2014 Skoda 105 diesel brakes "sticking"

Hello there

I have a 2014 Skoda Fabia Diesel 105bhp with about 37k on the clock.  I have noticed that after just a day or two sitting with the handbrake on that the brakes have become "stuck" and that it always has to come unstuck every time i use it.  This can of course happen with drum brakes if you haven't used it for a couple of weeks but seems strange when it happens in just a day.  I notice the brakes are really starting to squeal too so is it time to change them and does this have anything to do with it?

I am a pretty uninformed owner but I thought that the handbrake was always on teh rear drums and that the discs cause the squealing, am i wrong?

Usually disc do squeal but the rear brakes can also do this this is due to excess dust trapped in the drum and also weak hold down pins really you need someone to take a look for you to see what is happening, I had this fault on my Fabia and it turned out to be the one handbrake cable rusty where it goes inside drum and causing the handbrake shoe not to fully release when I took it all apart the lever on the brake shoe was partially seized as well so replaced the shoes and brake cables

So does your Diesel have Drums or Discs on the rear.

Time to have the drums off and inspected if you have those, and maintenance done.

Once moisture is in or brake dust or both then sticking is common, sometimes just after washing.

(then there is sometime a broken spring, for a while it was quite a common complaint as Skoda removed from the Service Schedule 

removing the rear drums at Major Servicing it went undiscovered quite often.)

Brakes need servicing and maintenance and that does not always mean new pads or discs, maybe inspection, stripping and the correct lubrication.

If the disc brakes are all good the Copper Grease applied to the rear of the pads may need re-applied, or the slide pins, cleaned etc.

Handbrake checked, cable etc.

Brake Fluid change done if required. (first @ 3 years then each 2.)

Best have the brakes checked by a competent mechanic and do not just get upsold with new discs and pads if not required.

Edited by Offski

Thanks to you both for these replies.  I am not a competent mechanic so i guess i need to take it somewhere to be checked.  My one thought is that it is still just within warranty, would this sort of thing be covered at all?  I also have an issue with the coolant level suddenly dropping so would have two things to "complain" about.

1 hour ago, Offski said:

So does your Diesel have Drums or Discs on the rear.

Time to have the drums off and inspected if you have those, and maintenance done.

Once moisture is in or brake dust or both then sticking is common, sometimes just after washing.

(then there is sometime a broken spring, for a while it was quite a common complaint as Skoda removed from the Service Schedule 

removing the rear drums at Major Servicing it went undiscovered quite often.)

Brakes need servicing and maintenance and that does not always mean new pads or discs, maybe inspection, stripping and the correct lubrication.

If the disc brakes are all good the Copper Grease applied to the rear of the pads may need re-applied, or the slide pins, cleaned etc.

Handbrake checked, cable etc.

Brake Fluid change done if required. (first @ 3 years then each 2.)

Best have the brakes checked by a competent mechanic and do not just get upsold with new discs and pads if not required.

Sorry discs on front, drums at the rear.

3 hours ago, Offski said:

& have the rear wheels been off anytime to your knowledge & then the drums removed and servicing done?

To my knowledge no.  We had a major service done in November but I think someone mentioned that the brakes had been removed from the checklist so I don't think so.

8 hours ago, xman said:

Your brakes need to be stripped and cleaned. Should be done at a major service but many dealers don't bother. Remind them however its part of the Skoda requirement for a major service.

That makes sense.  I used it last night and it made an almighty bang as the rear brakes "unlocked".  The issue is that I took it to a non Skoda garage for a service who did use genuine parts etc. but probably means i have no recourse right?  Should i take it back to them or to Skoda and try and get it on the warranty?

Just now, xman said:

Brakes are not covered under warranty (after 6000 miles/3 months iirc)

Cool thanks for letting me know.

Out of interest I had an issue that saw the coolant massively drop for no obvious reason, would this be covered under Warranty or at least be check-able by them under warranty?

1 hour ago, klang180 said:

Out of interest I had an issue that saw the coolant massively drop for no obvious reason, would this be covered under Warranty or at least be check-able by them under warranty?

Yes. Contact your skoda dealer, explain the problem and ask if they will look at it under warranty.

I read the coolant issue post.

You do not need to fill to MAX, if you do the level might well drop to between MIN & MAX once the coolant has been hot enough and self bleed.

If the was a 'Fill to this level'  there would be a 'FILL TO THIS LEVEL'  on the bottle.

So now you need to be sure the level stays where it should, not keeping dropping, 

you also want to check the Strength of the Ration to know you have the Anti Freeze & Summer Coolant protection, and there has not been too much H20 added now,or the wrong coolant type.

Best get the rear drums off and have maintenance carried out, and the brake fluid change done if it has not been.

52 minutes ago, Offski said:

I read the coolant issue post.

You do not need to fill to MAX, if you do the level might well drop to between MIN & MAX once the coolant has been hot enough and self bleed.

If the was a 'Fill to this level'  there would be a 'FILL TO THIS LEVEL'  on the bottle.

So now you need to be sure the level stays where it should, not keeping dropping, 

you also want to check the Strength of the Ration to know you have the Anti Freeze & Summer Coolant protection, and there has not been too much H20 added now,or the wrong coolant type.

Best get the rear drums off and have maintenance carried out, and the brake fluid change done if it has not been.

Thanks Offski i will do that.  I guess maybe i should get one of those coolant testers but of course they might pick this up in the warranty check.  Guess i'll have to get the drums off and have them seen to.

Just booked her in for a an inspection on Monday.  They said they'd treat it as a warranty issue initially and discuss if anything else was wrong, hmmmm i don;t like the sound of that.

The rear drums on my 2011 1.6tdi, although AFAIK the drums are the same across the range, have stuck badly if left for a couple of days after washing, heavy rain or snow from day one. My previous car was discs all round but back in time I don't recall the drums / handbrake any previous car sticking so badly.

The drums have been off and all cleaned out regularly.

I just put it down to different materials used on modern linings to meet environment requirements.

When likely to stick I now try to remember to leave in gear instead and make sure where the wheels are pointing just in case I turn the key without dipping the clutch.

Edited by delta925

Rear drum brake cylinders can weep. If the drums haven't been off for a while, then it may have dust build up, which mixed with brake fluid can contaminate the shoes. I've stopped using the handbrake overnight, especially at this time of year, road salt, moisture, etc. Now before the H&S brigade get going, it's on the flat, in gear. :biggrin:

I've had sticky rear drums on my Monte pretty much since I bought it just over 3 years ago! Only when they get wet, either through weather or washing. It did appear as an advisory on my MOT so I'm getting them looked at when the car is serviced at the end of this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Just an update.  Took it into Skoda for a warranty issue with coolant and asked them to take a look at it.  They said the cable needed "adjustment" and did it at the same time.  Since then it is only sticking very slightly after prolonged parking so it is a darn sight better.  The only thing i wonder is how it got miss-adjusted when no one has touched it?