Confused LED Number Plate Lights

I've bought a LED licence plate kit from LEDperf.com but I have these small black boxes with cables coming out as well? What are these for? Has anyone else fitted these after buying this kit?

Thanks, Chris

54 minutes ago, aki78 said:

You can use the Rapid lights (000052110) they are inexpensive. Coding needed!

https://www.drive2.ru/l/454512819228903992

https://www.drive2.ru/l/6034752

Thanks Aki.

In which section does it need coding?

I don't have VCDS, but could probably find someone local who can.

59 minutes ago, Jon TDI said:

Thanks Aki.

In which section does it need coding?

I don't have VCDS, but could probably find someone local who can.

It's in the VCDS coding section:

• Like 1

I've managed to sort it, I just needed to plug them in. I would highly recommend the LEDperf.com kit, literally took me less than 3 minutes to fit them and are high quality. No coding or anything needed, just straight swap. No errors.

Look awesome! The difference between the OEM yellow-ish lights and these is huge.

In case anyone is thinking of getting the kit, I also bought the glove box and interior kit which is also really good along with instructions.

Edited by ChrisWvRS

Just wanted to add, I've looked at the Rapid lights linked above, and from the images shown I would say the LEDperf ones are better quality. They have 5 times as much SMDs per light module and provide a really good amount of white light and fully OEM look. Postage was quite quick too.

8 hours ago, ChrisWvRS said:

Just wanted to add, I've looked at the Rapid lights linked above, and from the images shown I would say the LEDperf ones are better quality. They have 5 times as much SMDs per light module and provide a really good amount of white light and fully OEM look. Postage was quite quick too.

Thats the issue with many non OE LED’s... they usually are TOO bright and light the road up as well and can actually make the numberplate hard to read, whereas the OE ones just give the right amount of white light.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Thats the issue with many non OE LED’s... they usually are TOO bright and light the road up as well and can actually make the numberplate hard to read, whereas the OE ones just give the right amount of white light.

You're right but with these however it's the perfect amount of light for me. They aren't overly bright at all, no flooding out the reg plate or shining on the floor, they just illuminate the reg area with a soft white light as opposed to the usual yellow. 

I just don't really understand why you want to make your number plate more visible ... makes no sense to me. I get why you would want to ramp up the interior lights etc, but the number plate concept evades me. The less readable the better, or am i missing something?

2 hours ago, village said:

I just don't really understand why you want to make your number plate more visible ... makes no sense to me. I get why you would want to ramp up the interior lights etc, but the number plate concept evades me. The less readable the better, or am i missing something?

It's about having a more modern look, rather than making the number plate more visible; most new cars come with LEDs for the number plate rather than halogen lights. Even the Seat Leon of the same vintage got LED number plate lights as standard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, village said:

Not sure why you would want it less readable either, unless you're regularly doing something you shouldn't be?

21 minutes ago, ahenners said:

It's about having a more modern look, rather than making the number plate more visible; most new cars come with LEDs for the number plate rather than halogen lights. Even the Seat Leon of the same vintage got LED number plate lights as standard.

Thanks, i guess that makes sense

12 minutes ago, ChrisWvRS said:

Not sure why you would want it less readable either, unless you're regularly doing something you shouldn't be?

:speechless:

• 3 years later...
On 18/02/2017 at 22:48, ChrisWvRS said:

I've managed to sort it, I just needed to plug them in. I would highly recommend the LEDperf.com kit, literally took me less than 3 minutes to fit them and are high quality. No coding or anything needed, just straight swap. No errors.

Look awesome! The difference between the OEM yellow-ish lights and these is huge.

In case anyone is thinking of getting the kit, I also bought the glove box and interior kit which is also really good along with instructions.

Hey man, just bought the interior and reg plate lights for my VRS. The Blackboxes are a bit confusing alright, did you connect them up together then put them all in? 

And that stops the error from showing I take it? 

16065909109545946982984590412859.jpg

Its been a while since I did this, but I don't think I even needed to use the black boxes. I'm not at home at the moment so can't check, but I'm 99% sure I just plugged them straight in and never had any issues.

Let me know

Update, the LEDs fit in no problem but error shows up on Dash. Can live with it for small bit but going to try get sorted in next few weeks.

I understand you can decode error but I don't have the equipment to do so, will have to source someone.

Thanks anyways pal 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.  I installed Led Perf Reg Plate LEDs by just adding Black Resistor box onto each LED. Quite simple anyways, no warning on dash or anything.

I used double sided sticky tape just to stop Resistor Box from hoping around inside of boot of car. So happy out, they look great if anyone has any interest in purchasing I think well worth it.  The Interior LEDs are a easy enough install also.