Severe vibration through front of car and up through steering wheel at speed of 70 miles an hour plus

Philtaxi

Hi

I have Skoda Superb 170 DSG and I am having serious vibration problems at speeds of 65 miles per hour and above. The mileage on the car is 140000 miles and is used daily as my taxi for my business. I've started hearing a catching noise on tick over when the engine is cold about 30000 miles ago and steadily the vibration has been getting worse. I have the wheels balanced and a four Wheel track done on a regular basis. I have read other topics from similar other VAG vehicles with this engine but none on skoda superbs. I was wondering if I could get some helpful info please.

2 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

Hi

I have Skoda Superb 170 DSG and I am having serious vibration problems at speeds of 65 miles per hour and above. The mileage on the car is 140000 miles and is used daily as my taxi for my business. I've started hearing a catching noise on tick over when the engine is cold about 30000 miles ago and steadily the vibration has been getting worse. I have the wheels balanced and a four Wheel track done on a regular basis. I have read other topics from similar other VAG vehicles with this engine but none on skoda superbs. I was wondering if I could get some helpful info please.

Is the vibration mainly through the steering column or just generally through the cabin?

Does it have a DMF on the superb? Any rattling on tick-over? Probably not this but just a thought.

Or damaged / faulty engine mount?

Edited by Tilt

Yes there is rattling from cold but sounds more like a caching sound disappears when warm. Vibration coming from front of foot well travelling up the steeing column.....gear change clunky and now anything over 50 mph and the whole car is shuddering. 

1 hour ago, Tilt said:

Does it have a DMF on the superb? Any rattling on tick-over? Probably not this but just a thought.

Or damaged / faulty engine mount?

Yes I believe it does have a DMF.

DMF vibrations are engine speed related, not road speed related and are usually most noticeable at idle in my experience, so I don't think its that.

Have you checked the tyres for any deformities or sawtoothing? 

Edited by SuperbTWM

1 hour ago, SuperbTWM said:

DMF vibrations are engine speed related, not road speed related and are usually most noticeable at idle in my experience, so I don't think its that.

Have you checked the tyres for any deformities or sawtoothing? 

Yes mate had mid range tyres put on at furrows skoda and hunter track done at same time. The vibration has got worse over the last 10 thousand miles. There was light vibration before the tyres were changed.

20 minutes ago, jafo said:

Instead of guessing - can't you just go to proper mechanic ??

Yes your absolutely right and this is where it is now towed in by skoda assistance. After the car lost drive with a bang. I would have to say after always having ford mondeo's and doing 200,000 miles+ in most of them with very little going wrong this skoda superb has been the most expensive car I've owned and will be changed for another mondeo. 

EGR....£1200.00

New mechatronic  £2500.00

new head after waterpump failed and stripped the belt £4500.00 luckily covered by warranty. Superb I think not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philtaxi said:

Yes your absolutely right and this is where it is now towed in by skoda assistance. After the car lost drive with a bang. I would have to say after always having ford mondeo's and doing 200,000 miles+ in most of them with very little going wrong this skoda superb has been the most expensive car I've owned and will be changed for another mondeo. 

EGR....£1200.00

New mechatronic  £2500.00

new head after waterpump failed and stripped the belt £4500.00 luckily covered by warranty. Superb I think not.

I'm afraid this sounds like major failure of the Dual Mass Flywheel which may have done further damage

Few tests to try -

Assume vibration is present when not under braking...

If your at 70mph and the vibration is present, if you engage Neutral or dip the clutch, is the vibration still present once revs settle at 1k rpm ?

If the vibration goes, its more than likely at a certain engine RPM, establish what the RPM is by holding the gear.. this will confirm engine related / mounts.

If issue is present when in gear and neutral, its time to look at wheels, lower arms and for any play in front and rear suspension.

10 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Few tests to try -

Assume vibration is present when not under braking...

If your at 70mph and the vibration is present, if you engage Neutral or dip the clutch, is the vibration still present once revs settle at 1k rpm ?

If the vibration goes, its more than likely at a certain engine RPM, establish what the RPM is by holding the gear.. this will confirm engine related / mounts.

If issue is present when in gear and neutral, its time to look at wheels, lower arms and for any play in front and rear suspension.

But car has now lost drive - see a few posts ago by Philtaxi /\ /\

Edited by bigjohn

This has been my first foray into the auto market and I must be honest I did love the dsg just didn't like the extra cost of maintaining it. The car is always serviced at skoda and done when it needs it. But she has been a bugger. Colleague of mine has mondeo titanium x powershift with 240,000 miles is still going strong so I think it's definitely back to ford. Thankyou all for the input and help.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Philtaxi said:

This has been my first foray into the auto market and I must be honest I did love the dsg just didn't like the extra cost of maintaining it. The car is always serviced at skoda and done when it needs it. But she has been a bugger. Colleague of mine has mondeo titanium x powershift with 240,000 miles is still going strong so I think it's definitely back to ford. Thankyou all for the input and help.

Have you considered a Toyota Hybrid? Uber reliable , no DPF, no SCR,  no DMF no starter motor and very clever but suprisingly simple transmition and capable of starship mileages. Very good mpg especially in traffic - very light on brake pads/disks. Toyota Auris Touring reasonably good value

Ford Mondeo also know to have DMF, EGR issues and can have v expensive injection problems (fuel pump case hardening failure that takes out every thing down stream inc injectors - the first you know about it is one injector fails - big big bills follow). In addition 1.6 diesel to be avoided.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Have you considered a Toyota Hybrid? Uber reliable , no DPF, no SCR,  no DMF no starter motor and very clever but suprisingly simple transmition and capable of starship mileages. Very good mpg especially in traffic - very light on brake pads/disks. Toyota Auris Touring reasonably good value

Ford Mondeo also know to have DMF, EGR issues and can have v expensive injection problems (fuel pump case hardening failure that takes out every thing down stream inc injectors - the first you know about it is one injector fails - big big bills follow). In addition 1.6 diesel to be avoided.

Thankyou for replying bigJohn. 

Firstly I would agree with you on the early mondeo's with ref to case hardening on pump and injectors. On the three mk3 mondeo's that I had I never experienced the pump issues on my first I did have an injector issue with coding which was rectified. I've had to replace all the dmf on all five of the mondeo's that I've had. they were expensive to begin with but they did come down in price. The 1.6 I wouldn't touch simply just not enough power or torque to cope with daily use and the turbo issues is another story.

The mk4 and 4.5 use the tried and tested 2.0hdi engine and they are brilliant.  The problem I have when choosing a vehicle is I'm 6ft 3 and need leg room for me and the customers behind me and there are very few cars that can do both to date only the mondeo and superb do it well.

Toyota love the concept just not enough room.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:15, Tilt said:

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 14:19, SuperbTWM said:

DMF vibrations are engine speed related, not road speed related and are usually most noticeable at idle in my experience, .

I know my engine speed increases with road speed, and I did ask any rattling on tick-over.

Too late now though, either way.

15 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I'm afraid this sounds like major failure of the Dual Mass Flywheel which may have done further damage

I wonder if we will find out? Not good for the OP though, if this is the case.

6 minutes ago, Tilt said:

I know my engine speed increases with road speed, and I did ask any rattling on tick-over.

Too late now though, either way.

I wonder if we will find out? Not good for the OP though, if this is the case.

If your flywheel vibrates a lot at say 2000 rpm, it will vibrate at 2000 rpm in every gear, which is obviously a different speed in every gear. That's what I was getting at.:)

I'd be wary of going at speed in it, in case something comes adrift , a CV joint or something. After 10 k your mid range tyres are probably quite  worn and could have developed a fault

Edited by peterposh

11 minutes ago, peterposh said:

I'd be wary of going at speed in it, in case something comes adrift , a CV joint or something. After 10 k your mid range tyres are probably quite  worn and could have developed a fault

I'd read the above posts before posting. He ain't going anywhere in it anytime soon.

To save you reading the above posts, it's in the garage, and towed in at that.

On 17/02/2017 at 08:48, Philtaxi said:

This has been my first foray into the auto market and I must be honest I did love the dsg just didn't like the extra cost of maintaining it. The car is always serviced at skoda and done when it needs it. But she has been a bugger. Colleague of mine has mondeo titanium x powershift with 240,000 miles is still going strong so I think it's definitely back to ford. Thank you all for the input and help.

I've had MK3's MK4's , 4.5's mondeo's ,  I  bought  a few superb estates as they were offering zero percent finance  and they've been ok so far ( ones up to 135k) , they feel  lighter than the mondeos but  are more susceptible  to side winds , I find the skoda seats quite restricting with those side bolsters , they feel smaller than the mondeo ones , probably as the skodas are narrower . I've bought a few mk5 mondeos as well  now and they are excellent 

Just now, Tilt said:

I'd read the above posts before posting. He ain't going anywhere in it anytime soon.

To save you reading the above posts, it's in the garage, and towed in at that.

i have read them but missed that one line sorry