Back in the Yeti fold after 5 years!

SimonVespa

We'll,  the title says it all really. After getting rid of my original Yeti and flirting with a SMAX and a Duster I plumped for a Qashqai Teckna last year..... big mistake! Lured by lots of gadgets I'd never use we didn't get on with the car from day one. And then when we found that the front tyres had about 2000 miles left in them and they were £220 a pop it was time to think about bailing. The wife never really liked the driving position and on more than one occasion we had said how we preferred the Yeti. Although a smaller car the Yeti seems to sit you higher with a better view of the road. The QQ was just too car like for us. And the quality of the Yeti seems much better as well... good solid door thunks! 

So today it was off down the dealers and a deal was struck on a new Outdoor SE L Drive in Business Grey. The car is in dealer stock so should be ready in a couple of weeks. Gone for the 1.2 DSG this time. Was a bit nervous after having diesels for so long but the test drive was great. So smooth and plenty of punch for the mostly town driving we tend to do now.

Pics to follow when we pick her up!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

Welcome back but unless you've been following the forum there are going to be a few old faces that you will miss. Like you I'd had diesel for years and I still recall some hesitation when I ordered my 1.2 TSI four years ago but I've never regretted it. And from posts on the forum it seems the latest 1.2 engine is even better. I was interested in your comment about the gadgets - the Yeti did seem a bit lightweight on these compared to the competition but after nearly 4 years of driving everything it's got I think I use and I'm not conscious of missing anything useful so maybe Skoda got it right - except the 6 CD player which has spent nearly all its life empty and the money would have been better put towards making the electric driver's seat standard but that's not a lot to complain about after this length of time.

16 minutes ago, Paul52 said:

Welcome back but unless you've been following the forum there are going to be a few old faces that you will miss. Like you I'd had diesel for years and I still recall some hesitation when I ordered my 1.2 TSI four years ago but I've never regretted it. And from posts on the forum it seems the latest 1.2 engine is even better. I was interested in your comment about the gadgets - the Yeti did seem a bit lightweight on these compared to the competition but after nearly 4 years of driving everything it's got I think I use and I'm not conscious of missing anything useful so maybe Skoda got it right - except the 6 CD player which has spent nearly all its life empty and the money would have been better put towards making the electric driver's seat standard but that's not a lot to complain about after this length of time.

Cheers! I think the only thing I might miss is the cameras, the overhead view is great for parking. Apart from that the Yeti now has the main things we want. The QQ claimed to have loads of 'stuff' that improved handling. But when your on 19 inch wheels with 40 profile tyres it's always going to be crashy.

If I had the choice I would swap the 17s out on the Yeti for the 16s. I would rather have more tyre than alloy. A friend of ours refurbishes wheels and says most of his work comes from QQ wheels! It didn't take long for ours to find the kerb. I'm hoping the extra sidewall on the Yeti tyres keep them fresher for longer!

Simon

15 hours ago, SimonVespa said:

Cheers! I think the only thing I might miss is the cameras, the overhead view is great for parking. Apart from that the Yeti now has the main things we want. The QQ claimed to have loads of 'stuff' that improved handling. But when your on 19 inch wheels with 40 profile tyres it's always going to be crashy.

If I had the choice I would swap the 17s out on the Yeti for the 16s. I would rather have more tyre than alloy. A friend of ours refurbishes wheels and says most of his work comes from QQ wheels! It didn't take long for ours to find the kerb. I'm hoping the extra sidewall on the Yeti tyres keep them fresher for longer!

Simon

Looks like you should be a member of the 16" wheels club! Not too many of us left but I have just ordered a new 1.2 SE L DSG with a few extras - including a rear view camera - and 16" wheels with 215 60 R16 tyres, should get it by the end of March before the new VED rates come into force. This will replace my 2012 Yeti also ordered with 16" wheels. 16" wheels definitely provide a smoother more refined drive and, although many say 17" wheels provide better road holding/feel in my opinion it is a very, very small price to pay for the comfort offered by 16" wheels. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Expatman said:

Looks like you should be a member of the 16" wheels club! Not too many of us left but I have just ordered a new 1.2 SE L DSG with a few extras - including a rear view camera - and 16" wheels with 215 60 R16 tyres, should get it by the end of March before the new VED rates come into force. This will replace my 2012 Yeti also ordered with 16" wheels. 16" wheels definitely provide a smoother more refined drive and, although many say 17" wheels provide better road holding/feel in my opinion it is a very, very small price to pay for the comfort offered by 16" wheels. 

Had our L&K 150 with 17'' wheels for 2 weeks now. I cannot tell the difference between it and our 2011 SE on 16'' wheels. Perhaps I'm less sensitive than others or our road surfaces are better. Seems to be less road noise too.

Bill

12 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

Had our L&K 150 with 17'' wheels for 2 weeks now. I cannot tell the difference between it and our 2011 SE on 16'' wheels. Perhaps I'm less sensitive than others or our road surfaces are better. Seems to be less road noise too.

Bill

I guess everyone's rear sensitivity is different. I really noticed the difference when I tried a new Yeti with 17" wheels so chose to specify 16" ones. Did you order the SE with 16" wheels, wondered how you got it. I found that road noise is very dependent on type of tyres, Goodyear Efficientgrips were much quieter than OE Cinturato's.

My concern is more about kerbing rather than comfort! For some reason the QQ seems to hunt out kerbs. Previous cars have never really suffered.

As my Yeti is pre-built I will need to stick with 17s and just keep my fingers crossed! At least they are not Diamond Cut which opens up another whole can of worms!

Thanks

S

13 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

....our 2011 SE on 16'' wheels.....

41 minutes ago, Expatman said:

....Did you order the SE with 16" wheels, wondered how you got it....

Have we an unknown UK16"SpecialBuild founder member here :wondering:

I've just paid the deposit on a new Yeti Outdoor SE L 2.0 TDI SCR 150 PS 4x4 to replace my 9 year old Roomster Sprout.

Interestingly, it appears to be shod with Michelin tyres, although the spacesaver spare is a Conti.

It has 17" wheels.

Just waiting to have a towbar fitted then I can take delivery!

2 hours ago, Brijo said:

We need to know from lawnmowerman. Was he a member of the 16"ers? and if he was, was it by special build?

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

We need to know from lawnmowerman. Was he a member of the 16"ers? and if he was, was it by special build?

I was rather preoccupied last November and didn't do the 'formal' (!) annual membership survey.  I think there are possibly two-and-a-bit known and qualified members left - Expatman (only just), Paul52 and myself.  When we've heard from Lawnmowerman I'll post a check thread.

17 minutes ago, Brijo said:

I was rather preoccupied last November and didn't do the 'formal' (!) annual membership survey.  I think there are possibly two-and-a-bit known and qualified members left - Expatman (only just), Paul52 and myself.  When we've heard from Lawnmowerman I'll post a check thread.

Not "only just!" as it looks like I might be the last to get a SpecialBuild when my SE L Drive is built week 8 with 16" wheels, and I should take delivery before the end of March. That means I will have had two SpecialBuilds - first 2012, second 2017. Look forward to finding out how many of us 16"ers are left. Wonder what happened to those sold on?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Expatman said:

I guess everyone's rear sensitivity is different. I really noticed the difference when I tried a new Yeti with 17" wheels so chose to specify 16" ones. Did you order the SE with 16" wheels, wondered how you got it. I found that road noise is very dependent on type of tyres, Goodyear Efficientgrips were much quieter than OE Cinturato's.

9 hours ago, Brijo said:

'Fraid not guys. it was a 2011 SE that I bought two and a bit years ago - I suppose they were original spec. then? It was quite well specced with heated seats, heated front screen, rough road pack and detachable towbar. 

Nearing six years old and 50,000 miles I reckoned it was time for a change so thought I would treat myself with a L&K 150hp 4x4. Saved a hill of money as it was an ex-Skoda vehicle six months old and 7k miles.

Loving the extra 40 bhp and the lamps are exceptional. All in all an excellent deal. Very pleased.

Bill ;) 

16 hours ago, Expatman said:

Not "only just!" as it looks like I might be the last to get a SpecialBuild when my SE L Drive is built week 8 with 16" wheels, and I should take delivery before the end of March. That means I will have had two SpecialBuilds - first 2012, second 2017. Look forward to finding out how many of us 16"ers are left. Wonder what happened to those sold on?

Sorry, Expatman - I'd missed that your order had gone in.  Delighted! 

11 hours ago, lawnmowerman said:

'Fraid not guys. it was a 2011 SE that I bought two and a bit years ago - I suppose they were original spec. then? It was quite well specced with heated seats, heated front screen, rough road pack and detachable towbar....

Interesting...  I still have access to the spreadsheet created by Vegit8 (one of us, though currently elsewhere) when the Club was coming into existence.  It tracks Briskoda members orders, spec's, dealers and dates.  Given some clear time today, I'll look it up and see if yours might match one of our very early members' cars; strange if it might be a UK16"SpecialBuild Yeti returning to the Club!  As a check, Bill, what's the colour? 

If we can sort that out, I'll post a membership update topic, just for the record.  Most of the ex-members have left some sort of track. 

10 hours ago, Brijo said:

Sorry, Expatman - I'd missed that your order had gone in.  Delighted! 

Interesting...  I still have access to the spreadsheet created by Vegit8 (one of us, though currently elsewhere) when the Club was coming into existence.  It tracks Briskoda members orders, spec's, dealers and dates.  Given some clear time today, I'll look it up and see if yours might match one of our very early members' cars; strange if it might be a UK16"SpecialBuild Yeti returning to the Club!  As a check, Bill, what's the colour? 

If we can sort that out, I'll post a membership update topic, just for the record.  Most of the ex-members have left some sort of track. 

It was Storm Blue.

Bill :)

10 hours ago, Brijo said:

15 minutes ago, lawnmowerman said:

It was Storm Blue....

OK, I've had a quick look.  There were a couple of SE's at possible dates but Expatman's own Lava Blue in Jan 2012 was the only near colour - blues weren't popular, it seems.  The mystery remains... 

2 hours ago, Brijo said:

OK, I've had a quick look.  There were a couple of SE's at possible dates but Expatman's own Lava Blue in Jan 2012 was the only near colour - blues weren't popular, it seems.  The mystery remains... 

Mine was registered on 9th May 2011.

Bill :)

Looks good - is that silver or one of the "greys"? Mine is being made w/c 20th Feb and Skoda(UK) are confident the dealer will get it in time for a March registration - before new VED rates come into effect. Incidentally did you notice if there was any protective film or bars on the top of the rear bumper? The image on the Configurator suggests there are silver protective 'rails', but somehow I doubt it.

It's Business Grey.. must admit I thought it was going to look more grey than it does. But once it's cleaned and polished I'm sure the colour will pop. It was noticeably darker than a silver one they had.

I could kick myself as I forgot to look at the back! I know what you mean on the configurator, it does show some sort of bumper protector. Don't think I will be over the dealers again until collection next week but will let you know then :)

4 hours ago, SimonVespa said:

It's Business Grey.. must admit I thought it was going to look more grey than it does. But once it's cleaned and polished I'm sure the colour will pop. It was noticeably darker than a silver one they had.

I could kick myself as I forgot to look at the back! I know what you mean on the configurator, it does show some sort of bumper protector. Don't think I will be over the dealers again until collection next week but will let you know then :)

Thanks, I will be interested to learn if there is any protection, somehow I doubt it! The protective film costs £41 from Skoda Dealers; fitting it I am told depends on patience and using plenty of water, with a tiny bit of washing up liquid added, as lubricant. There is a video on Youtube and I am used to applying similar film on windows so hoping it will not be too different on a bumper.

Edited by Expatman