Pug 407 Coupe

Gwilo

We've all seen the ad's saying that "Men Are Back", but to be honest, I never went away....:P

I'm feeling slightly like a mid-life crisis coming on, so I went down the loca stealers to see if this car looked any better than the bowl of dogfood that is the saloon.

It's a big brute, I'll give it that.

For the most part, it looks rather attractive in reality, and the interior feels quite nice as well.

However, the rake/reach adjustement lever is obstinate and made out of the same tacky cheap plastic as it was on the 406. Come to think about it, it was the same leve mechanism too! Just feels flimsy.

And even once the key was in and tunred to the ignition setting, none of the windows or seat adjustments worked. I do hope that's not a "design feature" whereby you have to actually start the engine before any of it works - because the electric fwd/backward movement when you flip the front seats worked fine.........

Spied they did a diesel engine too.....2.7 HDi, 200bhp+........:cool:

Things looked quite attractive so far......and then the price........

SE =

Sorry to sound like and old fart' date=' but it has to be diesel.

The Monaro's got a drink problem - 200 miles a week, could be an expensive drink problem.......[/quote']

It's the diesel that Jag have dropped in the S Type and XJ and Land Rover has dropped in the Range Rover Sport and Discovery (although the Jag is twin turbo, whereas the Landies are set up for off road as well: single turbo, less powerful but more torque), the engine was designed and built as a joint venture between PAG and PSA.

I imagine it won't be quite as powerful or smooth as the Jag in the Peugeot though, but then that's reflected in the price of the car. Very good engine by all accounts, been waiting to see what PSA were going to drop it in to.

What were they doing when they designed it!...did they leave the big clay mould out and when everyone went home the cleaners invited his mates in to see how good they were with clay tools?...theres a silver one parked on the grass infront of the local dealers and i can almost see people on the buses that go past using the complimentary peugeot sickbag that they've given to Stagecoach.

but to be fair as has been mentioned the 2.7 bi-turbo diesel is extremely good!....rumour has it LandRover will be fitting it to the new Freelander next year! & it may even find itself in the new Jag XK!??

Chris:)

This car is a bit of an ugly bloater if you ask me. The overhangs at each end make it look ridiculous. For that kind of money, you could buy a real basking shark surely?

You will heammorage money in the first year of ownership and then spend even more on repairs during ownership.

Alfa's look better, and retain more value, but you'll be in the same boat with the repairs unfortunately....

I would like to thank Peugeot for the new 407 Coupe as it makes me appreciate the looks of my Pinninfarina designed 406 Coupe. I now have a Fabia VRS as I am doing 500 miles a week and the petrol bill for the 3.0 V6 was killing me, I plan to sell the 406 coupe but am tempted to keep it as I think it is one of the best looking cars in the last 10 years IMHO.

I am sure the 407 is a great relaxing cruiser but there are a lot better looking coupes out there and coupes should look good.

Have driven the diesel version. Its way quieter that my Ibiza tdi 130. It goes like stink and the 6 speed auto box is brilliant. Yes it is a cruiser, and as a co. car recon it would make sense. The one I drove was black and looked kinda cool, plus plenty of room in the back for a six footer! Don't recon you'll get much more than 30 MPG knocking about mind.

• 2 years later...

Interesting this. Just been into the local Peugeot dealer and they have a 407 Coupe 3.0 V6 SE Auto on an 07 plate with delivery miles at over 8 grand off list. Still covered in its wax at present.

Took a 2.7 V6 HDi for a test drive - very smooth and quiet - very impressed. Going to see the 3.0 V6 on Wednesday! Have provisionally said I'll take the 3.0 V6 if they can meet a couple of conditions for me.