discs for €96 with free delivery from Mister-Auto.  Not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, now in the middle of the job.  Does the centre cv/joint/axel bolt need to come off to get the brake disc off?  There's bugger all in the manual regarding discs believe it or not.  If so, I need a trip to Halfords to get what looks like a 25mm to fit.

Ok problem solved, you don't need to remove the hub bolt, but they were pretty welded onto the hub.  A few taps of the Irish screwdriver sorted it :biggrin:

Edited by Tropheus