Alternator eating itself

Avante

Could anyone tell me what's going on here and if it is worth fixing myself?

I have another alternator I bought which isn't putting out enough power, that, or I need to look at the load wire as I've read on a few threads. 

Has been running as shown in the picture for a few days, but today my car failed to start. After about ten minutes after getting it started the power steering went. 

http://imgur.com/9ieKAVQ

Edited by Avante

It was indeed that. I've got the connector in my hand now, both wires are hanging loose. New alternator on today and see if I can get this rewired up. 

Thanks for the help and quick response.

Edit; Currently attempting to cut the neck of the housing away to see if it's possible to solder some new wires, unless there's an easier method for this problem?

Edited by Avante

They can be tricky, especially if there's not enough wire to push the contact inward with, while you stick your real or DIY extraction tool in. There are part numbers in this post that may lead you to new replacement connectors, possibly even with wires pre-fitted, via ebay.

It'll be a lot more secure and waterproof if you can keep the housing intact, however it's far more important that you get it working for now, you can always order another plug with fly leads fitted and replace it once you have it.

That sounds like a plan. Need to get her started so I can take it to my mates to get new alternator fitted - I've got a mate on his way round now with some wire and a soldering iron to see what we can do.

Smashed up a stereo module connector and use the spade clips from that to clip onto the connectors of the socket. Just need to wire the wires together now, but I'm not sure which one would be which. Gonna have to find a picture of the connector and see which colour is on the flat side of the connector.

On 23/02/2017 at 12:22, sepulchrave said:

It'll be a lot more secure and waterproof if you can keep the housing intact, however it's far more important that you get it working for now, you can always order another plug with fly leads fitted and replace it once you have it.

I've ordered the plug to arrive tomorrow. Swapping alternators in the morning then I presume I'll be waiting all day for the Postie. 

Just to make sure, the blue load wire connects to the flat side of the D-clip? And the green/purple to the rounded side of the clip?