Snow Foam advice please

Mence

Chaps.

After years of hinting, her indoors did the right thing and bought me a Karcher Pressure Watcher for Christmas. :)

It came with a small bottle of foam cleaner stuff which is fine but as I am about to use the pressure washer for the first time, I have a few questions...

Obviously the small bottle included is just a sample size I guess which will run out I assume very quickly. So, what do you guys recommend as a decent non bank breaking snow foam to replace it?

Am I right to assume you simply apply the foam, wait a while then rinse? Can you apply the foam AND use a mitt to help it do its stuff?

How long should it stay on?

Can it be used on wheels or is there a specific foam type product for wheels alone?

Probably a dozen more questions but answers to these should avoid early disasters.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

I pressure wash the lumpy mud. Then I use Bilt Hambar snow foam and spray all over the vehicle. Wait. Rinse off. Then bucket wash with wax solution and rinse.

Works a treat and all my cars are 4x4 as they really do go into fields and get muddy.

• Like 1

I have also just started using the Bilt Hamber Autofoam, at 1st I wasn’t overly impressed as it didn’t dwell on the car for very long (certainly less than 5 mins) HOWEVER despite it being one of the least dwelling snow foams I have used I have to say it is also one of the best... so much so that in winter you could walk away from the car after rinsing it off as it leaves the car almost spotless.

I pressure wash as much road film as possible off 1st

Snow Foam

Rinse with the pressure washer

2BM wash

rinse

Dry

Ideally you want a ‘proper’ snow foam lance

• Like 1

Right! I'd get a separate cannon for your snow foam, I recommend this..

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/elite-hd-snow-foam-lance-with-free-elite-snow-foam.php?cPath=93

You need to specify what Karcher machine you have and they will pre fit the appropriate Karcher part for you. Put around 1 to 2 inches (depending on the amount of dirt on the car) in the bottle and top the bottle up with hot tap water. When I say top up, stop where the water is level before it goes up the neck of the bottle.

Cover the car in an even coat of foam, include the wheels and arches. Allow to dwell for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the amount of dirt on the car. Rinse off and most of the dirt should be gone in the foam. Wash as per your desired method, rinse and dry. Simples!!

Enjoy :biggrin: 

• Like 1

Many thanks chaps, I will go with the majority vote on this and give the Bad Hamster stuff a go. :)

I had had read somewhere else that a better quality lance might be a benefit, certainly one with a slightly bigger capacity bottle wouldn't go amiss.

Appreciate you guys coming back to me, thanks again.

I wouldn't use the foam cleaner that comes with the Karcher or the bottle, you will need a proper snow foam bottle for the vehicle, as mentioned by other members :thumbup:

Buy one of these with the correct attachment for your pressure washer:

http://www.saverschoiceuk.com/automotive/washing-and-drying/snow-foam-lance-premium-quality-with-full-brass-internals-various-fittings.html

Choices of snow foam

http://www.saverschoiceuk.com/automotive/washing-and-drying/bilt-hamber-auto-foam-5-litre.html

I've been using this one for years

http://www.envyvaleting.com/products-info.asp?id=188

5L @ £18.99

Edit: Or just buy it from here altogether.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Karcher-K-HD-foam-lance-with-Bubbly-Jubbly-pH-snow-foam-SSF-5L-/151936207583?hash=item23601a8adf:g:6HgAAOSw0HVWAqYU

Am I right to assume you simply apply the foam, wait a while then rinse? Can you apply the foam AND use a mitt to help it do its stuff?

You can do it like that as some people do but I personally prefer to rinse the snow foam clean then use a 2BM with a few wash mitts, 1 mitt for the upper half vehicle body & the other wash mitt for the lower half of the vehicle body (sills, arches, bumpers etc...) 

How long should it stay on?

Around 5 minutes minimum to around 8 minutes maximum (Just don't let it dry on the paintwork)

Can it be used on wheels or is there a specific foam type product for wheels alone?

You can use it on the wheels, arches, no probs.

Edited by BATVANVRS
  • Like 1

Recommend Bilt Hamber Auto snow foam. AP snow foam lance circa £40. Specify it with an attachment for Karcher. Do not buy a cheap foam lance unless you see the result of applying the foam. The AP lance can be serviced and will last you a long time. Snow foam is only one step in cleaning a car and the purpose is to minimise contact with the paintwork. Mix the cleaning agent to the recommended dilution.

To keep the paintwork in good condition you need to have the minimum of contact when washing it. Do not agitate the paintwork with the snow foam. Let it do its thing and then rinse it off. Use proper car shampoo and micro fibre for the washing. Do not let any cleaning agent dry on the paintwork. There are other contactless cleaners out there than can be used in stages the give you a really good result.

If you search on YouTube for Forensic Detailing to get a good understanding of how the products work. Good tips too but you need to pay attention as it is more classroom than action movie.

• Like 1

BH Auto foam all day long.  Thin foam and less dwell time but the cleaning ability is awesome.  Yes you use abit more in the Lance but it's cheap to buy in 5L. 

Don't let the thin foam put you off when using it. People love thick thick foam, it's a waste of time. 

• Like 2

what I do, don't jet wash or anything snow form it up under arches every where. Leave for 5 mins then power wash it completely brings all dirt etc off then wash car as normal .

that's what I do for prewash