Dishonest Main Dealer

petdeb

Can't help but feel that the manufacturers are architects of their own misfortune here as far as the public's attitude is concerned.

They'd spent years and millions building up the reputation of brands and getting away from the image of back street motor traders and sawdust in gearboxes and then, when economic times and the regulatory framework got  a bit tough momentarily, threw it all away with the big lies on vehicle emissions.

And once the big dogs had set that environment, it gave the green light for all the other lesser gods in the organisations to tell fibs in respect of other issues e.g. filled-for-life gearbox oil, coolant, power steering oil, fuel filters to their particular audiences.

You can't help but notice, since the 2008 crash, that the business and ethical standards across all the corporates have taken a nose-dive - what may have been behaviour that was restricted to the boardrooms seems to have percolated all the way down to the lowest levels in organisations. I think it signifies incompetent management and a loss of control at the top management level - these managers are just stooge placeholders for the City interests. Nowadays, Capitalism seems to be all about just diverting an income stream for personal or small group use, rather then being a benefit to a wider population.

That said, I suppose motor dealers have to be on their guard against the possibility of customers trying it on as well.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Clunkclick said:

What a nice astute piece of writing Clunkclick.  You hit on many societal problems.  Personally, when I hear criticisms of those at the bottom of the pile, I observe, But they are merely copying the disgraceful behaviour of those at the top - our so called betters - they would have us believe.  But we digress a little :cool:.   

What I'm interested in now are opinions on how I might best present my experience when posting it to the Agents Section of the forum.  Just a link to this with a heading, or a full explanation?

If a light comes on a fault will be recorded, if the light goes out on its own the fault will be there, but it will be downgraded to sporadic.

The reason that the other dealers did not see a code is because it's extremely likely that Simpsons erased it.

The code that they retrieved would have pointed them to the general area, which when looking, they found evidence of the cause being a non warrantable cause and advised you of the repair costs.

Why did you go to all the trouble of trawling around the dealers, when, presumably, the car drove all the way back from the South of France with no recurrence of the light coming on?

Plugging into the car takes time, which costs money, so what did Simpsons charge for this?, also as there was no fault to be found afterwards, what did the other dealers charge you?, as certainly they would not have got paid to do it by Skoda.

10 hours ago, fordfan said:

If a light comes on a fault will be recorded, if the light goes out on its own the fault will be there, but it will be downgraded to sporadic.

The reason that the other dealers did not see a code is because it's extremely likely that Simpsons erased it.

The code that they retrieved would have pointed them to the general area, which when looking, they found evidence of the cause being a non warrantable cause and advised you of the repair costs.

Why did you go to all the trouble of trawling around the dealers, when, presumably, the car drove all the way back from the South of France with no recurrence of the light coming on?

Plugging into the car takes time, which costs money, so what did Simpsons charge for this?, also as there was no fault to be found afterwards, what did the other dealers charge you?, as certainly they would not have got paid to do it by Skoda.

Thanks for your views fordfan, but I don't think you've fully understood.  Please read through again. 

16 hours ago, fordfan said:

The reason that the other dealers did not see a code is because it's extremely likely that Simpsons erased it

Fordfan, the dealer was claiming that the sensor wiring loom had been fire damaged by the piece of paper and required replacement - said piece of paper was seen by  to be relatively intact and still partially legible (from arms-length) - that was when the OP got suspicious and took the vehicle to the other dealers, who both said that the sensor and its wiring loom were undamaged and working correctly.  

26 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

the dealer was claiming that the sensor wiring loom had been fire damaged by the piece of paper-

Allegedly.........................

1 minute ago, Tilt said:

Allegedly.........................

I guess that you should always use that term as a precaution, but allowing for the case as stated by the OP, and it's difficult to understand why he would want to "invent" this case, I rather think that given the dealers reported actions (and SUKs subsequent offer of recompense) the stated facts of this case suggest this all goes a little bit further than "allegedly"  

8 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Pop back to the OP and read. 

'Service Manager'

so a Dealership Employee possibly / allegedly of the named Dealership.

Obviously the employer is responsible for the actions of their employees, but I use the term "dealer" to describe an employee (or even the principal) working for that organisation. 

As it is the Dealer Principal / Director of the Group seemed to back up the Service Manager who might or might not be a Technician or was just relaying the message received from the Master Tech or Technician or just his diagnosis.

Bit of a joke really all in.   Always good to get 2 sides to a story, but that is unlikely.

22 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Obviously the employer is responsible for the actions of their employees, but I use the term "dealer" to describe an employee (or even the principal) working for that organisation. 

After finding that the fault claims were false, I did then take it up with the owner, Neil Simpson.  He initially stated (over the phone) he would keenly investigate the matter, but added his Service Manager would be absent the following day.  When I did receive any result, I contacted Neil Simpson again to ask why.  That was when things began to get a bit nasty.

I do have a copy of the Simpsons quotation for repairing the damage which states:  

"fire damage caused lamba probe damage."

"Replace Lamba Probe and wring repairs"

No one would have wished this event not to have happened more than I did.   I valued the previous service and relationship I had with staff at Simpsons Skoda, but most of those I knew no longer work there. 

On 05/03/2017 at 14:34, Awayoffski said:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/64141-simpsons-skoda-preston-ltd-preston 

Just post it as the next post for that dealer.

A Mk3 Fabia owner posted last week.   Just post your experience SIMPSONS SKODA PRESTON & your dealings with the Employee & then Neil Simpson.

That will let others form their own opinions, and maybe SIMPSONS SKODA PRESTON will want to reply putting their side of the story.

Or maybe not....

This is the Repair Quote 

Lamba Probe damage 2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

So that Lambda Probe is readily available £50 or so, and there is no sign or burning found by the other Technicians that have checked.

That's correct.  When no fault or damage was showing, the 2nd Technician asked me to inspect the car with him in the workshop.  He'd laid the harness along the top of the engine and allowed me to run my fingers along the length.  It was clean and shiny and I said, it looks and feels like brand new and the technician agreed with me.  

• Like 2

TBH it's a weird way to try to con you.

If I was going to fleece you I'd have said a duff bearing or metal shavings in the oil filter.

But not "this random bit of singed paper set your car on fire".

And technically lambda probes don't actually get hot enough to 'light' paper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aspman said:

If I was going to fleece you I'd have said a duff bearing or metal shavings in the oil filter.

When I first raised the Fault light with the Service manager, I just happened to mention that on a previous Fabia I'd bought off them a warning light had appeared and it turned out to be a faulty Lambda Probe.  Maybe that gave him the idea. 

14 hours ago, Aspman said:

It just sounds like one of the stories my mate used to make up.............

He had a wild imagination. His stories were that far fetched, but as he seemed to genuinely believe himself, you just had to laugh....and it was all the time, most of what came out of his mouth, but so funny.

Agreed, A very weird way to try and con someone with a singed bit of paper.

3 hours ago, Tilt said:

It just sounds like one of the stories my mate used to make up.............

He had a wild imagination. His stories were that far fetched, but as he seemed to genuinely believe himself, you just had to laugh....and it was all the time, most of what came out of his mouth, but so funny.

Agreed, A very weird way to try and con someone with a singed bit of paper.

I still sense a certain amount of disbelief that employees of this firm would, according to the evidence,  try an apparently indisputable attempt to defraud a customer. I am shocked that SUK do not appear to be interested in sanctioning this company.   

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

I still sense a certain amount of disbelief that employees of this firm would, according to the evidence,  try an apparently indisputable attempt to defraud a customer. I am shocked that SUK do not appear to be interested in sanctioning this company.   

I'm not, as seems some companies are all about short term profit and in ripping people off they can't see how this will effect their business long term. It all rolls down from the top unfortunately as they will aware of the practices when they see the profits suddenly rise within the service department along with the number of complaints and disputes. Based on the increased profits they will pay themselves higher bonuses and wages. When their customers go elsewhere they will do more scams and start cutting corners and only at point will SUK take action when the brand starts to get tarnished but by then it's all too late.  

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

I'm not, as seems some companies are all about short term profit and in ripping people off they can't see how this will effect their business long term. It all rolls down from the top unfortunately as they will aware of the practices when they see the profits suddenly rise within the service department along with the number of complaints and disputes. Based on the increased profits they will pay themselves higher bonuses and wages. When their customers go elsewhere they will do more scams and start cutting corners and only at point will SUK take action when the brand starts to get tarnished but by then it's all too late.  

Actually, perhaps I didn't make myself perfectly clear - I was referring to some other posters appearing to not believe the OPs account of events.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Actually, perhaps I didn't make myself perfectly clear - I was referring to some other posters appearing to not believe the OPs account of events.

I assure everyone that this that what I have said is the absolute truth.  I would have much preferred it was not the case.   Skoda UK investigated it and after contacting the other Agents involved and accepted it was genuine. 

Yes, I had read it that you were surprised at their actions. We shouldn't be in a situation to having to query these kind of scams by a nice shiney dealership and expect it from some greasy back street garage but in all honesty it is probably the latter who is valuing his customers knowing they are his livelihood and the future of his business.

3 minutes ago, petdeb said:

I assure everyone that this that what I have said is the absolute truth.  I would have much preferred it was not the case.   Skoda UK investigated it and after contacting the other Agents involved and accepted it was genuine. 

But SUK were not prepared to do anything about it - I've got that right haven't I? 

4 minutes ago, petdeb said:

I don't think anyone is doubting you, just more surprised that you've been subject to this scam and then not received the backup SUK that you should have. 

48 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

I assure everyone that what I've said is the absolute truth.  I would have much preferred it had not happened.   Skoda UK investigated it and after contacting the other Agents involved they accepted it was genuine. 

Skoda UK sent me an email to say the amount of the attempted fraud could be used at any Dealership and I should copy their email and present it when having any work done.  What I wanted was for them to also take Simpson to task to make sure it did not happen again to someone else.  Oh, and also to compensate me for the time and miles I had covered in my car to get the evidence.

• Like 1