Definitive advice on Themisto to Trifid downgrade

I've had my Superb II Kombi Elegance for two months and am struggling to live with the hard, crashy ride and the road/tyre noise from the 18" Themisto alloys with 40-profile Michelin tyres.

I know downgrading the wheels has been discussed on various other threads but opinions seems to differ over whether replacing the 18" Themisto wheels with 17" Trifid wheels or similar from the SE will improve the:

• overly firm ride
  • tyre/road noise
  • fuel economy

Anyone got a definitive answer? :blush

I can't really afford to buy new or even used 17" wheels plus new tyres just to improve all/some of the above bullet points, but the sound system sounds so tinny that I can't even drown the noises out with music, and I'm beginning to have second thoughts despite it being a marvellous car in many ways.

Just checking you don't have run-flat Michelins on, as they can make the ride unbearable. 

I run the 18" Thermistos on factory lowered suspension and have no issue with the ride quality (and I was sure I would have before buying the car). The point being everyone has a different opion on what is comfortable AND you may be driving on crap roads.

Used 17" wheels from VAG are very reasonably priced in the UK, so keep an eye on the for sale pages here.

15 hours ago, HopefullyJOllyRoger said:

I know downgrading the wheels has been discussed on various other threads but opinions seems to differ over whether replacing the 18" Themisto wheels with 17" Trifid wheels or similar from the SE will improve the:

• overly firm ride
  • tyre/road noise
  • fuel economy

To be blunt, I think the reason opinions will differ is the first two points are too subjective and the 3rd point is going to require someone to have done some vey careful tracking of their fuel because the maxi dot will not be accurate enough to measure this in my view.

I've switched to 18" --> 17" for the winter. I don't think the ride was firm with the 18s on, I think it absorbs the broken up roads in the Peaks a little quieter. I'm not sure it's quieter, probably not as I'm running winter/mud/snow tyres with the tread that entails. Not gonna talk about 3 - I have the v6. I don't want to know!

If you really want to make the switch, I personally wouldn't bother sticking to Skoda wheels - there are a lot of VAG group wheels for sale on eBay. I went for Dezent for winter wheels - the finish seems to be very good and resilient.

Cheers,

Steve

P.S. I also think the stereo is a little tinny but not so bad as you're suggesting. Playing with the basic EQ has improved things a little there to my ears...

Edited by spk
Add the PS
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, HopefullyJOllyRoger said:

I've had my Superb II Kombi Elegance for two months and am struggling to live with the hard, crashy ride and the road/tyre noise from the 18" Themisto alloys with 40-profile Michelin tyres.

• overly firm ride
  • tyre/road noise
  • fuel economy

I can't really afford to buy new or even used 17" wheels plus new tyres just to improve all/some of the above bullet points, but the sound system sounds so tinny that I can't even drown the noises out with music, and I'm beginning to have second thoughts despite it being a marvellous car in many ways.

My Superb 2 Elegance seems quiet enough, same wheels as yours, but I've dumped the original Conti Sport Contact 2 tyres for Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance,which are much quieter. 

The ride/handling combination is pretty good for a largish car & I'm happy with 35/36 mpg too. It's not too bad for a 250ps 2.0 TSi.........

DC 

Hi guys,

I've checked and the tyres on mine are tubeless Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ZP (the non-runflat versions).

I appreciate that my observations are subjective. I guess I'm just disappointed with 300ish miles to a tank, or 35mpg, from the 1.8 TSI, which after coming from a torquey diesel feels a bit flat, too. I guess I've realised I'd prefer comfort and quietness rather than sharp handling, which the large Skoda Superb estate is surprisingly good at.

40 minutes ago, HopefullyJOllyRoger said:

Does anyone know if fitting smaller alloys and hence taller tyres will affect the suspension, trip computer readings, odometer, etc?

If you fit wheel/tyre combinations that are available on the std car than you should be fine. There is enough room in the wheel wells to accommodate all of the std wheel combinations without fouling the bodywork or suspension. Fitting smaller wheels and a deeper side wall will improve ride although tyre make and pressures will play a part.