LATEST MAP DOWNLOAD

6 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Even using the laptop its still showing ECE 2017/2018, I'm giving up for now 

If you've downloaded the 7z file from @MartiniB's link you don't need the file from the portal!

As I said above, it's the same thing, just using a different name and compression method.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

If you've downloaded the 7z file from @MartiniB's link you don't need the file from the portal!

As I said above, it's the same thing, just using a different name and compression method.

If the file is compressed why is file manager telling me that the file size is 25,483,073 KB in size so a little over 25GB in size?

Just now, Prykey said:

If the file is compressed why is file manager telling me that the file size is 25,483,073 KB in size so a little over 25GB in size?

Coz that's the size of the compressed file - when it's extracted the data is around 30 GB!!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

Coz that's the size of the compressed file - when it's extracted the data is around 30 GB!!

Ah, so I just need to find something to unzip that file then, just found a free utility called 7Zip so I'll try that

42 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

So 7Zip has done its work and I now have this: -

image.png.44fcd60c211bf7b60b82d38d98e46e44.png

Do I just need to copy Mib1, Mib2 and metainfo2.txt onto my SD Card?

Just now, Prykey said:

So 7Zip has done its work and I now have this: -

image.png.44fcd60c211bf7b60b82d38d98e46e44.png

Do I just need to copy Mib1, Mib2 and metainfo2.txt onto my SD Card?

Yes. The md5 file is a download/extraction checksum file and not part of the actual update.

• Thanks 1

Just now, BillyJim said:

Yes. The md5 file is a download/extraction checksum file and not part of the actual update.

Thats great, thank you 

Right, I've done that and the SD Card now has the following files on it: -

image.png.7ce068f5b658aa91007d503a7694e321.png

Do I need to leave the System Volume Information file folder?

6 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Right, I've done that and the SD Card now has the following files on it: -

image.png.7ce068f5b658aa91007d503a7694e321.png

Do I need to leave the System Volume Information file folder?

No. It's a Windows file so may do no harm but it isn't part of the update. It seems to be the Mac system files that cause problems.

That said, there really shouldn't be any additional files (I know that putting any kind of media file on the same card prevents the update).

4 minutes ago, roo said:

Do we actually need to copy over the mib1 folder? I thought the mk3 was mib2?

Haven't tried myself but as the metainfo file refers to it it might cause the update to go tilt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BillyJim said:

No. It's a Windows file so may do no harm but it isn't part of the update. It seems to be the Mac system files that cause problems.

That said, there really shouldn't be any additional files (I know that putting any kind of media file on the same card prevents the update).

Haven't tried myself but as the metainfo file refers to it it might cause the update to go tilt.

Ok, do you normally download the other file that gives updates on radio stations as I've never done that, I guess for that you use a separate SD card with only that file on it?! 

Update, just tried deleting the System Volume Information file folder and I can't, so we'll have to see what happens lol

Edited by Prykey

You only need the update file with the radio stations if you are missing logos for your presets.

Personally I downloaded this to a folder on the computer in case I needed it. Used it twice and that was on a clean SD card which I had lying around.

There are a lot of logos in the folder

I only needed two logos, so copied the folder to another location on laptop  (eg download logos file saved in 'Skoda files' folder - copied logos folder to desktop )

I then deleted all but the logo I didn't need before going out to the car. 

This saved me scrolling through piles of logos to get to the one I wanted in the car.

39 minutes ago, Ashmount said:

You only need the update file with the radio stations if you are missing logos for your presets.

Personally I downloaded this to a folder on the computer in case I needed it. Used it twice and that was on a clean SD card which I had lying around.

There are a lot of logos in the folder

I only needed two logos, so copied the folder to another location on laptop  (eg download logos file saved in 'Skoda files' folder - copied logos folder to desktop )

I then deleted all but the logo I didn't need before going out to the car. 

This saved me scrolling through piles of logos to get to the one I wanted in the car.

I don't listen to the radio much and I think that those stations i have preset have logos so I won't bother with that, thanks for the reply :biggrin:

Downloaded  and installed into system on the car...........NO different from before. It still tells me my house number does not exist, just like before.

7 hours ago, albertz10 said:

Downloaded  and installed into system on the car...........NO different from before. It still tells me my house number does not exist, just like before.

Well, nobody is perfect :dry:, I spent years having to enter the wrong street name into sat navs before they woke up to the fact that my road exists and redirecting people looking for Screwfix from what is plainly a private estate to the correct location :D.

I still don't understand why the powers that be insist that I live in Walthamstow when the roads either side of me are in Leyton, but then who cares, I've lived with that since 1989 ;) :D.

I'm sure that technology will catch up with your home soon but until then just use next doors number (if that exists). 

"If you download from the portal on a Windows PC it runs a downloader utility that downloads and extracts the file/folders to the SD Card for you."

Windows 10 supports  zip natively; it is part of the package you don't need to download a separate utility unless you prefer to use another. Or you are not running W10 as your OS

Hence my comments originally that I simply download and then 'unzip' to the sd card. The download from either the Skoda portal or the VAG one always takes me at least 8 hours and anything up to 12 !!!!!   

Edited by Sagalout
  • Like 1

Nuthin's easy, said the Mac user.

In June, I downloaded and installed the ECE 2017 update successfully after reading BillyJim's information about invisible files. I figured it would be easy with the ECE 2018 update. Ha! I must have made six trips to the car and spent hours downloading, copying files across and deleting invisibles before I finally got it right. The answer, for me, was to download CleanMyMac as advised by @Ashmount on page 2 of this thread.

I let the car idle while the update loaded. That's enough time to set all the radio presets for even the AM stations.

Phew! All sorted for another six months...

7 hours ago, Prykey said:

Well, nobody is perfect :dry:, I spent years having to enter the wrong street name into sat navs before they woke up to the fact that my road exists and redirecting people looking for Screwfix from what is plainly a private estate to the correct location :D.

I still don't understand why the powers that be insist that I live in Walthamstow when the roads either side of me are in Leyton, but then who cares, I've lived with that since 1989 ;) :D.

I'm sure that technology will catch up with your home soon but until then just use next doors number (if that exists). 

It's no big deal really, just annoying that the likes of TOM TOM and Garmin etc all have had my address on their software for the past 10 years....Skoda behind the times.