LATEST MAP DOWNLOAD

29 minutes ago, freelunch said:

The answer, for me, was to download CleanMyMac as advised by @Ashmount on page 2 of this thread.

CleanMyDrive 2 :)

(CleanMyMac 3 is also an excellent utility for Mac users - wouldn't be without it)

Ash

Ha! Careless? Moi?  Might be why I such trouble with these things. Yes, CleanMyDrive 2 is what I used. :D

(Edit: I see the difference between the two is $39.95! If it's free, it's for me.)

Edited by freelunch
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 01:50, albertz10 said:

Downloaded  and installed into system on the car...........NO different from before. It still tells me my house number does not exist, just like before.

Assume you know how to get your your house when you are close?  I just set "home" on satnav to be centre of town where I live.  Setting it to be your actual address is a really bad idea, as should anyone ever steal your car it's basically an advert saying your house is probably empty and they now have a really easy way to get there!

32 minutes ago, nicklouse said:

Assume you know how to get your your house when you are close?  I just set "home" on satnav to be centre of town where I live.  Setting it to be your actual address is a really bad idea, as should anyone ever steal your car it's basically an advert saying your house is probably empty and they now have a really easy way to get there!

Your response is a tad silly is it not?  That's not the point.....we buy the vehicle with sat nav...it is supposed to do just that,  Nav as in navigate. The skoda system does not. And because someone would steal a car, why would that say "I'm not at home"?  

1 minute ago, albertz10 said:

.....we buy the vehicle with sat nav...it is supposed to do just that,  Nav as in navigate. The skoda system does not. 

That's a big statement...as far as I can tell from your post the Skoda system, (the same system in other VAG cars) does show your home on the map . If it can't find your house at all when you key it in have you tried entering the destination from the map when you are at your 'home' location, or does it show you parked in the middle of nowhere?

In over six years I've found Skoda's sat nav accurate,  but I appreciate that, like ourselves, sat nav technology is not perfect, (in any car)  and can make some s suggestions that are a tad silly from time to time.

1 hour ago, albertz10 said:

And because someone would steal a car, why would that say "I'm not at home"?  

To be fair, not setting your home location specifically to the door is widely recommended by UK police forces for exactly this reason. If the car is stolen at a motorway services or distant location there's a higher-than-normal chance nobody will be home at the time (higher than just casing a random street) and a quick call could have a fellow scrote checking out the house in a matter of minutes.

37 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

To be fair, not setting your home location specifically to the door is widely recommended by UK police forces for exactly this reason. If the car is stolen at a motorway services or distant location there's a higher-than-normal chance nobody will be home at the time (higher than just casing a random street) and a quick call could have a fellow scrote checking out the house in a matter of minutes.

Well in my case would never happen.......always someone in. And with all due respect, I do not pay attention to Police recommendations . Anyway, the good old Skoda cannot be stolen apparently....because of the clever keys we have :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Ashmount said:

That's a big statement...as far as I can tell from your post the Skoda system, (the same system in other VAG cars) does show your home on the map . If it can't find your house at all when you key it in have you tried entering the destination from the map when you are at your 'home' location, or does it show you parked in the middle of nowhere?

In over six years I've found Skoda's sat nav accurate,  but I appreciate that, like ourselves, sat nav technology is not perfect, (in any car)  and can make some s suggestions that are a tad silly from time to time.

It's an accurate statement though.  It is petty I know but out of all the numbers in the street my number does not exist. next door number does, other side of me does but not mine....and I have tried to locate my house number when 500 miles away from home......odd, you bet. I have had Skoda cars for 5 years plus, the Sat Nav is  very poor. There are roads / hotels in France which have been there for 40 years....Skoda sat nav does not know this. FACT. Why they do not base their Sat nav on tom tom will always amuse me, since Audi do...and they are the same group. 

2 hours ago, albertz10 said:

Skoda sat nav does not know this. FACT. Why they do not base their Sat nav on tom tom will always amuse me, since Audi do...and they are the same group. 

Are you sure about that? TomTom supply Fiat, Renault, Mazda, Toyota. Whereas Here (  was Navteq )  is substantially owned by Mercedes, BMW and Audi.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)#Acquisition_by_car_companies

Edited by peter_k

16 minutes ago, peter_k said:

Are you sure about that? TomTom supply Fiat, Renault, Mazda, Toyota. Whereas Here (  was Navteq )  is substantially owned by Mercedes, BMW and Audi.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)#Acquisition_by_car_companies

Yes I am more than sure, in fact positive. I have a 2016 Audi A6. The sat nav uses an sd card to load into the system...low and behold it says on it ...Tom Tom...

The map data is from Navteq/HERE maps. However the VW group as said above have a deal with TomTom for traffic data.

I could put an SD card with a TomTom brand in my Skoda - doesn't mean it's used for map data. Likewise I did have sat nav on my Audi A3 which used a SD card to store map data. That card had the Audi logo on it.

Edited by rtj70

• 3 weeks later...

But the map data is not provided by TomTom.

Besides you say in your profile you have an L&K so have Columbus sat nav. Therefore the map data is on the internal flash storage of the Columbus unit. It does not store maps on an SD card. You can update maps from SD cards or online via WiFi.

If you refer to the Audi then it either stores maps internally like the Columbus or comes with an Audi branded SD card. Either way it does not use TomTom for mapping data. You could of course get a card with TomTom logo on it and put maps on it. Doesn't make the data TomTom. Audi uses (and part owns) Navteq/HERE.

Edited by rtj70

On 06/12/2017 at 00:11, rtj70 said:

But the map data is not provided by TomTom.

Besides you say in your profile you have an L&K so have Columbus sat nav. Therefore the map data is on the internal flash storage of the Columbus unit. It does not store maps on an SD card. You can update maps from SD cards or online via WiFi.

If you refer to the Audi then it either stores maps internally like the Columbus or comes with an Audi branded SD card. Either way it does not use TomTom for mapping data. You could of course get a card with TomTom logo on it and put maps on it. Doesn't make the data TomTom. Audi uses (and part owns) Navteq/HERE.

So Tom Tom supply the smaps to Audi but don't actually supply the map data...confusing.  So who does?   The Audi uses an SD card not storage. Well you know more than me but I do know that when I bought my Audi I was given an SD card with Tom Tom on it, so VAG are using SD cards advertising Tom tom but they dont use Tom Tom....confused, yo uwill be. Oh and besides, I have 2 Octavia's a L& K Superb an Audi A6 , a VW caddy and a Ford Ka......oh and a Kia Carens.

Interesting, I just got rid of a 2014 Audi A6, it used to have the same maps as all the other VAG group cars.

TomTom would be an improvement over the VAG group sat Nav IMO. Maps were okay, routing choices could be odd. The Kodiaq and A6 gave some bizarre routes.

In my Skodas (Kodiaq and New Superb ) I've started using Google Maps and Waze as I find they provide more optimum routing .

I'm hoping the Superb fairs better, only had it 2 days so not used it properly yet.

Edited by Sw1

• 3 weeks later...

Done it yesterday, a bit of a **** dance with MAC but eventually got there.  

I watched Dr No while I waited for it to load into the car.

The screen is actually quite good for video and is an excellent option to pass the time when waiting for the wife when she has gone shopping.

• Like 1

So a bit of a strange thing happens.

When travelling via the A46 on the Coventry bypass heading towards Warwickshire my satnav shows the new underpass at the A45 but ignores it and tries to send me up to the island and back onto the bypass. 

Anyone else have this or similar? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Finally got round to downloading the updated maps for my Columbus system. I have downloaded onto a micro SD card in a standard SD adaptor. 

However my car does not sense it in either slot one or two on the unit in the glove box (I have checked the card lock is not on). 

Do the updated maps maps need to be on a standard SD card?

Many thanks

It won't make a difference if it's a full size SD card or a micro SD in an adapter. In fact if it's 32GB it's going to be at least an SDHC card. 

Have you gone into the system and told it to check for updates from USB/SD Card?

1 hour ago, rtj70 said:

It won't make a difference if it's a full size SD card or a micro SD in an adapter. In fact if it's 32GB it's going to be at least an SDHC card. 

Have you gone into the system and told it to check for updates from USB/SD Card?

Thanks rtj70

I have been through menu, settings, system information, update software and all I get is no updates available (yes I have checked a newer version is on the SD card to what is installed in the car).

Interestingly, the option to safely eject the SD card is greyed out suggesting the car is not seeing the card. I have tried a standard size 8gb SD card in with music on and all is fine. The micro SD card is format to FAT32 (full format prior to downloading the updated maps) and it works fine in my laptop. The micro SD card is a Sandisk 32gb.

Edited by Crummy

2 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

I might try tomorrow. Does your car have WiFi access at home? It could potentially update itself but thats going to take some time.

I will try another micro SD card with music on to see if it works

• Like 1