Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

On 09/03/2017 at 20:30, automass said:

Hi guys,

Following pictures are the summary of my London-Birmingham-London fuel consumption,Since Refuelling Consumption, Average Consumption and SKODA DATA SHEET regarding this car. During my motorway drive i have managed to raise the MPG up to 65mpg only, but that time i was driving 50mph for 10 miles in 5th gear as there were road works on M6.

I have tried my very best to get the potential highest MPG out of this car which includes driving always by recommended gear, stick to 70-75mph (obviously sometimes had to overtake and stick to 80mph for few minutes to catch up the time), coasting etc..but no way i could get to over 65MPG in long motor way.

My car setting was..Normal mode/eco mode, AC off, Tyres 225/45 17 91y (all round), tyre pressure rear 37psi, front 37.5psi, tyres ages are 8years, 6years and two 2years,

Fuel from ASDA, I used an injector cleaner (Lucas) after driving like 1.25 hours.

NB: READ THE FUEL CONSUMPTION SECTION FROM THE LAST PICTURES .

I JUST NEED YOUR OPINION GUYS. I KNOW THE FIGURES SHOWS ON THE SHEET IS THE HIGHEST MPG THAT CAN BE OBTAINED FROM THIS CAR IN A TEST LABORATORY. BUT I WANT TO COMPARE WHAT YOU ARE GETTING FROM SAME CAR. 

CFC.JPG

Since Refuel.JPG

Average consumption.JPG

CAP Details.JPG

The figure's u are getting are very good considering the milage on the car and the fact its weight is around 1700-1800kg's, That's alot for for little 1.6 cr tdi to pull along, you old citroen is a lot lighter at about 1300kg's plus the 1600 hdi is a pretty decent engine, which for the past few years has seen service in 90% of ford, mazda and volvo models.

Also take the figures on the handbook as a pinch of salt, because after 22 years as a mechanic/mot tester i have never seen ANY vehicle new or used match them.

In my old 07 Octavia 2.0 pd tdi the best i got around town was 32.3mpg on along i would get 57mpg, but they love to rev otherwise the mpg is bad.

Plus don't use supermarket fuel, it's gut rot for engines, always use premium fuels from SHEll, BP, ESSO or TEXICO dosen't have to be the V MAX type fuel because even the normal stuff has additives the help clean the fuel system to improve emissions and mpg, and will prove cheaper in the long term.

• Like 1

I appreciate your advice Ju1ian1001. but just to let you know that citroen and skoda has got the same engine size which is 1.6L and Citroen weighed only 45kg less than the Skoda.

I am also thinking to buy quality fuel from now onward and that's what i wanted to know about the fuel...thank you..finally you answered my question.

37 minutes ago, automass said:

I appreciate your advice Ju1ian1001. but just to let you know that citroen and skoda has got the same engine size which is 1.6L and Citroen weighed only 45kg less than the Skoda.

I am also thinking to buy quality fuel from now onward and that's what i wanted to know about the fuel...thank you..finally you answered my question.

The weight shown on the chassis plate is not what the vehicle actually weighs. it's the weight of a fully laden and fully equiped vehicle, my main job is MOT testing and brake rollers weigh the vehicle before the brake test is carried, thats how i know there is such a big difference in weight, the typical difference is around 150kg-200kg diference + weight of fuel + weight of driver and what ever is in the boot. Both the citroen you mentioned and the skoda use a 1598cc 16 valve turbocharged diesel, the HDi in the citreon is almost 20 years old in design i it first released for sale at the tail of if 1997 (several updates have been carried out but the basic design is 20 years old) where as the VAG 1.6 CR TDi fitted in your skoda is somewhat newer in design and replaced the old 1.9 PD TDi, and imo is not suited to the octavia due to the weight of these, much better suited to a fabia. 105bhp and 270nm of tourque is a bit weak in an octavia

2 hours ago, SWBoy said:

Because the volume of crud is contained within a smaller volume of fuel so the amount of crud per volume of fuel is greater, making the rate of clogging up the fuel filter faster.

But any 'crud' would sink to the bottom of the tank, which is where the fuel pump collects it from :thinking:

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Plus don't use supermarket fuel, it's gut rot for engines,

There'll be a lot of motors with gut rot, then.

• Like 2

Just now, Tilt said:

There'll be a lot of motors with gut rot, then.

Yep, sure will be, if i have to (not very often i might add) i wills put a fuel cleaner in and now i run a petrol again an octane booster.

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Plus don't use supermarket fuel, it's gut rot for engines, always use premium fuels from SHEll, BP, ESSO or TEXICO dosen't have to be the V MAX type fuel because even the normal stuff has additives the help clean the fuel system to improve emissions and mpg, and will prove cheaper in the long term.

You're aware where they buy their tat fuel from aren't you????? 

There's minimal benefits to a premium brand over supermarket brand. Even the branded premium ranges offer minimal benefits over standard fuels. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gadgetman said:

There's minimal benefits to a premium brand over supermarket brand. Even the branded premium ranges offer minimal benefits over standard fuels. 

yes i am but i have had trouble in the past with supermarket fuel, when a had my rover 45 (many years ago now) i was using supermarket fuel on it's own, it burnt a valve due to it, never used it again, repaired the rover with a good second hand head and MLS headgasket kit, shame as the engine over all was in tip top condition with only 48k on the clock. the car was very well looked after.

before i carried out the repair there was no signs of doom apart from a missfire on no 1 cylinder, not even dreaded HGF which the K series is famous for. 

49 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

The weight shown on the chassis plate is not what the vehicle actually weighs. it's the weight of a fully laden and fully equiped vehicle, my main job is MOT testing and brake rollers weigh the vehicle before the brake test is carried, thats how i know there is such a big difference in weight, the typical difference is around 150kg-200kg diference + weight of fuel + weight of driver and what ever is in the boot. Both the citroen you mentioned and the skoda use a 1598cc 16 valve turbocharged diesel, the HDi in the citreon is almost 20 years old in design i it first released for sale at the tail of if 1997 (several updates have been carried out but the basic design is 20 years old) where as the VAG 1.6 CR TDi fitted in your skoda is somewhat newer in design and replaced the old 1.9 PD TDi, and imo is not suited to the octavia due to the weight of these, much better suited to a fabia. 105bhp and 270nm of tourque is a bit weak in an octavia

I didn't give those weights from chasis plates. those were in their specific manual.  The Citroen i owned was registered 2006 and variant was VTR+(top of the range). I have double checked the manual and now i can confirm that

The GVW for Citroen(DPF) is: 1800kgs, Fuel Tank Capacity: 60litres

The GVW for SKODA Octy is 1855kgs, Fuel Tank Capacity: 50liters

That old Citroen also gave me better MPG.

Just now, automass said:

I didn't give those weights from chasis plates. those were in their specific manual.  The Citroen i owned was registered 2006 and variant was VTR+(top of the range). I have double checked the manual and now i can confirm that

The GVW for Citroen(DPF) is: 1800kgs, Fuel Tank Capacity: 60litres

The GVW for SKODA Octy is 1855kgs, Fuel Tank Capacity: 50liters

That old Citroen also gave me better MPG.

As said i MOT vehicle for a living and my brake machine weighs every vehicle i test to give accurate readings, there is a bigger difference then 55kgs between a citreon and an octavia, the manuals and chassis tags give maximum weights not actual weights. The citroen is a lot lighter that is is why the the mpg was better. Take book weights and mpg as a pinch of salt. real world weights and mpg is would should be taken into account, next time you have your vehicle MOT'ed ask for a brake printout then you will see what your vehicle weighs, it will surprise u

13 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

yes i am but i have had trouble in the past with supermarket fuel, when a had my rover 45 (many years ago now) i was using supermarket fuel on it's own, it burnt a valve due to it, never used it again, repaired the rover with a good second hand head and MLS headgasket kit, shame as the engine over all was in tip top condition with only 48k on the clock. the car was very well looked after.

before i carried out the repair there was no signs of doom apart from a missfire on no 1 cylinder, not even dreaded HGF which the K series is famous for. 

Supermarket fuel (or any fuel for that matter) won't have done that on its own. 

The other common type of valvefailure is valve burn, or burnt valves. Essentially this is caused by combustion gases escaping between the valve and valve seat when they are not sealing correctly. ... Normally this type of failure affects the exhaustvalves only, but it can also damage the intake valves.

8 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

As said i MOT vehicle for a living and my brake machine weighs every vehicle i test to give accurate readings, there is a bigger difference then 55kgs between a citreon and an octavia, the manuals and chassis tags give maximum weights not actual weights. The citroen is a lot lighter that is is why the the mpg was better. Take book weights and mpg as a pinch of salt. real world weights and mpg is would should be taken into account, next time you have your vehicle MOT'ed ask for a brake printout then you will see what your vehicle weighs, it will surprise u

I seemed to have found brake test report of My previous Citroen..below is the picture..is it what you were talking about..i highlighted the weight.

weight.JPG

Edited by automass

@automassyou should easily get 50mpg with any fuel. 

But your driving style and so many factors will affect your mpg. 

No manufacturer has anything resembling realistic figures for mpg. Our Touran with the 1.6 says we should easily get 70mpg on a motorway. Most we've ever seen is 58 on summer fuel. Otherwise it's usually about 52mpg.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, automass said:

The Citroen i owned was registered 2006 and variant was VTR+(top of the range). .

Didn't they do a VTS in that??? Thought VTS was top of the range.

5 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Supermarket fuel (or any fuel for that matter) won't have done that on its own. 

The other common type of valvefailure is valve burn, or burnt valves. Essentially this is caused by combustion gases escaping between the valve and valve seat when they are not sealing correctly. ... Normally this type of failure affects the exhaustvalves only, but it can also damage the intake valves.

Normally correct but we had a fuel sample checked, and it had a high level of methenol in it which increases combustion tempretures which caused the burnt valve, we did change the valve whith out grinding in and it seal perfectly, when i went to have the head skimmed he had a built 1800 cc head so bought that instead (before u ask the valve did indeed get lapped in.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, automass said:

I seemed to have found brake test report of My previous Citroen..below is the picture..is it what you were talking about..i highlighted the weight.

weight.JPG

Yes that what i ment so your citreon wighed 1450kgs, incidently i work form Halfords autocentre

1 minute ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Yes that what i ment so your citreon wighed 1450kgs, incidently i work form Halfords autocentre

All right..now i got what you meant.. so what Skoda Octavia weigh then?

2 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

Normally correct but we had a fuel sample checked, and it had a high level of methenol in it which increases combustion tempretures which caused the burnt valve, we did change the valve whith out grinding in and it seal perfectly, when i went to have the head skimmed he had a built 1800 cc head so bought that instead (before u ask the valve did indeed get lapped in.)

What did the supermarket say? Assume they covered all costs? 

If high methanol levels got in, they'd have seen a lot of customers raising complaints as their valves all burnt out. 

Putting too much engine cleaner in too little fuel does this doesn't it? 

More than half the passenger cars in the UK need diesel and many of those millions of cars get it from Supermarket Filling Stations that get it from the buyers buying it on the world market.

You hear such absolute garbage on Supermarket fuels, Big Oil Company branded Diesel and somehow sub-standard derv that some manage to find while everyone else just fills up out of the same tanks at a filling station.

http://petrolprices.com/blog/supermarket-fuel-and-premium-petrol-the-lowdown.html 

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

What did the supermarket say? Assume they covered all costs? 

If high methanol levels got in, they'd have seen a lot of customers raising complaints as their valves all burnt out. 

Putting too much engine cleaner in too little fuel does this doesn't it? 

Didn't bother trying to get costs back as part were cheap and I did the job myself,but have never used super market fuel unless i have to. If I use fuel cleaner it's always with a full tank as that's how it works best.

p.s the rover cost me about £200 including the head and about a days labour to repair, sadly the automatic gearbox blow about 2 years later, the car had only done 80k.

& Petrol (Gasoline.)

http://platts.com/latest-news/oil/london/uk-still-buying-winter-gasoline-as-european-refiners-8114744 

Some that were not sniffing glue in 1986 might remember when Royal Dutch Shell's scientists were sniffing lighter fuel.

The wonder formulated 'Formula Shell' that was not so kind to some engines.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gadgetman said:

That's not strictly true of Diesel - Supermarkets will import fuel for starters, as well as add Bio additives (Bio Diesel) that the likes of Shell / BP won't. In colder weather this can cause issues with clogging fuel filters if used excessively.

Petrol will make no difference however, but they will still use different additives.

Edited by vtec to vrs!