Which fuel? 95 or 98?

Hi people!

I soon get a new Superb with the engine 2.0l 220 hp. Here in Norway we have a choice of either 95 or 98. Will I notice any difference between 95 and 98 with this engine, or is it just the same what I fill? 98 costs in Norway 0.10 GBP more than 95 per liter. It is well worth the money? What about the effect and consumption of these fuel types? :) Any experiences? 

I think Esso have 98, and then you have Shell V-Power Nitro+ 98. Any difference between them? (I know you have Shell fuel, but I'm not shure if you have Esso? If you don't, I understand it could be difficult to answer on this one...):laugh:

Thanks for all thoughts on this one :)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

You are best placed to try out and see if you are aware of more efficient running or better economy or you think performs better,

but almost certainly your car will love the Super Unleaded rather than fuel to the minimum requirement.

In the UK the choice is 95 Unleaded or the Super Unleaded is 97 Octane other than Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro + 

or Costco Super unleaded. (Maybe some other independents have 99 ron minimum)

We have 95 and 98 Octane and worked out that 95 is more then good enough.

Same engine then yours.

95 will give you ample power, smooth running engine and 900km ~ 1000km+ per tank, depending on what type of driving done at the time, i.e Urban or long distance highway.

Tesco Momentum 99 for the win....

My 280 runs much better on 99 than it does on the normal 97 and even better on Aral Ultimate Race 100 when I'm in Europe :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Esso is just Tesco fuel anyway, no? 

My Octy vRS ran much better on 99 than 95, in every respect.  Smoother and stronger acceleration and better consumption.  When I used 95 the engine felt really rough at start up and sounded like a Tdi PD engine.

I now have a diesel and the BP Ultimate is well worth using over the standard derv.  It costs me a few more quid to fill a tank but it's cost neutral as I get 20-30 miles more per tank full and with 232ps on tap courtesy of REVO the engine also performs much better too.  

I think any 'premium' fuel is worth the extra based on my experiences, driving style, etc.  That and an oil change every 10K has served me well in many thousands of miles. 

I have owned several cars in the past where the manufacturer (including VAG) recommended 97 or 98 octane for the best performance but all stated it was perfectly OK to use 95 octane if you could accept the loss of performance.

But I can honestly say that in the real world I have never noticed any performance or economy difference plus they all ran perfectly smoothly and started fine on 95 octane.

Back about 15 years ago when Shell introduced their supa dupa petrol I decided to try it over 3 tank fulls to see if it gave the promised economy improvement. After the first tank full all seemed OK but during the 2nd tank full it appeared to be running a bit "off". On the 3rd tank full it became so bad I was worried but when I took out the plugs it was easy to see why, they were black. Cleaned them and refitted and filled tank with 95 octane at Asda. Ran sweet as ever, never tempted to try again. A few months later a mate of mine began to tell the story of how he had tried supa dupa Shell and had suffered bad running which in his case resulted in a garage visit with the resultant big bill. They fitted new plugs and told him not to use Shell high octane again.

My car was a 2 litre 16 valve Ford Zetec in a Mondeo, his was a Vauxhall 2 litre 16 valve in an Astra so not juts one brand of car plus the garages we bought from were miles apart and several months apart.

So I will use supermarket petrol in the Superb and like the Leon TSi and it will be 95 octane.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent

http://greenergy.co.uk

In the UK ESSO Fuel or ESSO Super Unleaded is not just Tesco Fuel or Tesco Momentum 99.

But GREENERGY does Produce TESCO MOMENTUM 99 & also in areas of the UK Produce and supply ESSO Fuels to ESSO Specification.

PS

As to 'Premium Fuel', in the UK Diesel with a higher Cetane might be called 'Premium' and Higher Octane Petrol Fuels are called what they are called. (Super Unleaded.)

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421463-where-do-you-fill-up-supermarket-fuel-vs-brand-name-premium

(a post i made near the end of the thread has links to the ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC site that used to get pulled down.

*31 years ago now from Formula Shell and that engine failure issues, how time passes.*

another link there about 'Winter Gasoline' coming into the UK in 2012. It is in UK Filling Stations around Oct - March every year,

Petrol & Diesel, sometimes earlier in the North than further south.)

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, Csory said:

Tank lid of my 220TSI says min 95 unleaded.

Thanks! :) I can then find this in the Superb owner's manual: 

"■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of min. 95 RON, the use of petrol with a higher octane number than 95 RON can increase the power and reduce fuel consumption."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Core2Duo said:

"■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of min. 95 RON, the use of petrol with a higher octane number than 95 RON can increase the power and reduce fuel consumption."

Only if the engine is set up to benefit from the higher octane. If the engine is set up at the factory to use 95 octane you will gain no benefit whatsoever by using the more expensive stuff.

Your 1.4 TSI 140ps minimum has a ECU that will know if there is 97,99, 100-102 octane. 

If you are not aware of any benefit then no matter, but for an extra 5 pence a litre or £3 extra on a tank fill with 99 ron Momentum it is surely worth a try.

You might not get 2 mpg improvement maybe just the spark plugs will perform better longer or you just produce less emissions.

10 hours ago, skidpan said:

Only if the engine is set up to benefit from the higher octane. If the engine is set up at the factory to use 95 octane you will gain no benefit whatsoever by using the more expensive stuff.

Which clearly it is, as it says so right there in the manual. ;)

@Core2Duo I also have the 2.0 TSI 220ps and recommend 98+ RON fuel every time. Generally speaking the biggest advantage of using an appropriately high octane is seen at the top end of the engine (i.e. at high revs and/or high load), especially in warmer weather. However, higher octane fuel (in this case 98+ RON) will give stronger low down power/grunt and better fuel consumption. On 95 RON I have found that the power is greatly lacking below 1,500rpm when peak torque arrives from the turbo spooling up. On 99 RON however the car is much more willing to pull hard from low down, the DSG selects higher gears sooner (cruising at 1,100rpm instead of around 1,500rpm at the same speed) and the power is much more linear. You will also find the top end much more lively and responsive.

The few occasions I have run it on 95 (fuel in the tank on delivery, an un-invited fill up by the garage and then a trial of Shell 95) it has been perfectly adequate for gently driving around town - if you forgive the lack of low down pull. As soon as you push it, however, the difference is quite plain in my experience. For the insignificant extra cost, much of which you recover in better economy, it's a no brainer.

Trust me, I have tried higher Octane stuff in several cars and I can feel no difference and I have noticed no major measurable difference in fuel economy but that was only over one fill up. If there was a noticeable improvement to the way the car drive I would pay the extra, I buy genuine All Bran because I can tell the difference so same with fuel.

Had a Golf GTi and on the flap it said something like 98 Octane but OK to use 95 but expect mpg and performance drop. Had that car for 7 1/2 years and 113,000 miles. Tried 98 octane stuff several time and never felt it was worth using it.

My track car uses 95 octane. Using 98 would make no difference other than to my pocket. Its been mapped to use 95 octane since I do not want to be out in the sticks unable to get 98 octane plus there have been numerous reports that the actual octane figure for the 98 stuff can be much lower if its been in the garages tanks a while. At least with 95 octane supermarket stuff you know its fresh.

But others view it differently and if they think its better it must be.

• Like 1

You have all the experience then and if you feel or notice no difference with 99 ron minimum in a 1.4 TSI then no point using it.

I can assure you that if you were to put in 102 ron you will notice a difference for certain.

I have had 1.4TSI 150ps standard and mapped on the Dyno and run them on 99 & 102 and seen the difference over 95ron.

(not that expensive for special occasions, just think of it as getting half the MPG you usually get...)

Hyperflo 250 is lovely stuff in a TSI.

http://vitalequipment.co.uk/carless-hiperflo-12-c.asp

PS

you will not get 98 octane in the sticks or in the cities in the UK.

Maybe the 97ron minimum is a higher octane but it is not sold as that. BP used to do 98ron.

(Also 102ron for a while at pumps near tracks)

Super Unleaded is 97ron in the UK unless you are buying the 99 octane.

Edited by Offski

Then I decide too use Esso Supreme 98 after reading all your meanings. :)

I'm also sure as some of you guys mentions, that it should stand 98 (95) in the tank lid, but Skoda have written minimum 95 just too take it "the easy way" over their customers. 

And another thing, I heard it was nothing of the bioethanol (E5) in the 98, as it is in the 95, is that right? If it's true, then that is reason enough to buy 98 then... :D

Edited by Core2Duo
  • Like 1

Over 3 years using super unleaded would probably cost me an extra £150, less if the car did more MPG. That is peanuts compared to the total ownership cost over 3 years.

But if it makes no difference its money wasted.

There are many things I could spend £150 on and enjoy far more than spending 3 years pretending supa dupa petrol makes my car better.

11 hours ago, Core2Duo said:

I'm also sure as some of you guys mentions, that it should stand 98 (95) in the tank lid, but Skoda have written minimum 95 just too take it "the easy way" over their customers.

And that's what it says in tank lid for us with the 280 version :)

So, the Skoda factory does recommend the 98 octane fuel for it, even though when I challenged a mechanic about the fact when picking up the car, he stated that he would recommend 95.

Direct from SUK today, with their typical useless politicians' answers:

The engine is equipped with a multitude of sensors and actuators which work in conjunction with the engine management system to monitor and adjust accordingly.  This ensures that the engine runs at its optimum, whethere its 98 or 95 RON fuel is being used.

• Like 1