Columbus Parking Sensor Lag

I've got a slightly odd grumble I'd like to resolve - it's not a major issue, but an irritation.

When I select reverse, the graphic of the rear of the car comes up on-screen as it should, beeping and representing obstacles as you'd expect.

When I move out of reverse, the screen of the columbus stays on the reversing screen with the radio volume reduced for as long as 5 or 10 seconds afterwards. This lag happens every time.

In the Yeti I was driving previously, the switch back to normal operation on the screen was pretty much instant.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas as to how I can resolve it (reboot something? I assume it gets rebooted every time the car is started and it is a consistent problem).

Mine is the same... its like it will self clear once you go above say 5mph forward...

Will try in the morning what happens once first is engaged if i dont move forward after pulling off the drive... (i have a feeling it stays muted / quiet as per the setting i have chosen)

Correct this is controlled by the vehicles speed and is perfectly normal, IIRC it’s 15KPH (about 10MPH) which is the same as when the doors lock automatically (if you have that option turned on).

Do you not have front park sensors as well?

My VRS does, behaves the same way as yours and this is how it is supposed to work: a maneuver in tight spaces involving forward and back movements involves both sets of sensors and thus as mentioned above, it only quits out automatically once you hit a certain speed in forward gear. If it stopped the second you put it in forward gear you would then have to engage the sensors again for the front sensors to be usable.

If you want to kill it faster you can always do so manually from the steering or screen?

Edited by Item

Interesting. I don't have front sensors, but the general observations about speed would make sense and match my experience. I find it quite irritating and don't really see what benefit it provides without front sensors. It wasn't the same in the Yeti, but perhaps for that model fewer versions probably have front sensors compared to the Superb.

13 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

I've got a slightly odd grumble I'd like to resolve - it's not a major issue, but an irritation.

When I select reverse, the graphic of the rear of the car comes up on-screen as it should, beeping and representing obstacles as you'd expect.

When I move out of reverse, the screen of the columbus stays on the reversing screen with the radio volume reduced for as long as 5 or 10 seconds afterwards. This lag happens every time.

In the Yeti I was driving previously, the switch back to normal operation on the screen was pretty much instant.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas as to how I can resolve it (reboot something? I assume it gets rebooted every time the car is started and it is a consistent problem).

Yes mine does that.  Only about 5 seconds though.

7 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

PS: I know you can cancel it on the screen, but didn't realise you can cancel it from the steering wheel @Item - which button?

Mine has a button with a small icon of a top down car chassis with the wheels turned slightly - this turns on/off driver aids i.e. parking.

Not 100% sure you will have it on your Superb!

Thanks @item - yes, I do have that button. I'm not sure I've ever used it! So I guess one press will switch the reversing screen back to normal if it's hanging around? That won't switch the reverse sensors 'off' though will it? I need them to check whether the backend has left the next county or not, even if they do hang around a bit longer than I might like at times... :biggrin:

10 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Thanks @item - yes, I do have that button. I'm not sure I've ever used it! So I guess one press will switch the reversing screen back to normal if it's hanging around? That won't switch the reverse sensors 'off' though will it? I need them to check whether the backend has left the next county or not, even if they do hang around a bit longer than I might like at times... :biggrin:

Yup! just engages/disengages as you like, but doesn't stop it from turning on/off automatically. I think if you have other driver aids like lane assist etc it may trigger those on/off instead if you are going fast enough, but don't quote me on that!

Edited by Item

1 hour ago, Item said:

Yup! just engages/disengages as you like, but doesn't stop it from turning on/off automatically. I think if you have other driver aids like lane assist etc it may trigger those on/off instead if you are going fast enough, but don't quote me on that!

Great, thanks. I'll give it a go and see what happens.