Tyres/91h Fronts and 91v Backs

Pudq1

As long as they are consistent across the axle and H meets the minimum specification of the car then you should be ok. If you are ordering four new ones though I see no reason not to get a full set of identical tyres however.

The price difference between H and V is likely to be minimal. Are the fronts winter tyres as generally decent summer ones in sizes used by Octavias tend to start at V.

Edited by Huskoda
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Huskoda said:

As long as they are consistent across the axle and H meets the minimum specification of the car then you should be ok. If you are ordering four new ones though I see no reason not to get a full set of identical tyres however.

The price difference between H and V is likely to be minimal. Are the fronts winter tyres as generally decent summer ones in sizes used by Octavias tend to start at V.

Yes will be getting four new ones eventually, Backs will be done next week and fronts have a little longer on them - so maybe 4-6 weeks.

You might get a better deal by changing all 4 together. If there's a difference in tread depth, rotate the tyres front to rear to even out the wear over the next little while so you can replace all 4 together.

Check the tyre pressure label inside the fuel filler flap: it'll list the type approved sizes and speed ratings for your car. I'd imagine it's V for your car: going to H might be fine on the road, but your insurance company may not be happy with you using a lower rating than the type approval.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 15:28, KenONeill said:

I've never seen an Octy with H speed rating as standard. It's usually V or W rating.

Also, are the tyres, particularly the H speed ones, an adequate load rating for your model?

I wouldn't know how to check if they are an adequate load rating, do you recommend keeping them all the same when I change them or keep the front 2 different to the back 2?

The 91 you state in the original post is the load rating and is sufficient for all Octavia MKIIs. You will have to go super low budget to possibly get one that is below that in a size for your car. You are however likely to see XL 94 load rated tyres which are fine also.

It is always better to have all four identical if that is a reasonable option for you.

• Like 1

My vRS came with XL tyres on it when I got it second hand. Not knowing my bum from my elbow about tyres, I replaced them with standard load ones as they all needed doing and that was what the book said it came with.

What a difference. The XLs made it corner like it was on rails and the steering was so direct. The standard load tyres make the car feel like it's ordinary. It lacks the precision and connectedness it had with the XLs. I can't wait for these to wear out so I can put XLs on again. Going back up to Continental Sport Contact 5 (94) Y.

Edited by Papfox
  • Like 1

Having looked into this since and now knowing slightly more than I did when I started, my understanding is that you are correct. I've been told by a tyre dealer that the important things is the speed your vehicle could do rather than the speed you actually do in it. So, if you have a vRS that can do 149 but you never go over 70 you can't put N-rating tyres (87 MPH) on it to save money. If you did, you could be prosecuted for a construction and use offence and your insurance company could walk away from paying you if there was an accident. The offence would be the same as driving around with bald tyres and I think the current penalty is something like 3 or 4 points plus mucho dinero per dodgy tyre.

Blackcircles Speed Rating Guide

The Mk.II vRS, for example, should have at least W rating tyres if you have 17" wheels and Y rating if you have the 18" wheels. It was explained to me that, the higher the speed rating of a tyre, the stiffer it will tend to be and that it is a very bad idea to mix different rating tyres as having different stiffnesses on different corners of the car could cause some very strange handling issues.

Edited by Papfox
  • Like 1

I'm fairly sure if you put the registration number or car type into any tyre search website, they only bring up suitable tyres for that specific model, and the suitability would include the speed rating, which would not include 'H' in the op's case.

And in the OP's Blackcircles links in his 'middle of the range tyres', post.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeholroyd said:

I can't see where to enter my reg, Mike. I usually just enter tyre size and ratings etc, though.

But am I wrong in my last post re the 'OP's case' comment that I made, as I see from his other post that he has 205/60R 15" wheels, and from your post above, that a 'H' speed rating may??? be suitable for his car, although the ones above are 195/65 on 15"??????

• Like 1

If you follow the Blackcircles link in the post above, enter your reg number in the box next to the "Find Speed Rating" button then hit the button, you should find it.

• Like 1

I think it does have a little more knowledge than that. For my car, it offers 225/45R17 and 225/40R18 and leaves out the 15" and 16" options so it does appear that it knows what the available options were for my car. That may just be done from the engine size though.

Edited by Papfox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Huskoda said:

The 91 you state in the original post is the load rating and is sufficient for all Octavia MKIIs. You will have to go super low budget to possibly get one that is below that in a size for your car. You are however likely to see XL 94 load rated tyres which are fine also.

It is always better to have all four identical if that is a reasonable option for you.

So get 91h or 91v on all four tyres? I am meant to be getting them fitted Tuesday and am still non the wiser!!

Edited by Pudq1

If you want a standard ride, the 91s will be  fine. If you want firmer, more sporty handling or you often load the car up with heavy stuff then then 94s may be more to your liking.

If you wanted a slightly used set of Conti Sport Contact 5 in the 225/45R17 91 Y then I could definitely  be persuaded to upgrade to the 94s and sell you my current set.

Edited by Papfox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pudq1 said:

So get 91 on all four tyres? I am meant to be getting them fitted Tuesday and am still non the wiser!! yes

The speed rating is the one that is in question here and only you can check that Pud, but even though the 'H' rating is to 130mph, for some reason, and as far as insurance companies are concerned, I do not think 'H' is the correct speed rating for the Octavia.

Just spend a few extra quid and get the best 'V' rated 91 tyres that you can afford.

It is not only your safety on the road that matters, but all others around you.

• Like 3

• 225/45R17 W 91 (Fitted to both the front and rear of the vehicle)
  • 205/55R16 V 91 (Fitted to both the front and rear of the vehicle)
  • 205/60R15 H 91 (Fitted to both the front and rear of the vehicle)

These are the options I have been given

Why are you still faffing round asking about tyres when I pointed out you can get a very good price from the F1 Autocentres dotted around the country and get these:

205/55VR16 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 91V

https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/tyre-index-single.php?id=55413

for a cost of £59.90 per tyre. Fitted. At the correct size and rating for your car. End of. Goodnight!

Edited by Golf-Fiend

13 hours ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Why are you still faffing round asking about tyres when I pointed out you can get a very good price from the F1 Autocentres dotted around the country and get these:

205/55VR16 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 91V

https://www.f1autocentres.co.uk/tyre-index-single.php?id=55413

for a cost of £59.90 per tyre. Fitted. At the correct size and rating for your car. End of. Goodnight!

Perhaps cos he has 15" wheels Nick. That is if he has got the size correct in his other post!

Although I don't know why he is still "faffing round" as you so eloquently put it, Lol.

Edited by Tilt
  • Like 2

I may have missed something but it's not entirely clear what car or wheels the OP has.

As an example, looking at a FL brochure it states:

- Octavia S: 15” ‘Avantgarda’ steel wheels (6.0J x 15” 195/65 R15 91H) (R15 T on 1.4 16V, R15 91V on 1.4 TSI)

- Octavia SE: 15” ‘Pyxis’ alloys with anti-theft wheel bolts (6.5J x 15” 205/60 R15V)

- Octavia GreenLine II: 15” ‘Pyxis’ alloys with anti-theft locking wheel bolts (6.5J x 15” 195/65 R15 91H - low rolling resistance tyres)

That's a selection of four different 15" tyre sizes depending on the wheel and car specification.

@Pudq1, if you want the correct answer it would be handy to know the year, model, engine and spec of your car. Ideally including what steel or alloy wheels you have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, langers2k said:

I may have missed something but it's not entirely clear what car or wheels the OP has.

As an example, looking at a FL brochure it states:

- Octavia S: 15” ‘Avantgarda’ steel wheels (6.0J x 15” 195/65 R15 91H) (R15 T on 1.4 16V, R15 91V on 1.4 TSI)

- Octavia SE: 15” ‘Pyxis’ alloys with anti-theft wheel bolts (6.5J x 15” 205/60 R15V)

- Octavia GreenLine II: 15” ‘Pyxis’ alloys with anti-theft locking wheel bolts (6.5J x 15” 195/65 R15 91H - low rolling resistance tyres)

That's a selection of four different 15" tyre sizes depending on the wheel and car specification.

@Pudq1, if you want the correct answer it would be handy to know the year, model, engine and spec of your car. Ideally including what steel or alloy wheels you have.

09 1.9tdi SE

Edited by Pudq1