MPG on 190tdi DSG

Pretty impressed so far with the fuel economy on the 190 DSG.  

First automatic I've had in years - last one was a Peugeot 307 petrol auto and it was a thirsty beast - could literally see the needle going down as you drove!

My overall mpg in the Superb is currently sitting at 42.5 but that includes a lot of short journeys -and it has been very cold- so heating, heated seats etc are all up high.

Did an 80 mile round trip today, sitting at 70mph on the motorway, a few 50mph areas in roadworks etc, and the overall return was 57mpg.  A bit milder today too.

Previous longer journeys have returned high 40's/low 50's.

Didnt use the ACC but I'm not sure this affects things.

How are everyone else's engines performing?

I have the 190 DSG and am getting about 48 mpg.  I do two 170 mile round trips a week mainly motorway and good A roads.  I sit at about 85 mph with no air con.  Occasional spurt up to 90 mph.  On other days it is mainly around town.  I have noticed a drop from 50 mpg since last year but I put that down to winter driving (slower warm up and heater on etc).  Overall very happy with the beast.  

I am getting around 45 mpg with mixed motorway commute and town driving. On a steady run on a motorway I get about 55. Out of interest what driving mode are people using, normal, sport or economy? I only started using the eco mode recently (only done 2500 miles so far) and it definitely helps mpg when in the coast mode as there are several gentle motorway slopes on my commute where lifting off the throttle in other modes would result in unwanted engine braking.

21,000 miles on mine and struggling to get past 42 average which is well below where it should be, and way down on what many of the competetitors can achieve.  Friends with 400bhp+ 3.0L BMWs are getting this mpg and better with no trouble.

I use normal mode most of the time and the flappy paddles to get the box into the right gear.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

On 2/28/2017 at 18:23, FelisBengalensis said:

21,000 miles on mine and struggling to get past 42 average which is well below where it should be, and way down on what many of the competetitors can achieve.  Friends with 400bhp+ 3.0L BMWs are getting this mpg and better with no trouble.

I use normal mode most of the time and the flappy paddles to get the box into the right gear.

Well your friends are lying to you then. Or they are the world's greatest hypermilers. I was lucky to get high 20s in my M car. If I drove like a saint. A little bit of fun and 17 mpg is what I lived with.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 18:09, Speedman said:

I am getting around 45 mpg with mixed motorway commute and town driving. On a steady run on a motorway I get about 55. Out of interest what driving mode are people using, normal, sport or economy? I only started using the eco mode recently (only done 2500 miles so far) and it definitely helps mpg when in the coast mode as there are several gentle motorway slopes on my commute where lifting off the throttle in other modes would result in unwanted engine braking.

Mostly Normal mode for me.  With the occasional dip into Sport to stretch it's legs on some back roads.

350 mile round trip today, some motorway and a good bit of town driving.  Poked it up towards 80 a few times and a few licks of sport mode on back roads.  Much colder too.

Also used the ACC a lot

Ave mpg 48.7.

Edited by Mickey43

On 2/28/2017 at 18:23, FelisBengalensis said:

Is it that you are averaging 42mpg and that they can get up to 42mpg?

If so then there is the difference. I'm sure you can achieve over 42mpg on a run but are averaging 42.

They can get up to 42mpg but their average will be less.

4 hours ago, Hannibal said:

Does anyone know how mpg is affected for the 190 dsg if car also has 4x4?  I assume a couple of mpg off the pace but no more?  

I think it's about 2-3 mpg, I get around 50 mpg on my last refueling, 46 mpg since I bought the car (2000 miles).

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 20:48, FelisBengalensis said:

No the M50D triple turbo cars are all perfectly capable of 43-45mpg with no problem at all.

Perhaps for a short while under ideal conditions, but not as an average. Autocar got 34 on a touring run and averaged 27. The manufacturer claims 42mpg. And we all know what manufacturer claimed mpg's are like.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/x5/mpg

Edited by indyjukebox

• 4 weeks later...

Well almost coming up to a year of ownership and just refuelled today got 40 mpg, since new I have averaged about 38mpg, but I am not exactly a high mileage user lot of local stuff and most of the longer runs have been with a roof box fitted and fully loaded with camping gear, the account below at FUELLY will give you full details of all refills if you need to see it in a little more detail. the lower readings tend to be due to me sitting in the car stationary with engine on in the cold waiting for Grandchildren, to finish school. When I am driving somewhere Ill be in the top 10% speed wise not a lot ever overtakes me.

I've had my 190 dsg 4x4 since October and I do quite a lot of short runs then 750 mile round trip to Aberdeen . Like a couple of other posters I don't hang around on long runs but I'm not an idiot. Around town it's normally about 40 (sometimes even a bit below) and on the Aberdeen run high 40's. Once I think it just cracked 50. Overall a little disappointing  but maybe I didn't take the brochure figures with a  big enough inch of salt!