LATEST MAP DOWNLOAD

Anyone downloaded this?  I have but get half way through unzipping and it is full of errors.......most of Russia map is corrupt?

Edited by albertz10

I've just checked the update portal using my VIN (Columbus) and it is still showing map version ECE 2017 which has been available since around June/July last year, despite the message that "the last update was November 2016". I'd be interested to know if yours is showing anything different.

The "November 2016" update, should it ever actually arrive, would be titled 'ECE 2017-2018' if Škoda continue their year-in-advance naming convention, with the mid-2017 map called 'ECE 2018', then the end of 2017 map 'ECE 2018-2019', and so on.

How old is your Superb? I would advise you check your existing maps (Menu - Settings - System) as it's quite possible it's already ECE 2017 and so you won't actually need updating (simply because no update is available yet).

On 2/9/2017 at 00:26, BillyJim said:

I've just checked the update portal using my VIN (Columbus) and it is still showing map version ECE 2017 which has been available since around June/July last year, despite the message that "the last update was November 2016". I'd be interested to know if yours is showing anything different.

The "November 2016" update, should it ever actually arrive, would be titled 'ECE 2017-2018' if Škoda continue their year-in-advance naming convention, with the mid-2017 map called 'ECE 2018', then the end of 2017 map 'ECE 2018-2019', and so on.

How old is your Superb? I would advise you check your existing maps (Menu - Settings - System) as it's quite possible it's already ECE 2017 and so you won't actually need updating (simply because no update is available yet).

I got the car in May 2016.....Have tried map updates since then with no success, so going by your comments my car will have all the maps it's ever going to have. I will check the version i have tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

1 minute ago, albertz10 said:

...so going by your comments my car will have all the maps it's ever going to have. I will check the version i have tomorrow. Thanks for the response.

You should have access to map updates every six months, the problem is that they're just not happening.

Your initial problem sounds like a corrupted or incomplete download, so my suggestion was to check if you haven't already got ECE 2017 installed before trying to download 23GB of data again.

After the years of needing to buy an expensive map disc or getting your dealer to update the maps on the RNS units (Mk II Superb) it was all coming up roses with MIB. Now you would download the bi-annual map updates yourself, free of charge.

I don't know who's responsible for posting the updates on the Skoda Update Portal but whoever they are should be rapidly replaced with someone more competent along with the developers of the bug-ridden and unusable My Destinations.

• Like 3

I got this from Skoda

Unfortunately, the download for the navigation system can take several hours to download the large files that are needed to update the navigation system.  If you are having issues with the download, please speak to the Navigation Company on the number below:

08081 013885

I have forwarded your comments to the Navigation company and they will look into the issues you have reported. Please try the download again in a few days. If you are still having issues with the download, please contact your local ŠKODA retailer. please use link below to find your local retailer:

Tried phoning, sat on hold for 25 mins......so I went back to SKODA and told them to get it sorted.

14 minutes ago, albertz10 said:

...so I went back to SKODA and told them to get it sorted.

Yeah, it's pretty crap. Skoda are blaming Navtec/Here, the map providers, while Navtec/Here are blaming Skoda for their useless site. You'll see the same thing posted in the POI thread.

• 4 months later...

When I go onto the Skoda Upgrade Portal I get the following options, do I need to download both, or are they both the same?

This always appears far more complicated than it should be!  

59537ecc1a77a_skodaudateportalCapture.thumb.PNG.a34d2e1f3a714be196ed4e3756915ca2.PNG

18 minutes ago, Prykey said:

When I go onto the Skoda Upgrade Portal I get the following options, do I need to download both, or are they both the same?

This always appears far more complicated than it should be!

They're the same, they both point to the same file - HIGH12_P161_EU.zip so use either one or the other but don't use both.

If you have any problems downloading from the Škoda Update Portal you can use @MartiniB's link - click here - to directly download the 25.4Gb update, no VIN required. It has a different file name and compression type (.7z) but the content (maps) is the same and, more importantly, it works (ECE 2017/2018 for MiB Columbus only, not Amundsen).

My iMac generates an error - "BlobNotFound" - if I try to download through the Škoda Update Portal or by its direct link. Probably just as well, why would I want a "Blob"? :fubar:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

They're the same, they both point to the same file - HIGH12_P161_EU.zip so use either one or the other but don't use both.

If you have any problems downloading from the Škoda Update Portal you can use @MartiniB's link - click here - to directly download the 25.4Gb update, no VIN required. It has a different file name and compression type (.7z) but the content (maps) is the same and, more importantly, it works (ECE 2017/2018 for MiB Columbus only, not Amundsen).

My iMac generates an error - "BlobNotFound" - if I try to download through the Škoda Update Portal or by its direct link. Probably just as well, why would I want a "Blob"? :fubar:

Thanks very much BillyJim, thats saved me a bit of mucking about :)

@BillyJim As you're on an iMac, let me ask how you decompressed the .7z download? I downloaded it, but now don't know what to do with it. (StuffIt won't work with the file.) Also, last time I tried this I was unable to make a workable SD card on my Mac, because it kept introducing a file the car computer didn't expect to see. The dealer had to load the update file for me on a Windows machine.

16 minutes ago, freelunch said:

@BillyJim As you're on an iMac, let me ask how you decompressed the .7z download? I downloaded it, but now don't know what to do with it. (StuffIt won't work with the file.) Also, last time I tried this I was unable to make a workable SD card on my Mac, because it kept introducing a file the car computer didn't expect to see. The dealer had to load the update file for me on a Windows machine.

The Unarchiver works for me on a Mac.

Edited by Hozz
  • Like 1

I downloaded overnight (via a Win10 box) and unpacked without issue onto a Class 10 microSD card.  I put that into an adapter and then into SD slot 2 (slot 1 has my music on it) as I left for work, I began the update process and when I pulled up half an hour later it was at 54%. When I left work I turned on the Columbus before starting the engine and pressed the Nav button. That took me to the map as normal so I tapped Setup then Version Information. 2016 was still showing so I tapped Update again and it offer to continue an in progress update. I tapped Next and it continued at 92% which was odd given where it had stopped.  Presumably it carried on for a while after it appeared to close down.  This would tally with the slower startup with the Skoda/Canton logos when I've left the car overnight versus the quick startup if I've used it recently.

Progress crept up to 100% on the drive home then displayed a message saying it had finished and the satnav is now up and running and the version shows 2017/18 now.

2 hours ago, freelunch said:

As Hozz, I used The Unarchiver. IIRC it's free on the Mac App Store.

I also use Blue Harvest to keep all my external drives clean of those Mac hidden system files that don't play well with other systems.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

/OT: BillyJim: a "blob" is a datatype used for large binary files in Oracle databases. Most probably the server detected your iMac's browser as "Mac type" and tried to serve content accordingly which didn't work. You might have been able to fool it (by setting a developer option) and then your iMac could have been able to complete the download as a Windows browser could. OT/

Just now, Csory said:

/OT: BillyJim: a "blob" is a datatype used for large binary files in Oracle databases. Most probably the server detected your iMac's browser as "Mac type" and tried to serve content accordingly which didn't work. You might have been able to fool it (by setting a developer option) and then your iMac could have been able to complete the download as a Windows browser could. OT/

Yes, I'm aware, which is why it was meant tongue-in-cheek.

Setting the browser to emulate Explorer simply results in the download of 'Downloader.exe' which, on a Mac, is as useful as breasts on a nun.

Now for my 'spitting in the wind' rant...

The Škoda site relies heavily on MS SQL Server which is probably great if you use Windows but regularly generates problems for any other OS if not programmed correctly and whoever maintains the Škoda site is amazingly good at getting it wrong, though when you try to inform Škoda they're also amazingly good at blaming it on anyone but themselves. VW seem to get it right, wether you're a Windows or Mac user, so why on earth can't Škoda?

End of rant.

• Like 1

I've decompressed the .7z file. And I've downloaded Tinkertool to get rid of the .ds that the Mac OS likes to write. I'll try that before I spring for Blue Harvest, being the freetard that I am...

The expanded .7z download shows four files: metainfo2.txt, Mib1, Mib2 and P161_n60s5mibh3_eu_nt.md5. I'm guess the last of these is not meant to be included on the SD card?

Thanks, all.

9 minutes ago, freelunch said:

... and P161_n60s5mibh3_eu_nt.md5. I'm guess the last of these is not meant to be included on the SD card?

You guess correctly. It's a download checksum file and not part of the actual update.

Being computer illiterate, I understand very little of the correspondence in this thread.  All I can say is that my car, registered September 2016, ordered July so MY17, is going in for the first service next week.  I enquired about updating the sat nav and was told there is nothing new available until the end of the year.  Investigation of the Skoda website seems to confirm this.  If the above refer to later updates from where have the originated?

Lol6,

Need to check what version of the maps are already installed. I too have a MY17 and I had ECE2017 when collected in March 2017. This week I have now updated to ECE 2017/2018.

From memory this is done by: Select Navigation >Settings >Version. this should then show ECE2017 or similar

I make the asumption that you have enterd your VIN number in the box on the Skoda update portal.

Have a look at this thread I started a few days ago

MartiniB gives a few links to sites where you can download the latest mapping.

Hope that helps, there are plenty of people on this site to help you out, fair to say the dealer is not always the best place for correct info.

Smudgers,

The service receptionist at the dealer entered the VIN for me and checked.  This was about a month ago so things may have changed since then.  I will check again and read your thread.  

Thank you you for the advice.

@MartiniB @BillyJim Thank you two for your help with the link and the Mac solutions. Turns out I had an app called WhatSize. It lists all files on your drive, visible and invisible, then gives you the option to delete them. I deleted three invisible files and the Columbus unit was happy with my SD card. Job done.

Now, I just have to drive somewhere...

Edited by freelunch