Crazy Fuel Consumption 1.6TDi Elegance 13plate

4 hours ago, automass said:

Common guys, I am talking about fuel tank capacity here...don't be such a d....if u don't wanna share info..

I'm not intending to have a go, but you have asked several questions on this thread that are already covered in other threads on this (very helpful) forum.

I have a similar experience of not being able to put much fuel into my Octavia when "empty" and a quick search on here showed a few threads of interest like this one:

so I didn't bother posting a question as it looks like it's a common experience.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Give it some time, fill the tank a few times and see, 

your car seems to be unusual, maybe there is a few kilo of heroin secreted in the tank or gold bars taking up space.

You maybe bought a car from a Car Supermarket that actually is worth more than you paid for it.

Might answer for all that carry on when you first got it, in out, faulty filler etc.

Octavia used for Channel Ferry Crossings rather than Fiat Multipla or Ford Galaxy's.

Lol, that will explain the fuel tank replacement and damaged filler neck. Pesky gold bars.

Only 385.4 miles (local and most of the miles were 50mph road) by 39.66 litres of Synergy Fuel bought from Shell. So MPG 44.12.

Infoteinment said Since Refuelling: 48mpg though.

• 2 years later...
On 24/02/2017 at 22:21, automass said:

I bought this car last night thinking that it would be very economical. 61mpg for city, 85mpg motorway and combined is 74.3mpg. that's what performance data said. But irony is its worst car regarding fuel cconsumption. I have been driving since last night and couldn't even see average mpg goes more than 37mpg..I have been driving in ECO MMODE and driving roads were dual carriageway and city.

Now I have filled the tank to the full (50ltrs) and it has given me 440 miles as per estimation..Can't believe, if we work out it comes like 39mpg.  

I am new to Octavia..so please someone help me if I am missing something..

Mileage of the car is 63k and 1st registered date is 2nd Dec 2013. Last servicing was done 2k miles ago..

Hi mate, have you figured out what was the problem with your Skoda for poor mpg, I've purchased a 65 reg Octavia Se L auto from a dealership 3 weeks ago and it's giving me terrible mpg, it's going around 29 to 31 mpg on a normal gentle driving around the city. Is it normal? I was expecting something different from this 1.6L with 34000 miles on the clock. 

What sort of mileage have you done in the 3 weeks since you bought it? What types of journeys have you been on?

How are you calculating the fuel economy, manually or simply by going off the onboard computer?

If the car was sat on the dealers forecourt for a while and has spent several months on short test drives and getting shunted around the forecourt it'll no doubt take some time and distance to get the mpg back to normal levels.

It may also have needed several DPF regenerations whilst you've had it which will also eat into fuel economy.

We're also now seeing the introduction of winter diesel and colder temperatures which again adversely affects economy.

5 hours ago, Musa007 said:

Hi mate, have you figured out what was the problem with your Skoda for poor mpg, I've purchased a 65 reg Octavia Se L auto from a dealership 3 weeks ago and it's giving me terrible mpg, it's going around 29 to 31 mpg on a normal gentle driving around the city. Is it normal? I was expecting something different from this 1.6L with 34000 miles on the clock. 

Around town is a 1.6TDi DSG in winter on short trips them 30mpg maybe possible if it's throwing in some DPF regens.

On a run out in summer somewhat different.

No photo description available.

GUYS, LETS CLOSE THIS THREAD. I AM NOT DRIVING THIS CAR ANYMORE FOLLOWED BY AN ACCIDENT. SOME IDIOT HIT MY CAR FROM THE BACK AND SUBSEQUENTLY INSURANCE COMPANY WROTE IT OFF.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO BUY ANOTHER CAR. PROBABLY PETROL OR PETROL HYBRID THIS TIME. THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVICE ALONG THE WAY. 

Edited by automass

11 hours ago, automass said:

GUYS, LETS CLOSE THIS THREAD. I AM NOT DRIVING THIS CAR ANYMORE FOLLOWED BY AN ACCIDENT. SOME IDIOT HIT MY CAR FROM THE BACK AND SUBSEQUENTLY INSURANCE COMPANY WROTE IT OFF.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO BUY ANOTHER CAR. PROBABLY PETROL OR PETROL HYBRID THIS TIME. THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVICE ALONG THE WAY. 

Why close the thread?

Just unsubscribe if you don't want to contribute further.

Musa007 is a new member and obviously did a search and asked for advice. 

It's what the forums all about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 21:17, logiclee said:

Around town is a 1.6TDi DSG in winter on short trips them 30mpg maybe possible if it's throwing in some DPF regens.

On a run out in summer somewhat different.

No photo description available.ATM I'm getting around 32 to 36 mpg driving in city, 5 to 10 miles trips from cold, initially when I picked up the car from the dealer it was doing DPF regen quite often and some of them left incomplete due to my short trips, then one day I took it to the motorway and drove 20 min above 2000 REVS, since that day hasnt started regen process. I've been to a long trip from Birmingham to Manchester on motorway and I was just hitting 56 to 57 mpg on cruise control, I don't think it's normal, I'd love to see that mpg shown in your snapshot. 

Basically with a full tank I've done 410 miles and out of these 410 half is on motorway trip from Birmingham to Manchester. What would you reckon is it normal? I've wrote a letter to the dealer that I'll have a refund because the car is not of a satisfactory quality. 

Birmingham to Manchester on a motorway in winter with a 1.6 automatic and you're complaining at 56-57mpg?  There's no basis for complaint with that figure.

Just like the low extreme you experienced when car was doing regens, the picture logiclee posted above is the other extreme. His average speed was 39mph over a distance of 50 miles which he covered in 1hr 16min. And that's summer time . Your journey motorway jaunt from Birmingham to Manchester was completely different. Apart from ambient temp which makes a big difference, the road surface condition, wind direction etc all influence fuel economy. Driving style also has a massive affect.

Rather than listen to people over just one trip or even a few trips, look for a 'real world' example of what mpg you should expect over the long-term. There's a website called HonestJohn who conducts a 'RealMpg' survey. many owners submit their average fuel consumption, the statistians then apply a fomula to ignore the extremes and an average mpg for an average driver is worked out. It's by far the most accurate of any websites I've come across for what mpg to expect.

Now it all depends on what 1.6tdi engine you have but:

105ps version of your engine should return 51.4mpg / the 110ps vesion 55.6mpg / 115ps version 61.6mpg

PS - to get best mpg do not use cruise control.

Skoda Octavia Real-world MPG

Edited by Guest

On 09/11/2019 at 23:01, automass said:

Replace the fuel tank? 😊

• Haha 1