Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

They add the minimum Bio that they are now required to and no more than the max they are allowed to since they have been made to.

Winter Spec Diesel from BP, Royal Dutch Shell or any other Wholesaler / Importer / Producer is all just the same for the Anti Waxing properties in the UK.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

PS

Where do you think BP, Royal Dutch Shell and others are getting Diesel from or Oil, all from Grangemouth or any of the other refineries left producing Diesel or Petrol in the UK, or off the same Tankers coming to the British Isles from all around the world?

UKPIA - Refining Britain's Fuels - Petroineos Grangemouth Refinery.mhtml

Edited by Awayoffski

According to here:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/octavia/hatchback-2013/16-tdi-cr-elegance-5d/specs/

Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI elegance hatchback weighs 1230kg.

Citroen C4 VTR 1.6 HDI weighs 1257kg:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/citroen/c4/hatchback-2004/16hdi-16v-vtr-5d/specs/

That consumption seems fine to me.

Ignore the manufacturer quoted figures.

I cannot find it now but I remember coming across an online document reporting on independent testing on randomly selected fuel samples from stations right across Europe for I think 2014.

From memory the standards of conformity were very good across the continent with Britain amongst the highest, but there were instances where samples were just outside standards. I don't think they were dangerously so.

Personally I just try to ensure I get my fuel from a place that it obviously well maintained and will have a high turnover. I have never been aware of having been sold a bad batch of fuel in all my years of motoring in UK or Aus 

Having said that I do know of two cases in recent years of polluted diesel being sold in our tropical Northern Territories which destroyed quite a few engines each time. Probably due to high humidity and/or torrential tropical rainfall affecting ageing storage facilities.

http://ukpia.com/industry_information/industry-overview.aspx 

There is very good traceability of Fuels in the UK and where there are issues with Deliveries or bad fuel deliveries as has happened from Depots & Refineries they get well publicised.

Trading Standards & Local Authority Checks are done around the UK and HMRC checks.

Less older stations with tanks that can be an issue with H20 are left but condensation can still be an issue in rural or highland Scotland and likely England and Wales with less well used stations, but then these stations can be a life line and those using them or the owners know the issues.

Edited by Awayoffski

5 hours ago, vtec to vrs! said:

That's not strictly true of Diesel - Supermarkets will import fuel for starters, as well as add Bio additives (Bio Diesel) that the likes of Shell / BP won't. In colder weather this can cause issues with clogging fuel filters if used excessively.

Absolute nonsense. 

We have cars on the fleet that have done over 250,000 and have used only supermarket fuels. None have died or had blocked fuel filters. 

Where are you getting this from? 

• Like 2

So am I..I always used to use supermarket fuel especially Asda (cheapest) but never had any problem.

Just to update my post...No complain regarding MPG (i have enough of it)

I have refilled the tank to the full from SHELL and it took 42 litres to cut off automatically. low fuel warning light was on since day before yesterday and today the indicator hand was even less than half in the red zone. in my calculation, if the low fuel warning light on means 7litres fuel left in the tank (according to the manual) then i guess i should have 3litres (max) left in the tank..So total holding capacity in the tank is 45liters!!!! Really?

Now about MPG: the trip computer was 501miles (400miles were motorway miles) before refuelling. I had full tank before then and in one occasion i had to refill again with 8.5liters.

Edited by automass

500 miles done on 42litres. That's over 54mpg. Pretty good real world mpg I'd say. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying.

Edited by gregoir
Confusion possible
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gregoir said:

500 miles done on 42litres. That's over 54mpg. Pretty good real world mpg I'd say. Unless I misunderstand what you are saying.

Tank was full when i set the trip com '0' but after 3/4 days i had to top up the tank again to the full where i needed 8.5 litres.. so total consumed should be 42L+8.5L. that what was consumed for driving 501miles. 

Not very good then.

I have had for my past 2 tank fills of 65 litres 650 miles. 

That is an a fat Alhambra 2.0TDI SCR 150ps DSG with a fat driver at around motorway speed on or off a motorway and a few short jaunts.

I can get 60+ mpg indicated through 50 mph average speed camera areas & 53 on a long stretch of 60mph average speed cameras..

(same as i get actually with a 1.4TSI Twincharger Fabia with 200+bhp.)

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

See, I told you guys. this car is not giving enough MPG that anyone can expect it from. Out of those 500 miles almost 400miels were long stretch motorway miles. I am thinking, shall i take it to Halfords autocentre for 'fuel system cleaning service (Cost £35)'. Does anyone know if it is worth the money. I have already booked my car for Brake4Life transfer over..so i can ask them for the service if it is worth.

Edited by automass

My 1.6CR has averaged 11.27 miles per litre over the last 8000 miles and yours, being a Mk 3 euro 6 car, should be better.

BUT, as I have said before, you must check over several tank fulls. One tankful will not be representative as there are too many small errors that can creep in such as fuel in the filler neck, weather, variations in driving style, roadworks etc. Look at the per tankful variations of mpg in the graph I showed in a a recent post.

• Like 1

I like your advice pikpilot and I'll keep an eye for this full tank. MAY BE I HAVE USED CHEAPEST ASDA FUEL.. But this time i put V-power (whatever it called) from SHELL. Lets see how it goes.

Edited by automass

Can anyone tell me when you fill up the tank from empty what RANGE does it give you in general for the same car? I know it changes based on driving style..but normally what is the RANGE you get in there?

Hopefully some will answer you again, but it is kind of obvious that if you get 10 gallons in which you can 45.4 litres and you had an Average as you pull in to fill up it shows the range at 500 miles or so.

If you were getting an average before of 37 mpg by the cars 'brain' and it shows 60 miles range, you might get after filling up 370 mile range.

You will find out over the next few tank fills you do what your car shows when you fill the tank.

Brimming a tank can have you drive maybe 80 miles before the 'Brain' can compute..

Odd 'Ranges' appearing is not unusual as Tom Jones sang.

PS

They do not sell in Imperial Gallons anymore at pumps or show that price,

but then we still drive in miles, someone forgot to erect the km signs, probably too late now.

Edited by Awayoffski

3 hours ago, automass said:

Can anyone tell me when you fill up the tank from empty what RANGE does it give you in general for the same car? I know it changes based on driving style..but normally what is the RANGE you get in there?

For the same size fill I have had everything from 450 to 650 miles. It is calculated on recent consumption rate extrapolated to the new amount of fuel in the tank.

Lowest reading has been in winter when I was using the engine aggressively to get to the garage quickly and the best was after a long gentle downhill drive of over thirty miles on a dual carriageway. Check it again after a more normal drive and it should read somewhere near right.

21 hours ago, automass said:

...No complain regarding MPG (i have enough of it)

20 hours ago, automass said:

See, I told you guys. this car is not giving enough MPG that anyone can expect it from. Out of those 500 miles almost 400miels were long stretch motorway miles. I am thinking, shall i take it to Halfords autocentre for 'fuel system cleaning service (Cost £35)'. Does anyone know if it is worth the money. I have already booked my car for Brake4Life transfer over..so i can ask them for the service if it is worth.

Yet here we go again...

• Like 1

Of you're so sure there's something actually wrong with the car why don't you just book it into a Skoda dealership and allow them to inspect the car.

taking your car to Halford for them to tap it with a screwdriver is doing nothing but wasting time and money.

Clearly you're unhappy so let someone look at it who is most likely to find a fault. Although personally I think it's not a problem with the car but with the driver

• Like 3

All right LewJo,I just wanted to know if taking car to Halford for fuel service is worth ot not and you answered it. Thanks for that..

I am not unhappy with the car. I just wanted to let u guys know how many miles I was able to drive for 50L fuel...I will let u guys know again when this tank will be empty.

Edited by automass

20 hours ago, automass said:

See, I told you guys. this car is not giving enough MPG that anyone can expect it from. Out of those 500 miles almost 400miels were long stretch motorway miles. I am thinking, shall i take it to Halfords autocentre for 'fuel system cleaning service (Cost £35)'. Does anyone know if it is worth the money. I have already booked my car for Brake4Life transfer over..s i can ask them for the service if it is worth.

Don't waste your money just get some archoil fuel cleaner ar6400 D instead of going to halfords

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiilydog said:

Don't waste your money just get some archoil fuel cleaner ar6400 D instead of going to halfords

Really! I've never heard of it. where to find it? it seems its an oil additive. isn't it

29 minutes ago, wiilydog said:

Thanks for that.. did you use it? does it really work? is it fuel additive or oil additive?